• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Uh oh Ebron

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here other than the obvious couple of fans still like Ebron over Donaldson and Odell? Anyone?

Who gives a shit about those guys? They aren't Lions.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this....to a point. Lombardi had to take 20%(I believe) of the playbook away during the season bc he realized it was too complicated for the ENTIRE team. So if a team full of veterans can't grasp his playbook, we are expecting a rookie to?

Again, not saying he shouldn't have learned it better, but being a rookie, there's a lot more they have to learn and deal with that veterans are already accustomed to.

Hopefully Caldwell and Lombardi sit down and can draw up a better and easier to learn playbook this offseason.

We are talking about guys fresh out of college here. Ebron walks right into a situation where he knows nothing and the playbook is very complicated to begin with. Are we saying that every rookie ever drafted has no room for growth and they better flourish immediately? Should they master the easy play books right away?

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that he should know the playbook, I still think fans think everything these guys do are "easy". Not you in particular Dr. Euler, but I would love to see if anyone on these boards played sports and if so, why aren't they in the NFL if everything is so easy? Lol

Having the talent to play in the NFL and learning a playbook are two entirely different things. The guy needs to learn an assignment that he is supposed to do on each play called.

He isnt being ask to memorize 120 poems or sonnets here. This isn't anywhere near as complicated as folks want to make it out to be. If our team as a collective whole can't learn a playbook then we have a complete team of idiots.

I bet that almost everyone posting on here would know it cold if that's ALL they are supposed to do from rookie mini camp through training camp. This isn't rocket science, there is no math, no grammar test, it's learning your assignment on each play, that's it.

And let's not forget that it's pretty much the only thing they have been doing for the entirety of their college years as well cause they weren't studying school work. Of course it's a new playbook but let's not pretend there a no common elements that don't provide at least some level of experience that should be helpful.

I just refuse to accept not understanding a playbook as an excuse for such limited production and if it doesn't improve dramatically this year then he is a bust

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about guys fresh out of college here. Ebron walks right into a situation where he knows nothing and the playbook is very complicated to begin with. Are we saying that every rookie ever drafted has no room for growth and they better flourish immediately? Should they master the easy play books right away?
Im in no way saying Ebron is off the hook, but when an entire team struggles with the playbook, I'm faulting the coordinator and coach.

I never liked the Ebron pick, but he's ours and looking back changes nothing. I'll support him til he's gone. As for the other rookie production, the contribution from receivers was almost unprecedented. Rookie receivers rarely make a huge splash. Beckham may not have even done as well had Cruz not gotten injured so early. But that's neither here nor there.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its moreso the terminology of the playbook and having to know multiple positions. Ebron had to remember the TE spot which involves routes and blocking, the slot and out wide. The plan was not to use him as a conventional TE, he's a hybrid. And I dont think that its that he didnt "know" the playbook, I think it was a matter of knowing it and actually putting it in action during the game.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im in no way saying Ebron is off the hook, but when an entire team struggles with the playbook, I'm faulting the coordinator and coach.

I never liked the Ebron pick, but he's ours and looking back changes nothing. I'll support him til he's gone. As for the other rookie production, the contribution from receivers was almost unprecedented. Rookie receivers rarely make a huge splash. Beckham may not have even done as well had Cruz not gotten injured so early. But that's neither here nor there.

Not me. I fault them equally.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit about those guys? They aren't Lions.

Blindly defending Bubbles is fine for you, but some of us are real fans of the sport.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grasping a NFL playbook is hard for many kids. This past senior bowl Gus Bradley or Whisenhunt asked how many kids huddled up this past season? 5 out of 30 kids raised their hands. So these kids get a visual que from the sideline for their assignment. Hell, Cam Newton ran like 30-40 plays at Auburn. Took him time and he struggled at first.

I am more worried with his skills developing than him knowing every single play. Lord knows he can not afford a sophomore slump. Holy hell the kid can't regress any at all.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the first rookie mini-camp? June? I will bet he had the playbook before then even, probably very soon after the draft he had it.

Let's just say it was June. He had three MONTHS to learn it before the season even started and FOUR more during the season. With 7 months to learn it shouldn't we have absolutely expected him to be in full and complete grasp of it by the end of the season and showing us at least a glimpse of what we can expect to see out of him this year? I sure didn't see it.

Three months itself is an eternity, let alone seven for crying out loud. Maybe instead of complaining that his Madden rating wasnt high enough he should have studied the damn book, used the film room, and worked with his coaches. If the little baby wants to cry that people are mean to him on Twitter he should be thankful I don't have an account, the little bitch would have been in tears by the time I got done with him.

Is the new Madden out? I am very curious to see what his rating was last year and what it is this year. Dude will be back on Twitter crying about that again.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the first rookie mini-camp? June? I will bet he had the playbook before then even, probably very soon after the draft he had it.

Let's just say it was June. He had three MONTHS to learn it before the season even started and FOUR more during the season. With 7 months to learn it shouldn't we have absolutely expected him to be in full and complete grasp of it by the end of the season and showing us at least a glimpse of what we can expect to see out of him this year? I sure didn't see it.

Three months itself is an eternity, let alone seven for crying out loud. Maybe instead of complaining that his Madden rating wasnt high enough he should have studied the damn book, used the film room, and worked with his coaches. If the little baby wants to cry that people are mean to him on Twitter he should be thankful I don't have an account, the little bitch would have been in tears by the time I got done with him.

Is the new Madden out? I am very curious to see what his rating was last year and what it is this year. Dude will be back on Twitter crying about that again.

Here ya go buddy!
How difficult is it to memorize an NFL playbook? A neuroscientist explains - Extra Mustard - SI.com

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, the coaches did state that he showed a lot of progress during the end of the season. Most of us wouldn't know that though unless he caught tons of balls or scored TDs. How do we know what he was supposed to do on the field from our couches?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and even I would complain that my Madden rating isn't high enough. That's just ego.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the coaches did state that he showed a lot of progress during the end of the season.

Most relevant statement in that article..............

Fowler indicates that upon hearing a play, he immediately imagines where on the field he must be and what actions he must take. It's this ability to visualize -- after a lot of studying and practice -- that distinguishes players at the next level.

and that pretty much says it all. I never said it wasn't difficult, but every player, even in a brand new system has months to study and learn it. A full time job is 40 hours a week, if all you had to do was learn a playbook and work out for months before you even hit training camp I am extremely confident you would know the playbook cold.

We almost certainly have different takeaways from that article. You see that a reasoning behind why Ebron struggled and I take away from it that he doesn't want to put in the study and practice to be elite. Either that or he is a complete dumbass and cant learn anything.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and even I would complain that my Madden rating isn't high enough. That's just ego.
Ic it's anything like ur bball game, it's prolly bc u pull up short on ur routes, just like u pull up for a short jumper instead of driving that bitch to the hole!! ;)

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd year TEs make pretty big jumps according to most studies. Believe me the more we see of Ebron and the less of Ross, the better off we will be.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're clearly trying to make him look as bad as you can, every chance you get while ignoring reality. You dont have to like the pick but its clearly more than that with you

What would you like me to say? I have said repeatedly -- I think Ebron could be a good TE if he played for another team.

And I am not the one ignoring reality -- that'd be you. I posted reality for you. So please feel free to explain how I am ignoring reality?

Do I expect him to put up numbers like last year? I really truly hope not. I'd expect to see some sort of progression from him. My issues with Ebron isn't with not knowing a playbook -- it is with his hands and with the lack of separation I saw last year from him. I'm guessing that is why the Lions have him practice his route running this offseason.

And I am not trying to make him look bad -- he did just fine on his own. The Lions TE's, as a whole, did a great job of looking bad (ranked 30th in the NFL in production). And I have absolutely nothing personal against Ebron -- It was just a bonehead pick by our front office. Not because it is Ebron -- because it was a TE.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd year TEs make pretty big jumps according to most studies. Believe me the more we see of Ebron and the less of Ross, the better off we will be.

Agreed. I think we could see Ebron get in the 5-700 range for yardage.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think we could see Ebron get in the 5-700 range for yardage.

He has been working with Stafford all offseason so they will certainly be on the same page. Like you, I am still concerned about his hands though. That will probably determine if he becomes useful.