• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW Class of 2015 recruiting thread

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While many are saying it will come down to USC or UCLA, with USC considered the heavy favorite, 5 star LB John Houston (Gardena, CA) has mentioned that Washington is the one who is pursuing him the hardest.

He's also got offers from all the heavy hitters of tSEC, Notre Dam, and Big10 schools like Wisky and Mich.

This is a recruit who will probably be waiting long into this fall or up to LOI to make a commit, but still, nice to hear that UW is in the hunt.

That part right there is the perfect sign that hiring Petersen is gonna pay off huge!
He actually lands this kid that would be a great piece for this defense...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLB Kyler Manu (Pocatello, ID) who is currently committed to BSU has confirmed that he's been offered by Washington this week.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weekend, June 20 and 21, is the Washington Rising Stars camp. Players entering 10-12 grades this fall can attend. It's been quiet on the recruiting front lately, but this camp will be hosting some high probables for committing to UW for this class. Some will participate in the camp, while others will be using this to watch and as an unofficial first visit of the campus.

Hopefully we get some good news soon.

The camp involves pretty much the entire UW coaching staff, along with some guests and H.S. coaches involved as well.

"The 2014 Husky Football Rising Stars Camp is for players capable of performing at a high level and who want to measure their ability while competing against other highly skilled athletes. This is a fast paced and highly competitive camp designed for advanced players. Campers will be instructed on the individual techniques necessary to master their positions and be able to apply these techniques to their game. Competitive one-on-one and group drills will be the highlight of the camp.

Every Rising Star camper will receive as much individual instruction on football fundamentals and techniques as possible during the four available practice sessions. Through selected drills with the UW coaching staff, our goal is to improve a young player’s performance and overall understanding of the game.

No pads or helmets necessary for this camp. Non-contact camp"

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weekend, June 20 and 21, is the Washington Rising Stars camp. Players entering 10-12 grades this fall can attend. It's been quiet on the recruiting front lately, but this camp will be hosting some high probables for committing to UW for this class. Some will participate in the camp, while others will be using this to watch and as an unofficial first visit of the campus.

Hopefully we get some good news soon.

The camp involves pretty much the entire UW coaching staff, along with some guests and H.S. coaches involved as well.

"The 2014 Husky Football Rising Stars Camp is for players capable of performing at a high level and who want to measure their ability while competing against other highly skilled athletes. This is a fast paced and highly competitive camp designed for advanced players. Campers will be instructed on the individual techniques necessary to master their positions and be able to apply these techniques to their game. Competitive one-on-one and group drills will be the highlight of the camp.

Every Rising Star camper will receive as much individual instruction on football fundamentals and techniques as possible during the four available practice sessions. Through selected drills with the UW coaching staff, our goal is to improve a young player’s performance and overall understanding of the game.

No pads or helmets necessary for this camp. Non-contact camp"

This camp will give Petersen and his staff a very up close look of in state talent, camps like these give unnamed kid a shot at showing what he can bring...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Aloha Friday Dawgs. :suds:

The camps this past month are indeed starting to pay off.

Huskies have landed their 4th OKG for the 2015 class.

3 star TE Mike Neal (6'4" - 225) (Etiwanda H.S., CA) announced this morning that he's committing to UW after receiving an offer yesterday. Mike attended one of the UW satellite camps held earlier this month at University of Redlands. Washington was his first official offer and he's already confirming that his recruitment is over.

:clap:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weekend just keeps getting better. Go Dawgs!!!

4 star WR Isaiah Renfro (6'2" - 195) (Chatsworth, CA) has committed to UW. As a junior, he had 71 rec. 1,302 receiving yds., 20 TDs. He also plays the Safety position extremely well. But the Huskies are recruiting him for the WR role. He also had offers from WSU and Utah.

That type of length and athleticism at the WR position is exactly what we needed to target with the 2015 class. :clap:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another WR who could be committing to UW soon is 3-star Jeremy Kelly - 6'1" 170 (L.A., CA)

Jeremy is the younger brother of UW cornerback Jermaine Kelly and visiting the Rising Stars camp this week. He's got offers from programs like ASU, Colorado, Cal, Utah, BYU, and Wisconsin. But appears UW is the likely choice right now.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually more interested in things like this than what they do on the field next season. Coaching may win games, but recruiting builds dynasties. If he keeps getting those 4 star kids and holding on to the ones with ties and he hasn't even won a game as UW yet, the future looks very very bright under him.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isaiah Renfro at the Rising stars camp today. Letting everyone know where he's going.

BqqlI9SCMAE7j7R.jpg

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are the Rising stars camp went very well.

Over 20 players from Bellevue H.S. where there on Sunday, including OT Henry Roberts.

Hopefully we'll continue to get good news in the coming weeks as more OKGs who attended the camp decide to commit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This camp will give Petersen and his staff a very up close look of in state talent, camps like these give unnamed kid a shot at showing what he can bring...

They've been holding Rising Stars for years. It's a great opportunity and a lot of fun. For me it was really exciting because I was already a huge Husky fan and I was able to meet almost every UW football coach. It's a great thing for the community, HS kids who will never taste D1 get to have top tier coaching and a somewhat D1 experience and it's great for the program to find any diamonds in the rough.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more interested in filling positions of need than the star rating of the recruits that Petersen brings in. I'm not saying 4 star guys are scrubs, but there are a ton of 3 star guys who get overlooked because they lack a stunning 40 time, play at a small school or don't have top tier size.

With the class Petersen threw together in such short time last year and the start he's off to this year, it's safe to say recruiting won't be a problem with him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are the Rising stars camp went very well.

Over 20 players from Bellevue H.S. where there on Sunday, including OT Henry Roberts.

Hopefully we'll continue to get good news in the coming weeks as more OKGs who attended the camp decide to commit.

Piece of insider information for you. Take it how you want:

I played football at Liberty High School in the mid 2000s and had a bunch of friends at Bellevue and Skyline, both of those schools recruit and have a ton of kids playing for their school that don't even live in the district. I can't speak for Skyline, but a lot of the guys on Bellevue's team were juicing and on strict as fuck diets. Football is extremely cut throat at both of those schools, it's absurd. Those two schools take a fun sport and turn it into a fucking business. If you're a big kid at age 14 and or can play football, Bellevue and Skyline are going to be your top destinations.

My point with all this is, a lot of the kids who play football at Bellevue and or Skyline are going to be a wildcard in recruiting. Staying in state is no safe bet when you're talking about a kid who has (likely) moved to Bellevue simply to play football. In a lot of those cases, they're going to go to the school that they believe gives them the biggest opportunity to make it to the NFL.

There are obviously exceptions, but please don't make me laugh by saying that those schools succeed simply because of superior coaching.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henry Roberts is going to be a very tough one to get the commit from because Stanford has already rolled out the offer. While I have great confidence in our coaching staffs ability to recruit and recruit well from the state, even UW which is one of the top public schools in the country, when Stanford makes an offer, it's very hard to turn that down.

Not to mention Stanford has turned into a Oline U.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I played football at Liberty High School in the mid 2000s and had a bunch of friends at Bellevue and Skyline, both of those schools recruit and have a ton of kids playing for their school that don't even live in the district. I can't speak for Skyline, but a lot of the guys on Bellevue's team were juicing and on strict as fuck diets. Football is extremely cut throat at both of those schools, it's absurd. Those two schools take a fun sport and turn it into a fucking business. If you're a big kid at age 14 and or can play football, Bellevue and Skyline are going to be your top destinations.

My point with all this is, a lot of the kids who play football at Bellevue and or Skyline are going to be a wildcard in recruiting. Staying in state is no safe bet when you're talking about a kid who has (likely) moved to Bellevue simply to play football. In a lot of those cases, they're going to go to the school that they believe gives them the biggest opportunity to make it to the NFL.

There are obviously exceptions, but please don't make me laugh by saying that those schools succeed simply because of superior coaching.

Pretty much every state has programs like this. California is loaded with them. In Hawaii, it's St. Louis & Punahou. They use the private status to get many of the best football and athletic talent to go there and dodge the rules for kids having to reside in it's geographical location. Parents jump at the opportunity.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope it's the system they put into place in the early 2000's. There is a reason as to why they win State titles year in and year out. The program I coach in football, ( younger kids) is designed to prepare them for when they hit the high school, we run the same offense, defense, hell the kids every wear uniforms based on the High School. I have an open line of communication with the high school staff, they frequent my practices and I attend Varsity practices, there is camps, and it's the way football has been treading for the kids today. I'm not against it, I know my son is a big kid that has a ton of talent for his age, some of his teammates as well. You know when a kid has been "bitten by the football bug" they live, eat, and sleep football. Sure there playing other sports, but to them its conditioning for the football season. The same for kids playing baseball, all these all star teams or better yet, "select teams". Basketball started this tread back in the 90's with AUU, its the norm now....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much every state has programs like this. California is loaded with them. In Hawaii, it's St. Louis & Punahou. They use the private status to get many of the best football and athletic talent to go there and dodge the rules for kids having to reside in it's geographical location. Parents jump at the opportunity.

I just find it strange that it's occurring at public schools. I'm not big into national HS football, but my impression was that a lot of the national HS football powerhouses were at private schools.

Nope it's the system they put into place in the early 2000's. There is a reason as to why they win State titles year in and year out. The program I coach in football, ( younger kids) is designed to prepare them for when they hit the high school, we run the same offense, defense, hell the kids every wear uniforms based on the High School. I have an open line of communication with the high school staff, they frequent my practices and I attend Varsity practices, there is camps, and it's the way football has been treading for the kids today. I'm not against it, I know my son is a big kid that has a ton of talent for his age, some of his teammates as well. You know when a kid has been "bitten by the football bug" they live, eat, and sleep football. Sure there playing other sports, but to them its conditioning for the football season. The same for kids playing baseball, all these all star teams or better yet, "select teams". Basketball started this tread back in the 90's with AUU, its the norm now....

But where is the fun in that? I don't know, I just think it's just turning too much into a business. I'm only 26, but I'm starting to sound like my father in some ways with stuff like this. I didn't play football until middle school because my mom didn't think it was safe, but I know what it's like to be bitten by the football bug, as I was too. I just think a lot of times people lose touch with the fact that this is a game that is meant to be played for fun. When you reach the point that you're going on cycles (I'm not talking about riding bikes) in HS while your body is still developing, you've got a problem.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball and basketball have similar problems as well though. It isn't just a for fun thing for kids anymore for any of the major sports. Coaches are under pressure to win and develop the kids that have potential so if you aren't an elite athlete as a kid it's much harder for you to find out if you could develop into one.

Coaches at every level are there to feed kids to the next level. Fail to do so and your access to elite camps is cut off. You don't have the access to the coaches at the next level and will fall farther behind.

What has happened to highschool football specifically is just insane. You get college coaches hounding these kids now starting at 14. Let the kids be kids ffs. I honestly wish there was a rule in place that no college coaching staff could have contact with a kid until the summer before their senior season. Period. Quit trying to influence and push kids into making life altering decisions when they aren't even old enough to shave yet. Let them focus on being young teens and their current football/school level.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has happened to highschool football specifically is just insane. You get college coaches hounding these kids now starting at 14. Let the kids be kids ffs. I honestly wish there was a rule in place that no college coaching staff could have contact with a kid until the summer before their senior season. Period. Quit trying to influence and push kids into making life altering decisions when they aren't even old enough to shave yet. Let them focus on being young teens and their current football/school level.

Amen brother! Nicely stated!

It is all across the board now a days in any sport, these kids today are either spending 6-8 months out of the year practicing or playing there designated sport....

When I was in high school summer break came we weren't in camp or conditioning all day, we sat on the lake drinking beer and chasing bikini's we got in shape for the season during two a days and we played...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long Snapper A.J. Carty (Severite, CA) has commited to UW for the 2015 class.

He attended a ST/kicking camp at UW in June. He had also visited UCLA, Texas A&M, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Penn State, but has committed to the Dawgs.

His LS coach, Chris Rubio, says he's one of the Top5 LS recruits in the nation for 2015.

:suds: