• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unbelievable

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As SonnyCID said this is private businesses not the government. You seem to be confusing the two. Again Freedom of Speech only protects you from the government censoring their citizens not from private businesses making a decision of what is and isn't allowed by their employees. You have the right to say what you want any time any place but that doesn't mean you won't have consequences for the things you say and do. People today have this sense of entitlement that they can do whatever they want with not thinking there would be consequences for those actions. I'm sorry but that is just not the way our society functions or should function.

so do you believe that "OMG" and "Horrible" rated the BS reaction that the Dolphins came up with? if you do then you'll accept any form of intrusion on your thoughts and actions

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they were aware of what the NFL is doing as far as Sam is concerned and reacted after someone made a big deal out of OMG & Horrible. sad state of affairs

Have you seen our countries reactions to things like this from people in entertainment? Look at the Owner for the Clippers and how crazy the whole country went for what he said and that was with him being secretly recorded (actually illegal and should have had legal ramifications for his mistress for releasing them) and blackmailed (again illegal). He was the victim in the situation (that doesn't mean I condone what he said just believe his rights should have been better protected than they were) yet he was the one who was destroyed in all of it. The Dolphins wanted to squash anything like that happening so they came down hard on him to show other players they will not stand for that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so do you believe that "OMG" and "Horrible" rated the BS reaction that the Dolphins came up with? if you do then you'll accept any form of intrusion on your thoughts and actions

I think they went overboard but it is just like a judge trying to sentence somebody to make a statement to that person and others thinking about making the same mistake. They came down harshly and most likely it will be reversed some but they wanted to make sure everybody in the organization understood that is not allowed.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they went overboard but it is just like a judge trying to sentence somebody to make a statement to that person and others thinking about making the same mistake. They came down harshly and most likely it will be reversed some but they wanted to make sure everybody in the organization understood that is not allowed.

a judge isn't suppose to make a statement they are suppose to sentence in accordance with the law. and neither is a government or business suppose to impose unrealistic punishment on someone for speaking their personal opinion on a subject. what realistic harm could simple statements like "OMG" or "Horrible" deal to a person, team, business or even a government? this is nothing more than an attempt by an organization to impose their will on their employees

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just erased about 20 minutes of typing......................it isn't worth it, neither is this thread.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying that the statement that 'you can't prove he was talking about Sam' defied basic intelligence and was a pathetic attempt at 'lawyering up'. Everyone here with no brain knew exactly what Jones was tweeting about and that's why the fool was already apologizing. The fact that the second comment was in reply to a direct question about Sam is hard proof, but was unnecessary to anyone with half a brain. Or a quarter of a brain.

hqdefault.jpg

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The attempt at sarcasm misses the mark by a wide margin in this case. It was clear what Jones was talking about when he said "horrible". Yes, anyone with a brain knew what he was talking about whether you agree or disagree with what he said, the intent was clear.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're very naive.

Perhaps if he was an hourly employee that didn't sign his name on a dotted line, he may have a case. Though probably not as an employer has the right to do what's best for the business and if they feel that your comments could negatively affect them then they would probably show you the door and be justified in doing so.

But when you sign a contract, whether it be with the military, Boeing, or the NFL... Your public comments are representative of the company and it's up their discretion as to what that means.

He also called me a liar when I said politicians will typically vote in a manner that keeps them in office. Just so you know who you're dealing with here.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The attempt at sarcasm misses the mark by a wide margin in this case. It was clear what Jones was talking about when he said "horrible". Yes, anyone with a brain knew what he was talking about whether you agree or disagree with what he said, the intent was clear.

I had a long retort written out but I decided to ask you a question instead; what was his clear intent? You talk about science quite often as a basis to support your "facts." I need a credible link that supports that you water-heads can now prove intent. We are policing assumed intent now.

Yay, 'Murica.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a long retort written out but I decided to ask you a question instead; what was his clear intent? You talk about science quite often as a basis to support your "facts." I need a credible link that supports that you water-heads can now prove intent. We are policing assumed intent now.

Yay, 'Murica.

Yes, we know. :L

NFL Don Jones apologizes for tweet - ESPN

Jones took to Twitter on Saturday soon after Sam was drafted and tweeted "OMG" and "horrible." He later deleted the tweets

Please quit the "I dont know what the hell is going on" act. Seriously, it gets old. You may require a trial to determine his intent, the rest of us dont.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this violates his Constitutional Rights plain and simple

anyone who thinks this does not understand our Constitutional Rights to free speech, plain and simple.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we know. :L

NFL Don Jones apologizes for tweet - ESPN

Please quit the "I dont know what the hell is going on" act. Seriously, it gets old. You may require a trial to determine his intent, the rest of us dont.

Seriously, his own words tell that he meant the disrespect towards Sam. He met with Dolphins management prior to the fine. I'm sure his intent was discussed before the fine was levied.

He met with Dolphins brass about his comments Sunday, before the team ruled on his punishment. He must undergo educational training before he can return to the Dolphins, according to the team.
Jones apologized to Sam in his first public comments about the situation.
"I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media," Jones said. "I take full responsibility for them, and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team, and I wish him all the best in his NFL career.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i'm glad you immediately understand what someone means by a one word comment and are ready to punish someone for that one word. what kind of society are we becoming when someone can't express their opinion without being hammered? he did not deserve this

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, his own words tell that he meant the disrespect towards Sam. He met with Dolphins management prior to the fine. I'm sure his intent was discussed before the fine was levied.

He met with Dolphins brass about his comments Sunday, before the team ruled on his punishment. He must undergo educational training before he can return to the Dolphins, according to the team.
Jones apologized to Sam in his first public comments about the situation.
"I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media," Jones said. "I take full responsibility for them, and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team, and I wish him all the best in his NFL career.

that was prepared by the NFL and the Dolphins

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so our freedom of speech does not exist anymore

Again you obviously have no clue what freedom of speech actually means. It only pertains to the government censoring someone not a private business telling an employee what they are allowed to say. This amendment was written so the government couldn't control what the people said like you see in China and North Korea. Private businesses have every right to do what the NFL did. He can make the decision to stick with what he said but then the NFL can also make the decision to fire him. Both have every right to do so