• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW Class of 2015 recruiting thread

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Dea running back commits to UW for Class of 2015 | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times

O’Dea High School running back Myles Gaskin, one of the state’s top recruits for the Class of 2015, has committed to Washington, according to Scout.com and 247sports.com.

Gaskin, a dynamic runner listed at 5-feet-10, 180 pounds, is rated as a four-star recruit by Scout. He rushed for more than 2,000 yards last season and was named to The Seattle Times all-state team.

Gaskin rushed for 524 yards and 10 touchdowns on 35 carries in O’Dea’s three Class 3A playoff games last season.

UW, under the Steve Sarkisian regime, was the first to offer Gaskin a scholarship in November. Since then, Washington State and Arizona State had also offered him, and Scout reported that Oregon and Oregon State have shown recent interest in him.

Gaskin is the first known recruit to commit to new UW coach Chris Petersen for 2015. Another top in-state recruit, Wenatchee offensive lineman Trey Adams, made a verbal commitment to the Huskies last summer.

Not even started spring yet and already have a 4* recruit giving a verbal for 2015 to Petersen.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great start. Loving the Petersen hire!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off to a good start. Petersen put together a hell of a class in such a small amount of time for 2014, looking forward to seeing what he can do over an entire year.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woof!!!!

Adam Jude at Seattle Times confirms:

A major recruiting development this morning for the Huskies: Four-star quarterback Jake Browning from Folsom, Calif., has given a verbal commitment to UW, according to 247sports.com and Scout.com.
Browning, listed at 6-feet-2, 185 pounds, threw a California-state record 75 touchdowns as a junior last season, earning a number of player of the year honors. The recruiting sites list him as a pro-style quarterback.
Browning also has offers from Alabama, Boise State, Colorado and Oklahoma State, among others.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woof!!!!

Adam Jude at Seattle Times confirms:

A major recruiting development this morning for the Huskies: Four-star quarterback Jake Browning from Folsom, Calif., has given a verbal commitment to UW, according to 247sports.com and Scout.com.
Browning, listed at 6-feet-2, 185 pounds, threw a California-state record 75 touchdowns as a junior last season, earning a number of player of the year honors. The recruiting sites list him as a pro-style quarterback.
Browning also has offers from Alabama, Boise State, Colorado and Oklahoma State, among others.

Wow! That is a huge get, lets hope he stay's true to the commitment.....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see us land the QB for the 2015 class early. Plus he's ranked in the national Top10 for pro style QBs. Awesome get. Go Dawgs!!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like a safe assumption that if the Browning commit sticks, he will be the only QB taken in the 2015 class. Considering the current roster, only 1 QB would be projected for the 2015 class. It's good we got this taken care of early so we can concentrate on the other critical needs.

The two other QBs that were reported to be on UWs radar were Brett Rypien and 4-star Travis Waller (Anaheim, CA). With the Browning commit, the Cougs are probably breathing a huge sigh of relief right now as they continue to pursue local boy Rypien and may end up being a two horse race between Boise St and WSU for his commit. Waller also has strong interest from Arizona and more PAC offers could be coming over the summer and fall.

But overall, very pleased with the Browning commit. He was one of our true top targets for 2015 and important we got this taken care of.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. The cougs are going to be crushed on this one.

QB Brett Rypien committed to Boise St this evening.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bellevue High OT Henry Roberts mentioned today that USC, Stanford, and Washington are his top 3 choices right now, but there are plenty of other schools he's getting offers from and interested in.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB Jake Browning who committed to 2015 class back in March says he plans to graduate early from high school this Dec and will be enrolling at UW in January.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Wants to be available for spring ball it would appear. With Miles likely the starter this season I'm not sure what the chances of anyone coming in as a freshman and actually fighting for a starting role at QB and if you aren't going to start what's the need to get in early?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention Carta-Samuels will be on the roster too as either a redshirt or true sophomore going into the 2015 season.

There was rumblings that Troy Williams would seek a transfer if he didn't win the starting job in 2014. Either way, he's going to have lots of competition for the position.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention Carta-Samuels will be on the roster too as either a redshirt or true sophomore going into the 2015 season.

There was rumblings that Troy Williams would seek a transfer if he didn't win the starting job in 2014. Either way, he's going to have lots of competition for the position.

I still can't understand that mentality, "oh I'm not starting so I'm gonna transfer!" Well your not starting cause you didn't impress the staff hard enough so instead of running away why don't you stick with your commitment with the school and you keep working on starting.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't understand that mentality, "oh I'm not starting so I'm gonna transfer!" Well your not starting cause you didn't impress the staff hard enough so instead of running away why don't you stick with your commitment with the school and you keep working on starting.

I really don't have any issue with kids transferring out when they don't get to start. There is no other position on a football team besides QB where you really don't get a chance to play and have scouts see you if you don't make it as a starter. You want high profile kids who see themselves as future pros and why not have more than you need so you can choose the very best fit for your program. That means you end up with kids who might otherwise still be good enough to make the NFL who get left behind. Let them go find a place to make their mark and work toward their future. The team had their chance to pick and they made their choice. Let the players then leave without animosity as it wasn't their fault they weren't picked.

Having multiple QB's that might leave your program if they don't get to start is a good thing. That doesn't happen in lessor programs. It's a sign your program is strong and vibrant. At least at the QB position.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't have any issue with kids transferring out when they don't get to start. There is no other position on a football team besides QB where you really don't get a chance to play and have scouts see you if you don't make it as a starter. You want high profile kids who see themselves as future pros and why not have more than you need so you can choose the very best fit for your program. That means you end up with kids who might otherwise still be good enough to make the NFL who get left behind. Let them go find a place to make their mark and work toward their future. The team had their chance to pick and they made their choice. Let the players then leave without animosity as it wasn't their fault they weren't picked.

Having multiple QB's that might leave your program if they don't get to start is a good thing. That doesn't happen in lessor programs. It's a sign your program is strong and vibrant. At least at the QB position.

I'm not sayng I'm against players transferring I'm speaking more of how they just give up. Yes the goal is to hit the field so the pro's can see them, but why not stay and maybe work a little harder to make your presence known? They still get PT during practices with the coaching staff watching them day in and day out, press the issue, make the staff say, " maybe we should put a package in for the is guy this week." Instead of running away to Idaho St or Tulane, or some other small school were there never gonna get good
competion week in week out....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sayng I'm against players transferring I'm speaking more of how they just give up. Yes the goal is to hit the field so the pro's can see them, but why not stay and maybe work a little harder to make your presence known? They still get PT during practices with the coaching staff watching them day in and day out, press the issue, make the staff say, " maybe we should put a package in for the is guy this week." Instead of running away to Idaho St or Tulane, or some other small school were there never gonna get good
competion week in week out....

I'm sure there are some that bail too fast, but I actually hate seeing a coach regularly play more than one QB unless there are injuries. We want the cocky self confident top talent guys and this is what happens when someone beats them out. They all come in thinking they can win this gig and that's awesome.

I expect to see Troy leave if Miles gets the starter job. Lindquist? No idea. Both he and Miles are sophomores I believe. The kids coming in next year? If they red shirt they might be able to play two years behind Miles if he goes 3? Will they stay and wait their turn that long?

This is all stuff we dealt with year after year in the James era. Stressed on that stuff every year and every year it all worked itself out. I mean transfers happened back then, but probably not as much as today.

I really just fired up that they are getting some really good talent at the QB position to sign and come in to fight for that coveted title.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure there are some that bail too fast, but I actually hate seeing a coach regularly play more than one QB unless there are injuries. We want the cocky self confident top talent guys and this is what happens when someone beats them out. They all come in thinking they can win this gig and that's awesome.

I expect to see Troy leave if Miles gets the starter job. Lindquist? No idea. Both he and Miles are sophomores I believe. The kids coming in next year? If they red shirt they might be able to play two years behind Miles if he goes 3? Will they stay and wait their turn that long?

This is all stuff we dealt with year after year in the James era. Stressed on that stuff every year and every year it all worked itself out. I mean transfers happened back then, but probably not as much as today.

I really just fired up that they are getting some really good talent at the QB position to sign and come in to fight for that coveted title.

I would like to see that talent level live up to the hype. Price did an ok job of taken over to help this program get back on the national stage, but now it needs to better decisions with the ball, plays made when there isn't anything there, I guess we need that serious field general out there.

And believe me if Myles doesn't show that I will be beating the drum for the next guy up....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While many are saying it will come down to USC or UCLA, with USC considered the heavy favorite, 5 star LB John Houston (Gardena, CA) has mentioned that Washington is the one who is pursuing him the hardest.

He's also got offers from all the heavy hitters of tSEC, Notre Dam, and Big10 schools like Wisky and Mich.

This is a recruit who will probably be waiting long into this fall or up to LOI to make a commit, but still, nice to hear that UW is in the hunt.