• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UM Football Recruits 2014 and beyond

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you'll need the BBQ to get Hand. Sounds like he is blue for sure. I find it really hard to believe that Fournette would leave the south. You guys definitely need to push for a RB at some point, though. Hilliman is in the bag for OSU. I also know we're in good shape for Mixon. Who else are you guys going after realistically?

Agree with you for the most part. Although I would prefer to get at least 1 RB every year, we should be ok at the position. Derrick Green and Deveon Smith are more than sufficient and Michigan has a great shot a Damien Harris and Mike Weber in '15. Fournette is a unique talent and Michigan could use a game changer like that on offense.
I like Mixon but I don't think Michigan is in the mix for him.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your criteria for a guy looking like a national title coach?

Tampa, I don't think anyone is knocking Hoke but he is still a huge unknown. Right now, he is being overshadowed by Mattison.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other RB that Michigan is looking at is Kalen Ballage... he is more of an athlete but Michigan is recruiting him at RB.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your criteria for a guy looking like a national title coach?

Tampa, I don't think anyone is knocking Hoke but he is still a huge unknown. Right now, he is being overshadowed by Mattison.

He has every right to his opinion, I'm just wondering what his criteria is.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is knocking Hoke but he is still a huge unknown. Right now, he is being overshadowed by Mattison.

I don't see Mattison leaving for the college ranks unless the guy he was working for was one he believed in. Mattison very well could have gotten a head coach job somewhere but he want to come back to Ann Arbor and he wanted to work for Hoke.

So I have to think that is a really good endorsement.

I also like the fact Mattison is a great recruiter. If given the chance I would think Mattison would be hired by any big time program in the country. Maybe a lot of Hoke's accomplishments are the result of work by Mattison but who better for him to learn from?

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mattison is not going anywhere, he wants to be close to his daughter and his family loves the area, and he has a great relationship with the rest of the coaching staff... the only place he is going after coaching at Michigan is on retirement, after hopefully grooming someone to take the reigns...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have to think that is a really good endorsement.
Good point. He also knows he is free to run his system any way he wants.

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a difficult time trying to find tape on Kalen Ballage but what I did find was very promising.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a difficult time trying to find tape on Kalen Ballage but what I did find was very promising.

I had thought he was being recruited as a LB but non has proven a more reliable source. Either way, he seems like a good athlete with speed (lots) and athleticism. Get him on campus and then find a place for him to play.

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballage was suppose to visit campus on 6/13 but the wildfires in Colorado has put that trip on hold.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballage was suppose to visit campus on 6/13 but the wildfires in Colorado has put that trip on hold.

Yeah, I spent a couple of summers working at the Broadmoor during grad school and living in N Colorado Springs. Lots of homes in that area.

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly these are the worst wildfires Colorado has ever experienced. My sympathies go to the families losing their homes.

Hopefully Ballage gets to visit A2 soon.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballage is very similar to Josh Furman, a good athlete without a position... wherever he ends up I hope that he will make better use of his talent than Furman has thus far...

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Furman. I totally forgot he was on our roster... I thought he had a lot of potential hopefully he will contribute. I still like the idea of recruiting pure athletes and trying to find a position that best suits them.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with recruiting pure athletes, the trouble in Furman's case is that he wasn't recruited by this coaching staff, so special teams and blowout games is his best bet to see the field.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think Hoke and Mattison are going to play whoever they feel gives them the best chance of winning regardless of who recruited them. His playing time likely was limited due to his suspension and trial for assault (not guilty).

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This coaching staff didn't really know what to do with Gardner and Denard for 2 years... it's one thing when you recruit a good athlete with a specific position in mind, and then develop him to assume that position, it's another thing when you inherit a good athlete who is too small to be a LB and too clueless as a safety... maybe Furman should have moved to offense, but then again we don't know if he can catch the ball or how his vision is as a ball carrier...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...who is too small to be a LB and too clueless as a safety..

Wasn't he one of the kids who came to Michigan for the academics? That might be the most overused line in all of high school recruiting (except in the SEC).
I think Gardner was destined to be the QB but I think we all agree that for him to sit on the bench behind DR would have been a waste. In the end, that wasn't a bad move although it cost us any chance in the Nebraska game.

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with bcs's point that the staff had no idea what to do with DG and DR. I will give Borges credit for trying different packages but it's painful to watch the offense at times. I was furious during the Notre Dame game. If Gardner replaces Robinson during that game I believe we could have won the big 10. I worry it will be pain to watch the offense at times this year.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not falling for the opportunity to go into DR's shortcomings. I'll let that bone stay buried. DG might not be the exact QB Michigan wants but he is a legitimate QB. He may run more than Borgess wants but with a young O-Line, that quality might come in handy.