• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyrone Smith's contract

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you and Nets are looking at it wrong. Yeah we had a great DEFENSE. Not just one great player on it. We are talking about position vs one position, the the teams as a whole. I also think people don't give E.Smith enough credit, because they will ramble about our great O-line.
Yeah you can find some teams that have succeeded without an Elite LT, but there are other factors.

Denver LT had Manning as a QB.

Seahawks LT had that defense and a good run game/qb.

Jets also went to a few straight AFC Championship games with average WRs.

IMO LT will ALWAYS be a more important position than WR.

Smith is a top 3 LT, IMO, and you keep that over a injured Julio Jones, a will be 29 year old Megatron, and ANY other WR out there.

That's a valid argument, in the end, it takes several things to win a Championship. The order of importance generally hinges on scheme and overall philosophy. The Cowboys current defensive scheme for example. It requires several things to be elite, but a dominant 3T and pass rush end are at the top. Under Ryan, it would be either press corners of edge pressure OLB.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you and Nets are looking at it wrong. Yeah we had a great DEFENSE. Not just one great player on it. We are talking about position vs one position, the the teams as a whole. I also think people don't give E.Smith enough credit, because they will ramble about our great O-line.
Yeah you can find some teams that have succeeded without an Elite LT, but there are other factors.

Smith is a top 3 LT, IMO, and you keep that over a injured Julio Jones, a will be 29 year old Megatron, and ANY other WR out there.

I think there looking at it all wrong too. But simply because that OL their discounting gave Emmitt the running lanes he needed and Aikman the time needed to get the ball to his receivers.

If the league reshuffled all the players and 16 teams built from the inside out and the other 16 built with skill players the 16 inside out teams will dominate the league. Great OL and DL's will make the rest of team better.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there looking at it all wrong too. But simply because that OL their discounting gave Emmitt the running lanes he needed and Aikman the time needed to get the ball to his receivers.

If the league reshuffled all the players and 16 teams built from the inside out and the other 16 built with skill players the 16 inside out teams will dominate the league. Great OL and DL's will make the rest of team better.

I would agree with you about building the teams up front, but if you were prioritizing one position over another, in today's 7 on 7 style game anyway, if the league redrafted, that 20 or so of the players picked in the 1st round would be QB's, and the rest of the first round would be players like Megatron or Jimmy Graham. I bet round two would have edge rushers, Corners, LT's, WR's and more QB's.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taking one Elite wr over one elite OL, doesn't mean your going to neglect the rest of your line. Give me the once in a generation wr a good LT and 2 other pro bowl caliber linemen opposite him you could still dominate. LT is only 1 of 5 guys 20%. He's great for the qb doesn't necessarily improve the entire line. In General if defense have to concentrate on an elite wr he makes things better for the entire offense. We agree you have to have an Elite or excellent qb play. The trenches are also very important and I don't believe we disagree there either. Making a case for an Elite wr though IMO can be as valuable....possibly more valuable than that 1 LT. We look at Detroit and their playoff failures we over simplify the argument; because Detroit's qb play is avg to slightly above avg and the Defense is abysmal. Put Calvin Johnson in N.E. or Seattle and watch what happens.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with you about building the teams up front, but if you were prioritizing one position over another, in today's 7 on 7 style game anyway, if the league redrafted, that 20 or so of the players picked in the 1st round would be QB's, and the rest of the first round would be players like Megatron or Jimmy Graham. I bet round two would have edge rushers, Corners, LT's, WR's and more QB's.

:agree:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team A

QB Locker
RB Ivory
FB V Leach
TE Fasano
WR Ginn, TWilliams
OL TSmith, JThomas, M Yanda, JEvans, NMangold

or

QB ARodgers
RB APeterson
TE JGraham
WR Megatron, JJones, DBryant
OL Cowboys OL, substitute Demetrus bell for TSmith

Which one ya want?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team A

QB Locker
RB Ivory
FB V Leach
TE Fasano
WR Ginn, TWilliams

or

QB ARodgers
RB APeterson
TE JGraham

Which one ya want?

lol
not for nothing, but this kinda discussion is right up your alley

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking one Elite wr over one elite OL, doesn't mean your going to neglect the rest of your line. Give me the once in a generation wr a good LT and 2 other pro bowl caliber linemen opposite him you could still dominate. LT is only 1 of 5 guys 20%. He's great for the qb doesn't necessarily improve the entire line. In General if defense have to concentrate on an elite wr he makes things better for the entire offense. We agree you have to have an Elite or excellent qb play. The trenches are also very important and I don't believe we disagree there either. Making a case for an Elite wr though IMO can be as valuable....possibly more valuable than that 1 LT. We look at Detroit and their playoff failures we over simplify the argument; because Detroit's qb play is avg to slightly above avg and the Defense is abysmal. Put Calvin Johnson in N.E. or Seattle and watch what happens.

Obv, N.E has a HOF QB, and HOF coach. Seattle has a great young QB, beast mode, and a great defense. Obviously he would have a great chance to win it all if you put him on a top team... Look at Seattle, who are their WRs? Don't say Harvin, he helped win what, 1 game?

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team A

QB Locker
RB Ivory
FB V Leach
TE Fasano
WR Ginn, TWilliams

or

QB ARodgers
RB APeterson
TE JGraham

Which one ya want?

That is unfair. You are going with a top 3 QB, top RB, top TE, and a pretty good OL vs a nobody QB, nobody TE, a KR at WR, and a nobody RB...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exceptions can always be found, but hardly makes it the norm.

One thing I know...........it's not a receiver's league unless it's fantasy stats

There's exceptions to every rule, but as I mentioned me personally I'll take the top five WR's over the top 5 LT's and I'd disagree with you on who is more important to Dallas future, but that's just my opinion vs yours time will tell the facts.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Julio was injured one year correct? I personally would take the receivers I mentioned over Smith, tomorrow isn't promised for anyone, God forbid but Smith could have a career ending injury and this be his last year, so you have to look at these type of conversations on an annual basis. I will not argue that TSmith is a top 3 LT he is, but I like the top 3 WRs over him Calvin, Dez, and AJ.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is unfair. You are going with a top 3 QB, top RB, top TE, and a pretty good OL vs a nobody QB, nobody TE, a KR at WR, and a nobody RB...

I agree, the better point would be giving both teams AR at QB, AP at RB, and then go on the switch of OL and WR from there. I'd take the average OL with a great QB and RB with Dez and Calvin vs the same with a great OL and Ted Ginn and Riley Cooper. I don't care how good your OL is, if you can't stretch the field I'm crowding the box and stoping the run, and blizting the shit out of the QB, I'd play single high all day on that team with no WR talent.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, the better point would be giving both teams AR at QB, AP at RB, and then go on the switch of OL and WR from there. I'd take the average OL with a great QB and RB with Dez and Calvin vs the same with a great OL and Ted Ginn and Riley Cooper. I don't care how good your OL is, if you can't stretch the field I'm crowding the box and stoping the run, and blizting the shit out of the QB, I'd play single high all day on that team with no WR talent.

The problem with this is if both teams are built as you say I can fix the team with the below average WR's a whole hell of a lot easier and faster than the below average line. Like I said, give me great O and D lines and ill take that team deep into the Playoffs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this is if both teams are built as you say I can fix the team with the below average WR's a whole hell of a lot easier and faster than the below average line. Like I said, give me great O and D lines and ill take that team deep into the Playoffs.

But you see you have 5 OL and 2 WR so in this case to be fair you only are going to have to fix either two OL or two WR only fair to compare equal teams correct?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you see you have 5 OL and 2 WR so in this case to be fair you only are going to have to fix either two OL or two WR only fair to compare equal teams correct?

OK, I make my team with 5 average skill players. QB, WR(2), RB, and TE. I'll still improve it quicker.

I want my OL to be the best possible across. Not saying I'll have the number 1 at every spot, but if I can put together a top 5 OL and keep them together 10 years I know I'll be able to plug and play WR's and RB's.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without a good OL, your WRs are meaningless.

Teams have won superbowls with lesser WRs. They have won with lesser RBs, they have even won with bus drivers for QBs. But the one thing Superbowl winners have in common. They won in the trenches. That is how I want our team built. From the trenches out.
Now if you ask me which is easier to replace. The best WR in football (by far) or a very good LT. Finding a very good LT is easier to find than another Calvin Johnson. So if Age wasn't in question. I would take a CJ over a T.Smith. It is easier to draft a LT than the next Calvin.

As far as the real question. Dez or Smith. if I had to choose only one to stay with the team that choice is an easy one for me. Smith all day long.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's exceptions to every rule, but as I mentioned me personally I'll take the top five WR's over the top 5 LT's and I'd disagree with you on who is more important to Dallas future, but that's just my opinion vs yours time will tell the facts.

That is so true....just wish we had a place to write this stuff down.

I think most people would take the top 5 wides to start a team over the top OT's. That wasn't the point. The point was this is not a wide receiver league, and that shouldn't be within the five adds when starting a team

Last edited by a moderator:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without a good OL, your WRs are meaningless.

Teams have won superbowls with lesser WRs. They have won with lesser RBs, they have even won with bus drivers for QBs. But the one thing Superbowl winners have in common. They won in the trenches. That is how I want our team built. From the trenches out.
Now if you ask me which is easier to replace. The best WR in football (by far) or a very good LT. Finding a very good LT is easier to find than another Calvin Johnson. So if Age wasn't in question. I would take a CJ over a T.Smith. It is easier to draft a LT than the next Calvin.

As far as the real question. Dez or Smith. if I had to choose only one to stay with the team that choice is an easy one for me. Smith all day long.

Thank you. The greatest receivers in the game mean nothing if your QB is sitting on his ass all game. Same goes for your secondary without a good dl up front.