• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vick signs 1 year with Eagles

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Adam Schefter Facebook

And now, with Michael Vick re-signing, the crop of free-agent QBs becomes even smaller, giving SF more leverage to trade Alex Smith.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is going to be more difficult to trade him for you guys because now with this so called leverage, they are going to ask for a ton in a trade.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is going to be more difficult to trade him for you guys because now with this so called leverage, they are going to ask for a ton in a trade.

This makes no sense. He's leaving no matter what. We'd take the best offer, period.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to go Philly... fuck up people's FA QB plans!!!!

U94zt.gif

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has trade value. I just don't see them taking a 7th rounder and a bag of chips for him. I see them holding out for something worth it. I know that the alternative is to cut him and you would rather get something than nothing but I just don't see him being free.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you understand the contract that is currently in place that they will be attempting to trade? Look at the existing contract because that is an integral part of the trade negotiations. Then also consider that it does him absolutely no good to renegotiate the contract to help out a possible trade process.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you understand the contract that is currently in place that they will be attempting to trade? Look at the existing contract because that is an integral part of the trade negotiations. Then also consider that it does him absolutely no good to renegotiate the contract to help out a possible trade process.

Maybe not, but maybe it does. Suppose this example: You can go to Team A that has a good nucleus of young players but needs a QB, but they want a contract extension/rework. or you can go to team B that is a mish-mash of directionless re-treads and keep your current contract.

For a team that has a higher upside, he might be willing to work with them.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What team in the NFL currently falls under the category of Team A, which also needs an upgrade at QB? I can't really think of one. There are the dumpster fire organizations like the Raiders, Chiefs, and Cardinals, but I wouldn't necessarily consider them teams with a "good nucleus of young players". Chiefs are the closest in my mind, but even then, Smith would have to deal with one of the worst OLs in football.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe not, but maybe it does. Suppose this example: You can go to Team A that has a good nucleus of young players but needs a QB, but they want a contract extension/rework. or you can go to team B that is a mish-mash of directionless re-treads and keep your current contract.

For a team that has a higher upside, he might be willing to work with them.

Why would he restructure his contract while he's on the 49ers to aid the trade?

He would just go to the other team after he got cut and then restructure at that point. There's no benefit to him renegotiating the contract while he's still a 49er.

The only way that this could come about is if they successfully threatened that they'd ship him to some team that he didn't want to go to for a late round pick. But that would sound like a bluff...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What team in the NFL currently falls under the category of Team A, which also needs an upgrade at QB? I can't really think of one. There are the dumpster fire organizations like the Raiders, Chiefs, and Cardinals, but I wouldn't necessarily consider them teams with a "good nucleus of young players". Chiefs are the closest in my mind, but even then, Smith would have to deal with one of the worst OLs in football.

I'd put CLE in that category. They have a good young RB, decent WR's, OL I don't think is terrible, needs a QB. They obviously aren't world beaters since they have terrible records. But the young guys are there, they could use an upgrade at QB, and they have a TON of cap space.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Adam Schefter Facebook

And now, with Michael Vick re-signing, the crop of free-agent QBs becomes even smaller, giving SF more leverage to trade Alex Smith.

Good point.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he restructure his contract while he's on the 49ers to aid the trade?

He would just go to the other team after he got cut and then restructure at that point. There's no benefit to him renegotiating the contract while he's still a 49er.

The only way that this could come about is if they successfully threatened that they'd ship him to some team that he didn't want to go to for a late round pick. But that would sound like a bluff...

That is what I was trying to say and missing. Unless he has trade protection, they can ship him anywhere. They have no reason to do that, but you never know.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put CLE in that category. They have a good young RB, decent WR's, OL I don't think is terrible, needs a QB. They obviously aren't world beaters since they have terrible records. But the young guys are there, they could use an upgrade at QB, and they have a TON of cap space.

Not to shit on the city of Cleveland but it's the city of Cleveland. Is that a destination that Smith would want to end up? I don't know but ultimately that's a team with decent playmakers but a shoddy OL outside of Thomas.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Put yourself in Alex Smith's shoes. Going through and renegotiating a contract while on the 49ers puts him in a worse spot in about every scenario possible.

The 49ers could have him renegotiate the contract to trade to a team. However, once the contract is done other teams could up the anty to make a deal, and after doing all that work he could still end up going to a team that he didn't want to go to due to a last last minute deal.

Also, say he restructures a contract with very favorable terms in the first year and the negotiations break down, the 49ers could just decide to keep him on the bench for a year, or hold him until they want to get the deal done.

Then you have the fact that after all the stuff he went through, this team ultimately benched him while he was playing good football. While he's not going to seek a vendetta on the 49ers organization, he probably doesn't want to drop everything to help them get trade compensation.

If I'm him I'm sitting tight no matter what and see if a deal can be done. Any team that wants him would be foolish not to get his blessing because they would be on the hook for the existing contract. So if they blindly swing the deal, he could just refuse any contract negotiation and collect a nice paycheck for a year. If the team didn't like it, well they could cut him at that point.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This makes no sense. He's leaving no matter what. We'd take the best offer, period.

I doubt they are just going to take any old offer for him.

Why? If not he is getting cut

He has trade value. I just don't see them taking a 7th rounder and a bag of chips for him. I see them holding out for something worth it. I know that the alternative is to cut him and you would rather get something than nothing but I just don't see him being free.

Upstater...what exactly is your point? In what way would him having more value be a negative? The team will take the best offer it can, more value facilitates a better offer (in theory). There is no negative.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put yourself in Alex Smith's shoes. Going through and renegotiating a contract while on the 49ers puts him in a worse spot in about every scenario possible.

The 49ers could have him renegotiate the contract to trade to a team. However, once the contract is done other teams could up the anty to make a deal, and after doing all that work he could still end up going to a team that he didn't want to go to due to a last last minute deal.

Also, say he restructures a contract with very favorable terms in the first year and the negotiations break down, the 49ers could just decide to keep him on the bench for a year, or hold him until they want to get the deal done.

Then you have the fact that after all the stuff he went through, this team ultimately benched him while he was playing good football. While he's not going to seek a vendetta on the 49ers organization, he probably doesn't want to drop everything to help them get trade compensation.

If I'm him I'm sitting tight no matter what and see if a deal can be done. Any team that wants him would be foolish not to get his blessing because they would be on the hook for the existing contract. So if they blindly swing the deal, he could just refuse any contract negotiation and collect a nice paycheck for a year. If the team didn't like it, well they could cut him at that point.

This. As much as I would like Alex as our backup, I'd want it to be his or the Niners' choice, not some sort of incidental punishment for being lo. Why make less elsewhere so we get a better deal? It'd be better to be released, if you're going to have to go out and secure what may or may not be less than your current contract, it might as well be your choice along with the new team. Unless he wants to be here, renegotiating early would be dumb because then he could be kept here for less. If he's willing to do that, he should just do it now. You have to assume the worst will happen if you take a risk like that.

I don't see how Upstater's suggestion would ever happen. The Niners would not turn down a better deal to a worse team, and ask him to renegotiate to get a match from the better team. As Alex Smith, I wouldn't want to go to the team that is both unwilling to part with as much as another team and would only do so if the deal was lessened. They had his replacement here and he signed anyway because he believed playing well would keep his job - do you think he believes that anymore, especially to a team not willing to part with the max pick on the market?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upstater...what exactly is your point? In what way would him having more value be a negative? The team will take the best offer it can, more value facilitates a better offer (in theory). There is no negative.

It's like saying you don't want Kaep to have more skills, because if he does, he'll take more risks, which could lead to INTs - ignoring the possibility that you could take the skills and use them smartly.