• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unbelievable

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're better off talking to a brick wall.

If you would take the time to read post #10 by me, you will see that I clearly typed that the Dolphins would be justified if Jones' comments of OMG and Horrible were in response something like a re-tweet in regards to Michael Sam being drafted. The link to the article that I posted did not specify that.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personal insults. Nice. You stay classy.

Just saying he comment was really, really, really stupid on its face. Lawyering up. Any argument that the comment was reasonable would have to come from a quarter-wit.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying he comment was really, really, really stupid on its face. Lawyering up. Any argument that the comment was reasonable would have to come from a quarter-wit.

Someone simply tweeting 'OMG' or 'Horrible' without any context should not deserve a ban & fine. The article led to believe that there was nothing directly mentioning Sam, but as FaCe-LeE-uS pointed out, Jones' admitted that is what he was referring to. Again, the original article did not mention that.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe if Sam has the ''right'' to kiss a dude and if ESPN has a ''right'' to air it, then Jones has a ''right'' to say Yuck.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happen to the freedom of speech? The Gestapo is forbidding anyone to have an opinion that goes against a few others. They blown this into something earth-shaking and it's not. Since when do we have major press conferences for 249th pick in the draft. There were 256 PLAYERS drafted and even the #1 own't getting any coverage. This is pure BS

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happen to the freedom of speech? The Gestapo is forbidding anyone to have an opinion that goes against a few others. They blown this into something earth-shaking and it's not. Since when do we have major press conferences for 249th pick in the draft. There were 256 PLAYERS drafted and even the #1 own't getting any coverage. This is pure BS

Freedom of Speech does not mean there are not consequences for the things that you say. Also he is not being censored by the government he is being censored by his employer. As an employee you are told to abide by a certain set of rules and if one of those is you are not allowed to say certain things about certain topics then they have every right to do that and if you violate that then there are consequences. Just like at my work there is a certain standard that is expected of me from dress code to the fact that cussing is not allowed in the work force. I have the right to violate those standards but my employer then also has the right to fire me for doing so. Freedom of Speech does not just give me the right to say whatever I want and not have any consequences what so ever.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freedom of Speech does not mean there are not consequences for the things that you say. Also he is not being censored by the government he is being censored by his employer. As an employee you are told to abide by a certain set of rules and if one of those is you are not allowed to say certain things about certain topics then they have every right to do that and if you violate that then there are consequences. Just like at my work there is a certain standard that is expected of me from dress code to the fact that cussing is not allowed in the work force. I have the right to violate those standards but my employer then also has the right to fire me for doing so. Freedom of Speech does not just give me the right to say whatever I want and not have any consequences what so ever.

it was his personal account. it had nothing to do with the team. you are allowed to have and express personal opinions. he was not on team time or involved in team activities at the time being on what would be called for us normal working joes as "vacation". this violates his Constitutional Rights plain and simple

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, what the 249th pick in draft does, says, etc is completely meaningless. Suppose we need to move on to the Mr. Irrelevant press conference.
What a circus this has become already. ......

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free speech is protected only from the government, not business organizations.

No business has the right to censure or punish an employees says on their own time. If he had said this while during an official business activity then yes but not when he is expressing his personal feelings while acting as a private citizen

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was his personal account. it had nothing to do with the team. you are allowed to have and express personal opinions. he was not on team time or involved in team activities at the time being on what would be called for us normal working joes as "vacation". this violates his Constitutional Rights plain and simple

Not true...If you are employed by somebody and find out you did something that in their opinion brought shame upon them (because remember whether at work or not if somebody knows you are associated with a certain place of work your actions at both work and home reflect on them) then they can take action. This is just like say a teacher during the weekend goes out and gets drunk at a party and there are pictures posted to facebook where parents of these students and others in the community can see them then this reflects poorly on the school. This is why those who post stupid things on facebook can either be fired from a job or not get a job just because of what they have posted. Work places do not have to have a constitutionally valid reason for punishing you as long as they do not violate the contract that they first signed with you.

Please go read the constitution before posting on here as this is not a violation of their rights. All the 1st Amendment actually guarantees is that the GOVERNMENT cannot suppress what a person says...that's it. Your employer on the other hand is not the government (unless you actually work for the government) and they do have the right to control what you say and do to a point. There are certain rights they cannot violate either but if they feel that what you have said shines a bad light on them then yes they have every right to either fire you or some other form of punishment for what you have done. For the NFL they think any player speaking out against the gay community shines a bad light on them so they can do with that what they want.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No business has the right to censure or punish an employees says on their own time. If he had said this while during an official business activity then yes but not when he is expressing his personal feelings while acting as a private citizen

You're very naive.

Perhaps if he was an hourly employee that didn't sign his name on a dotted line, he may have a case. Though probably not as an employer has the right to do what's best for the business and if they feel that your comments could negatively affect them then they would probably show you the door and be justified in doing so.

But when you sign a contract, whether it be with the military, Boeing, or the NFL... Your public comments are representative of the company and it's up their discretion as to what that means.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're very naive.

Perhaps if he was an hourly employee that didn't sign his name on a dotted line, he may have a case. Though probably not as an employer has the right to do what's best for the business and if they feel that your comments could negatively affect them then they would probably show you the door and be justified in doing so.

But when you sign a contract, whether it be with the military, Boeing, or the NFL... Your public comments are representative of the company and it's up their discretion as to what that means.

so OMG and Horrible brought shame and could have a negative affect on their business. that is only total BS but it is the prelude to thought police and camps for wrong thinking. shades of the book "1984" and Nazi Germany

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so OMG and Horrible brought shame and could have a negative affect on their business. that is only total BS but it is the prelude to thought police and camps for wrong thinking. shades of the book "1984" and Nazi Germany

Umm yeah.... except those are examples of government control, not private business. Seriously, businesses have been running like this since the beginning of time. I feel like a suspension is harsh, and will most likely get overturned, but the Doplhins are well within their rights. Saying "OMG" and "horrible" about gay affection may not bother you, but it may bother some Dolphin fans. Why should they alienate even a single fan over what one of their players say? Jones represents the Dolphins, the Dolphins dont represent Jones.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As SonnyCID said this is private businesses not the government. You seem to be confusing the two. Again Freedom of Speech only protects you from the government censoring their citizens not from private businesses making a decision of what is and isn't allowed by their employees. You have the right to say what you want any time any place but that doesn't mean you won't have consequences for the things you say and do. People today have this sense of entitlement that they can do whatever they want with not thinking there would be consequences for those actions. I'm sorry but that is just not the way our society functions or should function.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dolphins clearly feel that way, which is all that matters.

No they were aware of what the NFL is doing as far as Sam is concerned and reacted after someone made a big deal out of OMG & Horrible. sad state of affairs