• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATE: Carson Trade Rumors

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Per the Carson insider on the other board:

Rumor has it that MB has begun talking back to Oakland about a trade.

This is correct. Picks and players will be involved...if it goes down. The good news is that there is a rumor that MB is actually talking back.

In response to a poster doubting Carson would be happy with a trade to the Raiders (who cares...good riddance):

I've heard there is some truth here, especially since it is rumored that Dallas would come hard for CP next year. And he loves Dallas Cowboys.

This was just after 5 PM.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A poster also heard on Sirius Radio that the Bengals are listening to the Raiders.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Peter King says it'll take a 2nd rd pick..

Charlie Casserly (former GM) said he would only trade him for 2 1sts (one being performance based)...

These two both must have tons of contacts throughout the leauge. crazy how enigmatic Palmer's value is in the media..

I wouldnt trade him for a 2nd.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! The suggestion that Carson has any say is laughable.... Who the fuck is he? If Brown finds a trading partner, makes a fair trade that is then turned down by Palmer's people, why would Brown ever try again? I'm sure the Bengals PR department (all 2 of them) would love to float a story about Palmer not only being too good for the Bengals, but also too good for the Raiders.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear we're trying to move him though.... I'd prefer this side-story just be put to rest.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL! The suggestion that Carson has any say is laughable.... Who the fuck is he? If Brown finds a trading partner, makes a fair trade that is then turned down by Palmer's people, why would Brown ever try again? I'm sure the Bengals PR department (all 2 of them) would love to float a story about Palmer not only being too good for the Bengals, but also too good for the Raiders.

Any team wanting to trade for Carson would have in all likelihood contacted his agent at around the same time they contacted the team. It's at that point the interested team would be made aware by the agent "don't waste your time". It likely would never make it to the point this would happen. And this especially considering the circumstances that Brown - at least the first time around - has told every team to get lost.

That, if Carson were to say that at this time, he'd be sitting at home the rest of the season considering the few teams interested and lack of competitive offer from whomever is left. So, for that reason, he'd probably suck it up and play for whomever. Though I'm sure he'd probably try to renegotiate for no more than a 2 year deal. Those kind of shenanigans would work better in the offseason.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
reverse the curse?

trade raping Oakland is the only way to break Bo Jackson's voodo curse on the Bengals

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team wanting to trade for Carson would have in all likelihood contacted his agent at around the same time they contacted the team. It's at that point the interested team would be made aware by the agent "don't waste your time". It likely would never make it to the point this would happen. And this especially considering the circumstances that Brown - at least the first time around - has told every team to get lost.

That, if Carson were to say that at this time, he'd be sitting at home the rest of the season considering the few teams interested and lack of competitive offer from whomever is left. So, for that reason, he'd probably suck it up and play for whomever. Though I'm sure he'd probably try to renegotiate for no more than a 2 year deal. Those kind of shenanigans would work better in the offseason.

If Palmer is traded, that means that Oakland also picks up the rest of the contract burden of Palmer ($50/4), and Mike Brown takes a huge cap hit year (which he can easily afford) by ridding himself of Palmer.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure about the cap hit that Brown would take, but Carson restructuring his contract as a contingency of a trade is always an option.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is any cap ramifications for Brown. The cap hit would have come from early in the contract with the big signing bonus and it would have been spread out over several years. I'm guessing it's minimal at this point.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is any cap ramifications for Brown. The cap hit would have come from early in the contract with the big signing bonus and it would have been spread out over several years. I'm guessing it's minimal at this point.

True. Wasn't it like 30 million guaranteed over the 9 year extension?

So 4 years left of 30 million spread out equally.

Still, we can easily afford the cap hit, as we are WAY under the cap this year.

If Oakland wants Palmer before the trading deadline, truely, there is no time to restructure the contract. Take him as he is basically.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True. Wasn't it like 30 million guaranteed over the 9 year extension?

So 4 years left of 30 million spread out equally.

Still, we can easily afford the cap hit, as we are WAY under the cap this year.

If Oakland wants Palmer before the trading deadline, truely, there is no time to restructure the contract. Take him as he is basically.

Restructing the deal wouldn't be difficult to do as long as the player is willing

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Carson's agent were discussing offers with teams and then telling the teams 'not to bother,' I think it would come out. Look what happened with David Garrard and Miami. It didn't take long for news to leak that the Dolphins were interested and Garrard said no thanks. And this was before news that Garrard's back would need surgery.

I'm guessing you're right in that Palmer would probably take any offer from any of the other 31 teams right now, just to get on the field and out of the Bengals organization.

The question for the Raiders is this - "Who is making major decisions?" With the death of Al Davis, it has been widely reported that his son will take over ownership, but does not want to make football decisions. He is likely evaluating how to structure the front office as they go forward. A trade for Palmer is a major decision that will significantly impact the guy that eventually takes over the team. That makes me think a move of such magnitude is unlikely.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Carson would have to restructure. Oakland only has $6 million in cap room

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Carson's agent were discussing offers with teams and then telling the teams 'not to bother,' I think it would come out. Look what happened with David Garrard and Miami. It didn't take long for news to leak that the Dolphins were interested and Garrard said no thanks. And this was before news that Garrard's back would need surgery.

The question for the Raiders is this - "Who is making major decisions?" With the death of Al Davis, it has been widely reported that his son will take over ownership, but does not want to make football decisions. He is likely evaluating how to structure the front office as they go forward. A trade for Palmer is a major decision that will significantly impact the guy that eventually takes over the team. That makes me think a move of such magnitude is unlikely.

Good point. It would likely get out. However, at the most it would be classified as speculation (like every single one of Palmer's "comments" from January to now) at best; hence, not giving the Bengals or their PR any additional fodder against Palmer. It would be an entirely different story if a deal was in place or was being negotiated and Palmer nixed it.

I believe they are more concerned with making this a winning season in memory of Davis and would be more willing to take a risk or "sell out" than they would under normal circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm just glad this whole thing will be over come tomorrow evening.

My only hope is we don't have to worry about it picking back up in the offseason.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aint a chance in hell he's traded. Mike Brown hath spoken.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So what would happen, hypothetically, if Carson just decided to show up to practice and just acted like a total shithead? If he shows up, doesnt MB then have to pay him? Seems to me the only way he can leverage his way out is by forcing MB to cut him. By staying retired, he's really playing right into MB hands and going down quietly.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what would happen, hypothetically, if Carson just decided to show up to practice and just acted like a total shithead? If he shows up, doesnt MB then have to pay him? Seems to me the only way he can leverage his way out is by forcing MB to cut him. By staying retired, he's really playing right into MB hands and going down quietly.

If he showed up and was a complete ass, the Bengals could slap him with 4 games 'conduct detrimental to the team.' Not sure what would happen with the other 8. I guess the guys could give him a code red or something.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning Bengal Nation,well i guess its "go time" for Palmer.....well..GO!!!!...BYE!!!!!....you aint left yet?
fingers.gif