• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vick signs 1 year with Eagles

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
His contract is basically a year to year contract and 8.5 million isn't exactly a massive amount to pay a starting QB. So I don't see his contract being a big problem unless it's to a cap strapped team that needs to save every penny.

The 9ers are going to take whatever the best offer at the last second and run with that. If it's a 7th they'll take it and if it's a 3rd they'll really take it.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to go Philly... fuck up people's FA QB plans!!!!

U94zt.gif
lol I hate cats. I really wish people wouldn't be offended by the idea of a cat genocide.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His contract is fairly reasonable for a starting QB, but I wouldn't say it is ideal for a stop-gap QB with a $5 mil salary guarantee from what I've read. Alex Smith's agent structured the deal this way to keep some leverage if/when this scenario played out.

If a team really likes him compared to the other options out there they'll pull the trigger on that contract and eat it if necessary. But it can easily deter a team that is on the fence, or say a team that wants him to compete with another QB on the roster for the starting spot.

Unless I had a history with him and was comfortable with how he'd fit into the system (say Norv), I'd be very hesitant to make a trade and potentially be on the hook for that guarantee when he probably won't be able to immediately adapt to a new system with new players. I guess you can argue that he has experience with about every system, at this point in his career, but I'd still be very wary of making the trade unless I pretty much knew the restructure would go through.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract is fairly reasonable for a starting QB, but I wouldn't say it is ideal for a stop-gap QB with a $5 mil salary guarantee from what I've read. Alex Smith's agent structured the deal this way to keep some leverage if/when this scenario played out.

If a team really likes him compared to the other options out there they'll pull the trigger on that contract and eat it if necessary. But it can easily deter a team that is on the fence, or say a team that wants him to compete with another QB on the roster for the starting spot.

Unless I had a history with him and was comfortable with how he'd fit into the system (say Norv), I'd be very hesitant to make a trade and potentially be on the hook for that guarantee when he probably won't be able to immediately adapt to a new system with new players. I guess you can argue that he has experience with about every system, at this point in his career, but I'd still be very wary of making the trade unless I pretty much knew the restructure would go through.

Well, for his sake, I hope there is somebody who wants to take him and his salary and I hope this weeds out those who are closed-minded on him purely as a stopgap. I know that anyone who takes him has to consider that as a possibility and plan accordingly - heck, I could even say that's a likelihood - but someone who isn't willing to trade much and is dissuaded from even a one-year rental price at the 20th place contract, won't be "open-minded and prepared." They'll be close minded and prepared - replacing him before they even get him. I am not talking about likelihoods here, just what I would hope for him. For his sake, I hope someone will trade a decent pick and not restructure.

For our sake, I hope that too because it's the best deal we could get. I would hope that the team who is on the fence would make the trade thinking they can restructure, rather than walking away at that price. All of them are on the fence, but one may have their feet on his side of the fence, so to speak, instead of looking over their shoulder. Does that analogy make sense?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What team in the NFL currently falls under the category of Team A, which also needs an upgrade at QB? I can't really think of one. There are the dumpster fire organizations like the Raiders, Chiefs, and Cardinals, but I wouldn't necessarily consider them teams with a "good nucleus of young players". Chiefs are the closest in my mind, but even then, Smith would have to deal with one of the worst OLs in football.

I dont think the Cardinals are that far away honestly. Could also see a team like the Vikes take a stab at Smith.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually if the Vikings were smart they would get a trade done IMO. Alex has already proven that he is capable of managing a game for a team with elite running game and a good defense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually if the Vikings were smart they would get a trade done IMO. Alex has already proven that he is capable of managing a game for a team with elite running game and a good defense.

Trade Ponder or keep him, too? Do you see him as someone who will improve but be below or at Smith's level? If you think Ponder will be better, stick with him. He's marginally younger (but in NFL terms, big). Do you just want Smith to mentor Ponder? (If so, count me out.)

Where would you trade Ponder that would be best for him, if you did? (Assuming you don't dislike him.) Trade Percy for Smith and trade Ponder to another team for a WR? Not sure if Ponder makes enough that they can't have both. Harvin is good but wants out. It sounds mutual. (Talking about YOU, not a GM of the teams.)

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Ponder or keep him, too? Do you see him as someone who will improve but be below or at Smith's level? If you think Ponder will be better, stick with him. He's marginally younger (but in NFL terms, big). Do you just want Smith to mentor Ponder? (If so, count me out.)

Where would you trade Ponder that would be best for him, if you did? (Assuming you don't dislike him.) Trade Percy for Smith and trade Ponder to another team for a WR? (Talking about YOU, not a GM of the teams.)

Id keep Ponder as a backup I think Christian can eventually be OK but Minnesota is a team with a great running game, a very good defense and elite special teams. The ONLY thing holding them back is the QB position. Now Alex is not elite but he is more than capable of taking a team to a SB and the Vikes need a QB that has that ability.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id keep Ponder as a backup I think Christian can eventually be OK but Minnesota is a team with a great running game, a very good defense and elite special teams. The ONLY thing holding them back is the QB position. Now Alex is not elite but he is more than capable of taking a team to a SB and the Vikes need a QB that has that ability.

:doh: You're a Falcons fan. I knew that. For some reason, I associated you with a Vikings fan because you weren't a Niners fan. All foreigners are alike.

But that doesn't mean your opinion is worth less than a Viking fan, I just geared the question to you as if you were. That's why I even mentioned Percy Harvin.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Id trade Harvin for Smith, I may trade Harvin for another quality wideout or (in Minnesotas case) a few draft picks. You may be forced to trade Ponder even if you didnt want to just based off of money but with the new pay scale instituted in 2011 I think you should be able to keep them both.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Id trade Harvin for Smith, I may trade Harvin for another quality wideout or (in Minnesotas case) a few draft picks. You may be forced to trade Ponder even if you didnt want to just based off of money but with the new pay scale instituted in 2011 I think you should be able to keep them both.

Hahaha!! So, looky here what the cat dragged in - Hey rmilia1 - So have your wounds healed? Mine still have a ways to go.

Okay, so you were wrong about Kap (Hey, I tried to tell you ;) ) But what I am curious about is how much are you willing to admit you were wrong - In other words, what are you objective thoughts about Kap today?

Honest question, there will be no follow-up debate; I'm just interested in your opinion and how much it has changed - if any.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha!! So, looky here what the cat dragged in - Hey rmilia1 - So have your wounds healed? Mine still have a ways to go.

Okay, so you were wrong about Kap (Hey, I tried to tell you ;) ) But what I am curious about is how much are you willing to admit you were wrong - In other words, what are you objective thoughts about Kap today?

Honest question, there will be no follow-up debate; I'm just interested in your opinion and how much it has changed - if any.

I mean, there's no debate, if you know what I mean. But I couldn't promise that there would be no debate. For example, there's no question that the sun rises from the East, but I could certainly ask you if it did. I guess it takes two to debate, and if you choose not to entertain any wild claims, and just laugh, there wouldn't be a debate. (Just saying it doesn't have to be close or questioned for there to be a debate. Maybe this is similar to if I punched Mike Tyson, there wouldn't like be a fight.)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, there's no debate, if you know what I mean. But I couldn't promise that there would be no debate.

Yessir, I know what you mean - My no debate policy here is simply referring to disagreeing with and trying to change his opinion.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey B, honest thoughts on Kaep are much the same as what they were. I think he is supremely talented, I think he was the better choice based off of skill but not sure he was the right choice for your team this year. The one thing I will say is that I dont think Alex could have led you guys back from 17 back in the Atlanta game or 22 back in the SB like Kaep did so I guess in that sense it was a good choice because you guys probably would have lost the NFC title game this year without the change. To me it was never a question of ability, just a question of the timing of the move. That said I think the strides you will see made this offeseason should have you VERY excited. I whole offeseason to improve all while knowing youa re the starter and getting starter reps in camp should make for a way way better version even compared to what we saw this year ( which was pretty solid)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey B, honest thoughts on Kaep are much the same as what they were. I think he is supremely talented, I think he was the better choice based off of skill but not sure he was the right choice for your team this year. The one thing I will say is that I dont think Alex could have led you guys back from 17 back in the Atlanta game or 22 back in the SB like Kaep did so I guess in that sense it was a good choice because you guys probably would have lost the NFC title game this year without the change. To me it was never a question of ability, just a question of the timing of the move. That said I think the strides you will see made this offeseason should have you VERY excited. I whole offeseason to improve all while knowing youa re the starter and getting starter reps in camp should make for a way way better version even compared to what we saw this year ( which was pretty solid)

I agree with your bolded statement. I don't know if you read the boards before, but here was my take regarding the Atlanta game:

If the coaching staff had put forth a gameplan for Alex Smith, it's possible that you guys don't get the 17 point lead in the first place. More runs and YAC-downs (checkdowns with a lot of YAC) MAY have led to a less tired defense and possibly a FG or a touchdown. It could have been a 17-10 game for all I know or a 10-3 or 10-7. We could have won with Smith, but not if it got down by 17, IMO. And it wouldn't have been because of Smith.

But the fact is we won with Kaep and I could say that it WAS because of Kaep. Defense in the second half helped but it would have helped either QB. There'd be no sense in arguing for a guy who MAY have been able to get us there over a guy who DID in a more impressive manner that ALSO helps give him experience for NEXT year.

As for the SB, I can't stretch this to two games. Baltimore started too well and our problems were from LMJ fumbling, refs, and perhaps Moss not being where he should have (though Harbaugh blamed Kaep). We had our best shot with Kaep and we should have won it if there was fair refereeing (either off-setting bad calls or fair calls). If we had to start the game with Smith, I would have been lukewarm optimistic, not head down, but it would have been a loss, in my opinion. And he wouldn't have overcome the 22 point lead. If he were inserted at the blackout, it would likely have been 34-23.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to believe there are at least 4 owners asking their GM's "so, how exactly did this Colin Kaeernick kid escape our scouting staff???" And if Colin ascends next year and Cam has another off-season there may be 5 owners asking that question.

Anyway, I digress - Yes, Kap is very good and 'next year' can't get here soon enough - Could there be a January reunion for the 49ers & Falcons? I would surprised if there was not.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe there are at least 4 owners asking their GM's "so, how exactly did this Colin Kaeernick kid escape our scouting staff???" And if Colin ascends next year and Cam has another off-season there may be 5 owners asking that question.

Anyway, I digress - Yes, Kap is very good and 'next year' can't get here soon enough - Could there be a January reunion for the 49ers & Falcons? I would surprised if there was not.

Honestly alot of it depends on whther Gonzalez comes back IMO. Atlanta needs 1 more pass rusher also but as of right now I think Atlanta and SF have to be the NFC favorites ( with Seattle in the mix as well)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly alot of it depends on whther Gonzalez comes back IMO. Atlanta needs 1 more pass rusher also but as of right now I think Atlanta and SF have to be the NFC favorites ( with Seattle in the mix as well)

Packers, Seahawks, Falcons and Niners all look good. I also expect to see the Saints bounce back.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What team in the NFL currently falls under the category of Team A, which also needs an upgrade at QB? I can't really think of one. There are the dumpster fire organizations like the Raiders, Chiefs, and Cardinals, but I wouldn't necessarily consider them teams with a "good nucleus of young players". Chiefs are the closest in my mind, but even then, Smith would have to deal with one of the worst OLs in football.

Browns? Good RB, young WRs - at least one with talent, good OL, and a good D. Not to mention Norv at OC. They'd be the closest IMO. The question is if they want to add another QB after adding Weeden last year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd put CLE in that category. They have a good young RB, decent WR's, OL I don't think is terrible, needs a QB. They obviously aren't world beaters since they have terrible records. But the young guys are there, they could use an upgrade at QB, and they have a TON of cap space.

Obviously hadn't made it through the entire thread. But I agree.