• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW Class of 2014 Recruiting Thread

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three-star receiver Dante Pettis commits to UW

Wide receiver Dante Pettis of Junipero Serra Catholic High (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) announced on Twitter that he has committed to UW.

Pettis, listed at 6-feet-1, 170 pounds, is rated as a three-star recruit. He was also a track star for JSerra, running the 200 meters in 21.84 seconds and posting a mark of 23 feet, 7 inches in the long jump last year.

He is the cousin of former Boise State standout receiver Austin Pettis and the son of Texas Rangers third-base coach Gary Pettis.

Pettis is the seventh known recruit this week to commit to UW and the 16th overall in this class.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The commitment of K.J. Carta-Samuels to Washington meant a lot to Washington in more ways than one. He talks in depth to Realdawg.com about his decision.

K.J. Carta-Samuels
Carta-Samuels was the first 4-star commitment the Petersen staff has received, and he is also showing that he's a guy who doesn't shy away from competition.

This young man is tough as nails and can't wait to compete at Washington.

"I actually committed last night", Carta-Samuels told Realdawg.com, "When I visited my mom and dad wanted me to commit then."

His older brother Austin has plays for Vandy and that's part of the reason why the younger Carta-Samuels was committed to Vandy originally, "I love my brother and it would be fun to go try to break some of his records, but in the end I just had to do what's best for myself, and eventually everyone's goal is to get to the league and we probably wouldn't play for the same team anyway -- but I wanted to do it the right way (with Vandy) because I have a lot of respect for that program."

There was so much that stood out to Carta-Samuels when he saw the University of Washington, "The facilities and the stadium..I just can't wait to get there when there's a game", he said, "It's an amazing stadium. I'm going to start fishing and getting into more water sports -- it's a beautiful place.

"With the education and playing for Coach Pete, this is the place for me -- this is my team."

When Carta-Samuels tweeted that he had committed, he also sent out a plea to Budda Baker to join the Class of 2014, "I'm going to be recruiting everybody -- this is my class", he said, "As a quarterback you have to take on the responsibility of being in charge -- we have to get the best class in here that we can."

Carta-Samuels went to the Elite 11 over the summer, "I thought I did real well the first three days, and the fourth day we got the playbook and I did okay, the 5th day I did real well again -- I just want to be consistent all 5 days."

One thing about Carta-Samuels is that he has a tremendous work ethic -- he'll be putting in plenty of time in the weight room, the film-study room, and with the playbook.

"Our school doesn't let us graduate early and I wish I could", he said of a possible spring enrollment, "But I really feel that I fit into their system real well. With Coach Smith and Coach Pete...I fit in."

Carta-Samuels is 6-21/2 and weighs around 225. He's a tough, tough quarterback and he's very accurate. He has a big arm and one scout even compared him to a young Andrew Luck.

"I've heard that before", Carta-Samuels said.

There's no question that this was a huge steal for the Huskies -- they won a recruiting battle against an SEC school where the recruit's own brother played, and where Chris Petersen and Jonathan Smith are concerned, they came, they saw, and they conquered -- or in this case -- they closed.

One thing that Carta-Samuels got to watch the Fiesta Bowl between Boise State and Oklahoma, "I could just tell how disciplined that team was under those coaches. You have to be impressed with his record", he said about Petersen.

Carta-Samuels talked about coaches who have a proven formula for winning -- he brought up Pete Carroll who did it at the college level at USC, and now has his Seattle team going to the Super bowl.

"I know Coach Petersen can do it at Washington and that's why I'm going there".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that doesn't fire you up for coach Petersen and what he is already starting, then I don't know what will. This kid is fired up and burning to get going and he wants to be a dawg! Love that we poached him from an SEC team. How's that for your first big time commit at the old BCS level? Kid with no real ties here and they land him. I mean the stadium, facilities, and education were part of it, but you can tell this was about Petersen and the reputation he has.

Damn I can't wait for spring.

Just reading that article confirms Sark leaving was the best thing for this program, I don't give two shits if Petersen wins a National Championship, cause the bottomline is he's gonna find kids like this that want the best for the program and leave it with a good attitude and respect....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think from a cultural and philosophy stand point, Petersen is the right fit for UW and Sark is a better fit for his new gig.

I also believe we benefit from Petersens proven HC experience and success. He's one of the best talent evaluators out there. Once his system is installed, it runs like a machine, and the Ws just keep coming in.

There were positives to the Sark years, but overall, he made some critical HC rookie mistakes as well that really kept us stuck in neutral many times. One of those mistakes being to downplay the talented pipelines that exist outside California like Hawaii, PACNW, etc... for the sake of maximizing his Cali connections. Sure he got some great recruits to come up here, but too much local and other talent on the West coast was ignored.

It's why I think Petersen will be able to move us to a higher level than Sark could in the long run. His recruiting pipelines will be more extensive and creative. Along with recruits having a harder time saying no to him from a respect factor, then with Sark. Less whiffs on the top target recruits.

Sark will be able to sit back and let "USC" do the talking and the recruiting work for him. He'll say all the right robotic things to the press over and over. Better fit as long as he can keep up with the expectations they have there. They lack the patience we have up here and his teams are many times indisciplined with penalties. Penalties that can cost you games per season.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBug708

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few thoughts

I heard Kammy Delp really blew his recruitment. He was a silent to UCLA and then right before he announced, ASU promised him a DT spot, which is what he wanted. UCLA coaches were pretty annoyed that they found out not from him, but from other recruits at the game. Then he realized that he really didnt want to be at ASU and decided to look at UCLA. ASU got annoyed at that and told him good luck. When he tried to commit to UCLA, they told him thanks, but no thanks, you had your shot. Meanwhile Washington was around, but he basically did everything to show he wasnt that interested and they moved on. So now he has a top 3 that really doesn't want him and all of his friends are going to USC, who isnt interested. Could end up at OSU now.

Budda Baker to Oregon was a surprise (except to Oregon fans who think they lead for everyone. It's like having a bunch of Kim Grinolds posting as fans) when he commited to Oregon. Most thought UCLA led, but then the family issues cropped up more. Now with the new coaching staff at UW, he's giving them more of a look. The fact that he didn't commit to UW on his official there probably isn't ideal and word is that going away from home isn't going to be a big hurdle to clear. Now he's visiting UCLA with the whole family.

Carta-Samuels was a huge grab for UW. He was open to UCLA, but I think the UCLA coaches didn't want someone who would bolt if/when Josh Rosen committed so they prioritized Sharp over both Kaaya and Carta-Samuels. Sharp is more of a dual threat than both of those and knows he is coming in to mostly be a backup between Hundley, Woulard and ideally Rosen.

Curious to see what Tre Watson will do. Ultimate system guy, but it still takes a lot to run for all of those yards.

Malik Dorton and Koa Farmer should flip to UW. Will they? I don't know but they have potential.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be fair more than half of the class was flipped from BSU commits they have worked on all year. So yeah, it's a short time class, but not really totally from scratch. It's mostly BSU's best commits with some BCS quality upgrades. Not complaining of course, just keeping it in perspective. Land Baker and this class shoots up the ladder in a hurry. There may be a couple more surprises coming before LOI day as well.

Surprises could be coming for sure. The class made tremendous progress the past week and quietly, we only have 5-6 spots really left to fill. And we got about 15 visits setup over next two weeks so pressure is on to finish strong.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is trying to flip Trey Adams and from his tweets he appears to be at least considering it and communicating with other duck commits.
Read the conversation between him and another Oregon commit and at least there is a chance he is lost.

Trey Adams is saying the new UW coaches have been in contact with him and he's reaffirming his commit to UW. Lots of time for things to change, but looks like he's not planning on decommitting anytime soon. :clap::suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scout.com: Football Recruiting

Kids on official visits this weekend.

Scout.com: Football Recruiting

Kids on official visits next weekend.

Would be nice to really get both of the OT's to fully commit this weekend and the 4 star next week is a long shot. Still, 16 kids taking their visits over the next two weeks. There is going to be a lot of action going on between now and Feb 5th

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mrbug708, most of us think Baker is Mora's to lose. I said that the moment we heard he was decommiting from Oregon. There has been some interesting chatter about him to USC though and even some of the scouting sites are starting to add USC to his mix because of it. I'd give him under a 30% chance he ends up at UW and I won't listen to anything he says until signing day no matter who he talks about after this weekend.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Names kept getting added to the visit lists for the next two weeks, it's just a great sign that the respect factor is there. And intriguing names you didn't even know was on UWs radar.

Intrigued by these recruits that are committed to other schools right now or weren't even communicated as on UWs radar like:

ath Sidney Jones: Utah
Ath Kallen Ballage: ASU
6'5"!!!! WR Brayden Lenius
USC commits Malik Dorson and Uchenne Nwosu who may of been told by Sark to have backup options setup incase he plans to bump them.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think from a cultural and philosophy stand point, Petersen is the right fit for UW and Sark is a better fit for his new gig.

I also believe we benefit from Petersens proven HC experience and success. He's one of the best talent evaluators out there. Once his system is installed, it runs like a machine, and the Ws just keep coming in.

There were positives to the Sark years, but overall, he made some critical HC rookie mistakes as well that really kept us stuck in neutral many times. One of those mistakes being to downplay the talented pipelines that exist outside California like Hawaii, PACNW, etc... for the sake of maximizing his Cali connections. Sure he got some great recruits to come up here, but too much local and other talent on the West coast was ignored.

It's why I think Petersen will be able to move us to a higher level than Sark could in the long run. His recruiting pipelines will be more extensive and creative. Along with recruits having a harder time saying no to him from a respect factor, then with Sark. Less whiffs on the top target recruits.

Sark will be able to sit back and let "USC" do the talking and the recruiting work for him. He'll say all the right robotic things to the press over and over. Better fit as long as he can keep up with the expectations they have there. They lack the patience we have up here and his teams are many times indisciplined with penalties. Penalties that can cost you games per season.

Very well put man....

On a side note, you mentioned your folks awhile back, and plans on returning to Hawaii this year?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well put man....

On a side note, you mentioned your folks awhile back, and plans on returning to Hawaii this year?

Not sure if it would be as early as this year, but yahh, some things are coming up, and it's possible I'm going to have to go back there within the next couple years. Would miss Seattle and all this place has to offer for things like lots of the bands I like tour through here, seasonal weather, surrounded by a lot of the fans of the teams I root for, and lower cost of living, but Oahu has plenty of positives going for it as well. Parents did a lot for me growing up and through the years. There is just that built in obligation that I need to make sure they're taken care of in the best way possible. Complicated.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it would be as early as this year, but yahh, some things are coming up, and it's possible I'm going to have to go back there within the next couple years. Would miss Seattle and all this place has to offer for things like lots of the bands I like tour through here, seasonal weather, surrounded by a lot of the fans of the teams I root for, and lower cost of living, but Oahu has plenty of positives going for it as well. Parents did a lot for me growing up and through the years. There is just that built in obligation that I need to make sure they're taken care of in the best way possible. Complicated.

It's not called complicated, its actually called family. I understand and good for you for being a stand up for your folks...:suds:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Family for sure.

I was on 520 yesterday around 6 and you could see they had all the lights and scoreboards on at Husky Stadium. Another big visit weekend. I'm sure a few names will be announcing in the coming days. Finish strong!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S Koa Farmer, who had interest in Cal and UW, but was also considering Vandy via James Franklin, is going to follow him and commited to Penn St today.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Jude this morning
It’s been fairly quiet out of UW during this busy recruiting weekend. As the Dawgman guys noted Saturday during their KJR radio show, Chris Petersen‘s modus operandi seems to be that he doesn’t want recruits to formally commit during their campus visit. Rather, Petersen seems to prefer that recruits sleep on their decision for a couple days and wait until Petersen follows up — typically with a visit to their home — before making their commitment official.

So there’s a decent chance we’d have another small flurry of commitments early this week, though the class is filling up quickly. With 16 recruits on board, it appears UW has about five scholarship spots remaining

Interesting that he prefers that kids don't commit right on campus, but would rather they wait until his follow up at their homes.

With only 5 spots left what is your wish list out of those looking like they are at least leaning toward UW. If they somehow land Baker who else should be the remaining ones? I know they need some linemen so I'm assuming those kids top your lists.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With about 5 spots remaining, I hope Baker respects UW enough to let us know privately as quickly as possible after his UCLA visit this weekend, who he plans to choose. It would be rough to make us hold a spot open right until LOI when we got other important recruits that we have to make final decisions on. Especially the scenario of if Baker doesn't commit, do we offer one of those last spots to S Kahlil Oliver, potentially USC commit Uchenna Nwosu, or use it for another position of greater need.

There are no more Olineman scheduled to visit and we will probably not be adding anymore to the class unless something feel into our laps at last minute or someone worked behind the scenes we don't know about.

But we do have a couple Dline visitors this weekend and next. Including 4 star local Kaleb McGary.

I think it will be a quieter week with about 1-3 being announced as officially being added to the class. We still got 4 uncommitted visitors scheduled for next Friday still and more could added.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaleb McGary is listed as a OT on several sites and a OL/DL on others. I admit I don't know much about him, but the conflicting stuff you get online about projected positions can be confusing. There is a 2 star OT listed for next weekend as well, but I know nothing about him.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wallace, out of the kids coming to UW this weekend and next you have a shot at the 4* McGary as OSU is listed as at least a 25% chance at him and that would be a huge pick up for Riley.

Your boys are only a few spots behind UW right now in class ranking with 22 commits and 17 3* kids. Don't think you are doing that bad right now. 11 on offense and 11 on defense, lots of balance. I think you have more linemen than we have. Maybe you can sport us one? :whistle:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Jude this morning

Interesting that he prefers that kids don't commit right on campus, but would rather they wait until his follow up at their homes.

With only 5 spots left what is your wish list out of those looking like they are at least leaning toward UW. If they somehow land Baker who else should be the remaining ones? I know they need some linemen so I'm assuming those kids top your lists.

I want more linemen, I think its a must, you can never go wrong having enough big guys....