• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UM Football Recruits 2014 and beyond

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:rollseyes:

Realistically, OSU should've won by 21. Our RZ playcalling was horrible, but we pretty much dominated in every aspect except final score.

I would gladly trade your rz playcalling for our entire second half playcalling... far too predictable...

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...who is too small to be a LB and too clueless as a safety..

Wasn't he one of the kids who came to Michigan for the academics? That might be the most overused line in all of high school recruiting (except in the SEC).
I think Gardner was destined to be the QB but I think we all agree that for him to sit on the bench behind DR would have been a waste. In the end, that wasn't a bad move although it cost us any chance in the Nebraska game.

well no one could have predicted just how incompetent Bellomy would be in that game... Borges gave him some super easy passes at first and he missed them by a mile... heck he missed an easy screen to Funches so bad that Funches couldn't even touch the ball, and that dude has a huge catch radius... Gardner looked horrible in the 2012 spring game, but obviously he came through quite nicely in the second half of the season.

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one guy I can't seem to get a grasp on is Adoree. He lives in the LA area but is from Illinois. He has been all over the board on where he is going. I won't believe a word of it until February. The only real association with Michigan is Peppers has been talking to him, but then, Peppers has been talking to everyone.

The deciding factor for Jackson in the end will be track. If he really wants to run track in college he will not pick Michigan. Peppers has been talking to everyone but the people he is talking to aren't going to pick Michigan. Fournette and Jackson weren't longshots before Peppers committed they were no shots.
The BBQ is key we'll probably get some commits i'd be stunned if anyone committed to us before then.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well no one could have predicted just how incompetent Bellomy would be in that game... Borges gave him some super easy passes at first and he missed them by a mile... heck he missed an easy screen to Funches so bad that Funches couldn't even touch the ball, and that dude has a huge catch radius... Gardner looked horrible in the 2012 spring game, but obviously he came through quite nicely in the second half of the season.

I think Bellomy had to learn from that experience. He would have entered this season as a sold 1B if he hadn't gotten injured. The coaches were high on him for a reason and I think his Nebraska performance caught everyone off guard. Gardner can do it all physically, he just needs to be more disciplined in his decision-making.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Gardner has serious potential, but the number one priority on offense going into the season is establishing a run game through a RB... that will open up play-action and take some pressure off Gardner.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Michigan staff isn't very confident that Artavis Scott will come to Michigan. They just offered Freddy Canteen, a 3-star slot receiver from Maryland. Not fast or tall, he reportedly has great hands and great footwork.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Michigan staff isn't very confident that Artavis Scott will come
to Michigan They just offered Freddy Canteen

I'm still kinda tryin' to wrap my head around this phase of recruiting... asked related questions in the past, but maybe this time it'll click.

How does a recruiter deal with this kinda thing, you got a kid you really want, but you want an insurance policy in case he goes elsewhere. So, what do you tell a Canteen type kid. Is it kinda like the Prom... 'Look, I like you, but there's a prettier gal I really like a lot better. So, do you think you can sit at home and not promise to go to the prom with anyone else, until the girl I really want to go with says yes or no? And if she no, then will you go with me?'

I think you gotta be straight and square w/ the kids, as to what you doing and why, but how's the kid gonna deal with being the consolation prize? How do the recruiters handle this?

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Michigan staff isn't very confident that Artavis Scott will come to Michigan. They just offered Freddy Canteen, a 3-star slot receiver from Maryland. Not fast or tall, he reportedly has great hands and great footwork.

I said recently that I don't believe Scott leaves Florida, however Canteen said in an interview that the Michigan coached told him they would take 2 more wide receivers. The coaches just might want to load up on talented receivers.

I thought the offer to cornerback Brandon Watson was very surprising. Maybe coaches are not as confident in Westphal or maybe the just want him to decide if he wants to be a Wolverine because they don't want to wait for him any longer.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still kinda tryin' to wrap my head around this phase of recruiting... asked related questions in the past, but maybe this time it'll click.

How does a recruiter deal with this kinda thing, you got a kid you really want, but you want an insurance policy in case he goes elsewhere. So, what do you tell a Canteen type kid. Is it kinda like the Prom... 'Look, I like you, but there's a prettier gal I really like a lot better. So, do you think you can sit at home and not promise to go to the prom with anyone else, until the girl I really want to go with says yes or no? And if she no, then will you go with me?'

I think you gotta be straight and square w/ the kids, as to what you doing and why, but how's the kid gonna deal with being the consolation prize? How do the recruiters handle this?

That's a good question. I think as a recruiter you must be a people person and understand social behavior. Get in a kids head and figure out what he's made of and thinking.

If you are open and honest and tell the kid that you are looking at another kid, you better have a good feeling on what that kid is made of. Is that kid the kind of kid that will take it to heart and cry. Or is he the kid with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove. Good recruiters know this and adjust there style of recruiting I'm sure.....Some kids are talented and think it should be given to them, while others have chips on there shoulders with something to prove.

The recruiter needs to figure out what kind of kid each is and adjust his style of recruiting accordingly.

My two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to think that we have a better shot at Scott than we do at Westphal... recruiting never gets old...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like there is a very good chance Scott commits either at the BBQ or shortly after. I would love to be up at Nike's The Opening to see how Hand and George Campbell do.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody have any insight into Garrett Dickerson? He is out of NJ, where we have had some success lately, and was being recruited as a TE but it appears as if his focus has shifted to the defensive side of the ball (DE, I think). How does this affect the Hand and McDowell recruitment, if at all)

He just named a top 3 of Northwestern, Stanford, and Michigan. Not many schools can compete with Michigan academically but those two can. Stanford appears to be the leader but we are definitely in the mix.

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody have any insight into Garrett Dickerson? He is out of NJ, where we have had some success lately, and was being recruited as a TE but it appears as if his focus has shifted to the defensive side of the ball (DE, I think). How does this affect the Hand and McDowell recruitment, if at all)

He just named a top 3 of Northwestern, Stanford, and Michigan. Not many schools can compete with Michigan academically but those two can. Stanford appears to be the leader but we are definitely in the mix.

He is a very interesting prospect. His interest in Michigan started rising when Peppers committed but the odds of him signing with us aren't in our favor. I won't be disappointed if he signs elsewhere because he plays a position that we are in good shape with better prospects(Hand and McDowell) and him signing with us would just be depth.

We seem to like the idea of stockpiling talent on defense its time to do the same on offense.I really would like the staff now more than ever to pursue Fournette and Mixon with everything we have. I am aware that Green is suppose to be good but until he proves himself we are still concerned with the running game. I say sell playing time, stack that position like a USC and Alabama and solidify ourselves as legit National Championship contenders.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am aware that Green is suppose to be good but until he proves himself we are still concerned with the running game. I say sell playing time, stack that position like a USC and Alabama and solidify ourselves as legit National Championship contenders.

Mixon isn't coming to AA. Fournette is a lotto ticket. We have Drake Johnson, Fitz, Green, and Smith to fight it out for the top spot. We are also looking good for Damien Harris and Mikey Webb in the '15 class. I wish we could get someone in this class but the cupboard is hardly bare.

With Hoke's success on the recruiting trail, it becomes more difficult to use PT as a carrot.

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have Drake Johnson, Fitz, Green, and Smith to fight it out for the top spot. We are also looking good for Damien Harris and Mikey Webb in the '15 class. I wish we could get someone in this class but the cupboard is hardly bare.

With Hoke's success on the recruiting trail, it becomes more difficult to use PT as a carrot.

I agree the cupboard isn't bare but with the exception of Green we don't have any other elite backs. Harris is an elite back and I expect him to pick the Wolverines but with the obvious question mark at the running back position sign one elite back a year until that position is no longer a question mark.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think it's not a good idea to skip on a RB this year, just like it wasn't a good idea to skip on a QB in 2012... but the main objective is to get the OL to start moving people out of the way... once that happens backs like Smith, Rawls and Johnson become productive workhorses while a dude like Green can really shine.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Michigan will end up with a RB in this class. I have no problem with them rolling the dice against long odds with Fournette. February is a long way away and Michigan should have the ability to steal a solid recruit if none of our offers commit. Of course, I would rather take three more WR's than a RB. Throw the damn ball!

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious...

Back in the day, conventional wisdom suggested that RB's were the best athletes on the field, and to pick up a couple extra's during recruiting, since - being fast, athletic - they could move to a variety of positions it they couldn't crack the line-up at RB. Does that kinda thinking still figure in these days?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious...

Back in the day, conventional wisdom suggested that RB's were the best athletes on the field, and to pick up a couple extra's during recruiting, since - being fast, athletic - they could move to a variety of positions it they couldn't crack the line-up at RB. Does that kinda thinking still figure in these days?

I think a lot of kids like the glamour of the position and overestimate their ability there so they insist on being recruited as a RB. When they get on campus and see how they stack up, they are more willing to move. Your premise is also correct that high schools generally put their best athlete at RB.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
speaking of receivers, Scott will announce soon, but everyone is thinking Clemson now... wouldn't be a big surprise considering their passing attack...

I refuse to believe that JJ will pick MSU tomorrow...

We'll see if Hilliman will change his stance if he makes it to the BBQ...