• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Uh-oh HaroldSeattle!!!!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the lukewarm interest in Mayfield, and the very real chance Watson misses a lot of time, you have to keep Mayfield this season if you are the Browns.

But I would love to see Mayfield in the NFC West playing the Niners, Rams and Cardinals. He'd get destroyed for sure.
I'm not sure keeping him is in Clevelands best interest.

His situation is too toxic to have in the locker room.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well declined a trade from Carolina where Carolina only wanted to pay I think around $6M of the $18M. So that isn't unreasonable by the Browns. Like I have been saying all along they have been waiting out the market, they still have a couple months at worst. If an injury happens or teams realize they don't have a good QB room then maybe the Browns get a little more desperate and cover half his salary. That would fine for both sides at this point.
In hindsight I'm betting the Browns FO wishes they took that deal.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most teams have their guys, and the ones that don't, are punishing Cleveland for ruining the market I think. So you want any compensation, you will eat most the money. I think Mayfield is a good QB. Bengals can't beat him even with Burrow and Chase. He also had over an 80% completion percentage last year prior to him messing his shoulder up and trying to play through it.
Stats for 2 games don't mean crap. His career comp % is 61.6%. That's horrible.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at Bakers stats, too, the Browns have been phasing him out of the offense. 12 yards per catch consistently throughout his career. Less yards per game every season. I do think its possible that his injury last year is what caused him to leave the 'game manager' trajectory but I do think that is his trajectory.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People were saying the same thing about Rodgers and the Packers.

The Browns would do it because they'll win more games with Mayfield than with Brissett, unless his head is completely unscrewed.

Mayfield would do it because he needs to play this year, otherwise his next contract will be garbage.

It's like a divorced couple staying in the same house because it makes sense financially.

(By the way, I really think if Seattle is leaking this, it's to drive down the price for Garoppolo.)
The difference is Rodgers is actually a good QB. Actually Rodgers is great.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers and Packers are a totally different situation. They drafted a QB and from all that we know, those were rumors. Plus Rodgers has played his entire career with GB, a future HOFr and one of the best QB's in the NFL and NFL history. Much different situation. All the Browns have to do if push comes to shove is just cover most of Baker's salary. Getting $6-$7M of his salary back is better than nothing, it would not work on the field. That relationship is done.
I agree. If it only costs a team a 6th or 7th rounder and $6M per year trading Baker will likely happen quickly. He doesn't even have to be seen as a starter to move him if that is the cost and a team has a marginal QB

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is Rodgers is actually a good QB. Actually Rodgers is great.
Great enough to go just about any other team if he really wanted to. They worked it out because it made sense for both sides. Mayfield is smaller potatoes but the dynamics are similar. The Browns don't have to move heaven and earth to keep Mayfield, they just have to not cut him and pay the fifth year that they themselves picked up the option for a year ago.

Not great, but that's a good team. You'd rather roll with Mayfield and Brissett than Brissett and Joshua Dobbs.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If it only costs a team a 6th or 7th rounder and $6M per year trading Baker will likely happen quickly. He doesn't even have to be seen as a starter to move him if that is the cost and a team has a marginal QB
But how many teams have a marginal QB that isn't their pet project?

I guess in addition to Seattle I could see him in New Orleans behind gimpy Winston. That's not crazy. You probably don't want him in the way of Ridder or Corral and definitely not Pickett. And maybe Houston would take a shot at him to push Mills, but I think this is a prove-it year for Mills or they draft a QB in 2023.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he keeps making those nifty Progressive insurance commercials, I don't care.

There's one more commercial this summer. But this time he's locked out of the stadium.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how many teams have a marginal QB that isn't their pet project?

I guess in addition to Seattle I could see him in New Orleans behind gimpy Winston. That's not crazy. You probably don't want him in the way of Ridder or Corral and definitely not Puckett.

New Orleans paid Andy Dalton. They would be out.

Hell the Saints wanted Dalton so much that depending on how much he plays this coming season, he will actually cost New Orleans a 3rd round compensatory pick that they would have received for losing Armstead (or Williams....however you want to think of it). My only guess is that Mrs Chaney has links to the NO's front office after reading this.

But I GUARENTEE you that the Browns are bringing up that whole Andy Dalton situation too. It is why they have to get something back for Baker because they could tell his ass to sit at home this season (pay him the same either way) if they dont find a trade partner and get a comp pick back for him next year.

But I dont know how true the Dalton story is. Doesnt seem right to me. But here is the article I read that said that and it is on NFL.com which means I suppose it should be somewhat accurate:

2023 NFL Draft: Compensatory pick projections for every team

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see other people mentioning Bridgewater as a comparison for Mayfield. Bridgewater was preferred to Lock for the #1 QB role in 2021. Bridgewater is due $6.5M plus $3.5M in incentives, (which are believed to based on playing time). I wonder what the Dolphins would want in return if a team tried to trade for Bridgewater.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Orleans paid Andy Dalton. They would be out.

Hell the Saints wanted Dalton so much that depending on how much he plays this coming season, he will actually cost New Orleans a 3rd round compensatory pick that they would have received for losing Armstead (or Williams....however you want to think of it). My only guess is that Mrs Chaney has links to the NO's front office after reading this.

But I GUARENTEE you that the Browns are bringing up that whole Andy Dalton situation too. It is why they have to get something back for Baker because they could tell his ass to sit at home this season (pay him the same either way) if they dont find a trade partner and get a comp pick back for him next year.

But I dont know how true the Dalton story is. Doesnt seem right to me. But here is the article I read that said that and it is on NFL.com which means I suppose it should be somewhat accurate:

2023 NFL Draft: Compensatory pick projections for every team
Not sure they wanted Dalton badly. Just have to not play him much and the Saints keep the pick.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just cut the man already and put him out of his misery...

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just cut the man already and put him out of his misery...
well we all knew (well most of us) the browns weren't gonna want him mingling with the other players at practice.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker seems like the type to hold out this year he really wants nothing to do with the Browns
wanting nothing to do with them a far cry from giving away $19 mil and an accrued season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't play another down for the Browns. They signed Brissett for a reason
Yep...to be a backup. Not sure they signed him to start all season if Watson missed the season. Likely a reason the guy has never been signed with the intent of him starting (at least not that I know of).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we all knew (well most of us) the browns weren't gonna want him mingling with the other players at practice.
For sure not 3 months before the season when he cannot even participate in the practice.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that was my thing was baker in that he had a loaded offense with 2 pro bowl RBs, 2 pro bowl WRs, and good offensive line one of the best defensive lineman in the league and couldnt manage those assets. Then meanwhile they have to watch their division rival Joe Burrow in his 2nd year coming off a major injury with a rookie WR completely tear up the league and make it all the way to a super bowl.
2020 happened. FYI, in 2021 not only was Baker hurt but one of those PB receivers wanted out and played like it and the other was also hurt and missed many games. They did not have Lockett and Metcalf.