• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vegas Golden Knights Expansion Draft Shenanigans Thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Flames leave Troy Brouwer unprotected, he could help the Golden Knights reach the cap floor.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any preference to you, as a Sens fan?

Really tough call. Methot is undoubtedly better now but has durability issues and is older.

Ceci was put through the ringer this year (tough comp., def. zone starts, etc.) and I think he'll be much better for it next year. He has more upside than Methot.

Ceci probably has more value at this point so I'd lean towards him if he could be part of a package for a 1st line C.

The thing is that even if Methot were available I think LV would be wise to take Freddie Claesson. He showed a lot last year (in limited time) and should be cheap for several years. He might be a very effective player when Vegas becomes competitive. So if Vegas sees it like I do then we could trade one of Ceci or Methot and then STILL lose Claesson, which would suck.

Might just be best to expose Methot and hope that Claesson/Harpur/Chabot can fill his minutes. That is if Claesson doesn't get taken. There are also rumours that Vegas likes Chris Wideman and might take him. :noidea:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Phaneuf.

Has a NMC and apparently isn't too interested in waiving it. Of course that could change based on destination but I sense that he wants to stay. With his contract AND a NMC he'd be pretty hard to move without getting bent over.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a NMC and apparently isn't too interested in waiving it. Of course that could change based on destination but I sense that he wants to stay. With his contract AND a NMC he'd be pretty hard to move without getting bent over.
Stranger things have happened - he's been traded once before with all that and an extra year on the contract!

He just had about as good of a season as Dion Phaneuf will ever have. I could see a scenario where, for example, Dallas dumps a goalie on Ottawa and the Sens eat a mil of Dion's salary along with some other stuff going back and forth. The Flames have cap space, D spots to fill out and a whole whack of history with Dion littered throughout the franchise. Doubt he’ll manage to get himself traded within the division twice but pretty much every team in the Atlantic needs a top 4 guy right now.

I think the Sens brass realizes just how screwed they are without Methot or a like replacement paired with Karlsson. Still think the goal this week will be to trade Dion and only when that fails move onto one of Methot or Ceci.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stranger things have happened - he's been traded once before with all that and an extra year on the contract!

He just had about as good of a season as Dion Phaneuf will ever have. I could see a scenario where, for example, Dallas dumps a goalie on Ottawa and the Sens eat a mil of Dion's salary along with some other stuff going back and forth. The Flames have cap space, D spots to fill out and a whole whack of history with Dion littered throughout the franchise. Doubt he’ll manage to get himself traded within the division twice but pretty much every team in the Atlantic needs a top 4 guy right now.

I think the Sens brass realizes just how screwed they are without Methot or a like replacement paired with Karlsson. Still think the goal this week will be to trade Dion and only when that fails move onto one of Methot or Ceci.

Before this season I would have agreed with the Methot thing but Claesson-Karlsson actually has better numbers than Methot-Karlsson. I think the guy (Claesson) is legit. I'd hate to lose Methot but I think they could fill the void OK until Chabot develops into a legit top 4.

I'd be fine with trading Phaneuf even though he was excellent for most of this year and playoffs but I don't see Ottawa taking salary dumps back like the Leafs did.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this season I would have agreed with the Methot thing but Claesson-Karlsson actually has better numbers than Methot-Karlsson. I think the guy (Claesson) is legit. I'd hate to lose Methot but I think they could fill the void OK until Chabot develops into a legit top 4.

I'd be fine with trading Phaneuf even though he was excellent for most of this year and playoffs but I don't see Ottawa taking salary dumps back like the Leafs did.
Right but there's a very real chance they lose both Methot and Claesson, no? Which leaves top line Dion, which would be absolutely perfect from my vantage point but probably not so much from the Sens' perspective.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right but there's a very real chance they lose both Methot and Claesson, no? Which leaves top line Dion, which would be absolutely perfect from my vantage point but probably not so much from the Sens' perspective.

Losing Claesson-Phaneuf is not that much better.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Claesson-Phaneuf is not that much better.
If they're doomed to lose Claesson regardless, it would almost certainly be better both performance-wise and cap-wise long-term for Phaneuf to be the other guy out rather than Methot IMO.

But Ottawa can still leave Ryan unprotected, or Dzingel, or a bunch of others and they might be more attractive to Vegas. They have some work to do here.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're doomed to lose Claesson regardless, it would almost certainly be better both performance-wise and cap-wise long-term for Phaneuf to be the other guy out rather than Methot IMO.

But Ottawa can still leave Ryan unprotected, or Dzingel, or a bunch of others and they might be more attractive to Vegas. They have some work to do here.

For sure. Like I said, LV likes Wideman apparently. Dzingel would also be a solid pick. If he learns how to finish he's a legit top 6 forward with that speed.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just drop this here - Jonathan Willis speculates on four trades that could happen prior to the expansion draft including the following:

Hypothetical No. 3: Panthers trade Mark Pysyk to the Maple Leafs

Toronto gets: Mark Pysyk
Florida gets: Connor Carrick, 2018 second-round draft pick, Kerby Rychel

Thanks to Nikita Zaitsev’s immunity, the Leafs only have two defencemen they really need to worry about protecting: Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner. That makes this summer an ideal time to go out and get the tough-minutes, right-shot defender the club clearly needs.

Florida has several players who might fit the bill. The Panthers’ depth at forward virtually forces the team to take the 7-3-1 protection route, with Aaron Ekblad and Keith Yandle (NMC) taking two of the three defencemen slots. That leaves one spot open for a trio of right-shot defencemen: Jason Demers, Mark Pysyk and Alex Petrovic.

Trading Pysyk for the above package does a few things for Florida.

With Carrick, they add a young replacement righty in case Demers or Petrovic is taken by Vegas (as with Colin Miller, Carrick is much more likely to be claimed in Toronto than he would be in Florida). A quality draft pick is always welcome, and Rychel has a history with new head coach Bob Boughner. The 22-year-old first-round pick from 2013 could yet develop into a highly useful NHL player.

http://SportsHoopla.com/y7pu4kub

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Leafs pay such a high price for such a modest upgrade on Carrick (if it's even an upgrade at all - Carrick is pretty much where Pysyk was at his age anyway)?

I could see them try for Demers though.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Leafs pay such a high price for such a modest upgrade on Carrick (if it's even an upgrade at all - Carrick is pretty much where Pysyk was at his age anyway)?

I could see them try for Demers though.
You'll take Vatanen and like it dammit.