• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vegas and expansion draft

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys may already know this but I just read this for the first time...

Vegas is exempted from the Seattle expansion draft!!!!! WTF WTF WTF WTF

This means they don't have to worry about protecting players because they aren't going to lose any.
This is UNBELIEVABLE.
It can also lead to a bunch of funky stuff as teams try to use Vegas to hide or get something back for players they will lose for nothing to Seattle.

This is so FUCKED UP! The NHL is the worst run league.

Vegas should be able to win the Cup in '20, after the league set the table for them in '18 & '19 with their idiotic expansion draft rules.

This completely SUCKS as it penalizes teams for being very deep. Example: Nashville has 4 top-notch defensemen and most likely will risk losing one for nothing. IDIOTIC

LeBrun: Why Vegas will be a desirable trade partner ahead of...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I mentioned it here a little while back.

OT: Seattle Officially Awarded Franchise Again

It's total BS but after Bettman and his failed franchises galore it's imperative to him that at least *one* of his non-traditional markets succeeds and the draft and everything leading up to Vegas was rigged that way.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that Vegas getting a pass is pretty lame. Especially at the expense of teams trying to build the right way for years.

I was too young to pay attention to the minutiae of the NHL Expansion Drafts in the 1990s. Then in the early 2000 Expansions, I was living out of the country and far from anything ice hockey related. So, come the Vegas Draft, I was super interested in the rules and process. I could've sworn the initial statement the NHL put out regarding the Vegas Expansion clearly said "no-deals". Every team submits a list, and that was suppose be it. Then as time went on, we heard more and more of McPhee's "deals" with other GMs heading into June, 2017. Actually forced my kids to watch the whole ridiculous spectacle on TV and the awkwardness of the camera shots of GMs, Coaches, and players immediately following the announcement of the teammate they had just lost to Vegas. Obviously, some GMs got way to paranoid and ended up making bad deals. I thought the Kings paid a palatable price in losing McNabb. Hope McPhee writes a book someday about the whole Vegas Expansion.

Moving on to Seattle..... Actually just noticed last week that CapFriendly already has a Seattle Expansion Draft simulator.

If you look at the Kings players under contract, there are 4 forwards of Kupari, Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, Prokhorkin, and also goalie Villalta that are all "Draft exempt." This of course doesn't take into account the players drafted who have yet to sign pro contracts. Namely, defensemen Mikey Anderson, Markus Phillips, Sean Durzi, and forward Akil Thomas. On-top of those names, can throw-in at least the Kings #1 draft pick this year as "likely" NHL candidate player in the next 2 years who will also be Expansion "exempt".

Certainly, not all these players/ picks will be NHL-regulars (Vilardi and Prokhorkin alone may never skate professionally in North America ever.) And some others that do make it might get packaged in a trade before the 2021 Seattle Expansion. However, my point if that even given the normal uncertainties of young prospects, I still think the Kings may be set-up fairly well to protect an above average number of their regulars / projected-regulars by Summer of 2021.

The key maybe the development of the "exempt" defensemen (Anderson, Durzi, Phillips, and any other "exempt" defensemen acquired via trade or draft in the next 2 years. (I still think Blake trades for just that this summer)). I say this because if the Kings have at least 2, maybe 3, "exempt" defensemen who are either playing regularly for them by the end of the '20-'21 season, and/or at least a high caliber AHL defense-man who projects to make the team out of camp in Fall of '21; then it may allow the Kings to go the route of only "protecting" 3 NHL-defenseman players (vs. the 4 they did in 2017). If so, then they obviously get to protect the 7 -forwards, plus hopefully a good handful for the aforementioned "exempt" forwards are NHL ready.

Will be good to revisit this topic after the NHL draft in June, and once Blake is done trading / signing guys by early July. By then, can be more realistic to project which "exempt" players have legit shot at being an important part of the Kings by 2021.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont teams get expansion $$ dont they?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00