• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyrone Smith's contract

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for trading Dez if we can get the value. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not he has ruined his trade value to the point that it wouldn't make sense for us to trade him.QUOTE]

I don't want to trade Dez, but Curious as to why you say this? I think the entire league sees him as a top 5 WR even with his issues. The only reason we might not get back great value would be because the prospective teams know he is going to command a huge contract. So they would likely not trade for him without an extension.

Last edited by a moderator:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for trading Dez if we can get the value. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not he has ruined his trade value to the point that it wouldn't make sense for us to trade him.QUOTE]

I don't want to trade Dez, but Curious as to why you say this? I think the entire league sees him as a top 5 WR even with his issues. The only reason we might not get back great value would be because the prospective teams know he is going to command a huge contract. So they would likely not trade for him without an extension.

Sproles was traded yesterday and Philly gave him a 2 year extension today

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to T Smith: Monroe signed for less than I thought he would have gotten...

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as Dez is the only thing holding them from getting a high pick for Dez is that he only has one year left. A team like St. Louis cant risk giving up a 1st rounder for him because he could walk after one season.

But Im going with Twist3d on this one. QB is the most valuable position on a team. After that its either LT or a blitzing end. Smith is young and excellent. His value is of waaaaaay more importance then any WR in the league. If I were the Eagles I'd be more pumped if we landed Smith then Megatron. The average fan sees Dez and Megatron scoring all the TD's but if you dont have a stud LT then WR isnt worth a dime. Wait.... did I really say Id rather have Smith then Megatron???:wtf2:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we tend to over simplify player positions and there importance. We would all agree that the QB is the most important guy on the field, and don't get me wrong every qb needs a LT protecting his blind side, but I'm not going to make a blanket statement about any other position. Ncmalko just suggested he would have Smith than Megatron....not me give me Megatron. Smith only makes up 20% of our OL; I don't want to understate his value and I get the general idea but there or certain players who the rule doesn't apply to. When Clady went down in Denver the Broncos didn't miss a beat. Joe Thomas has been the best LT in football for at least 5 yrs Cleveland has done squat. You have to have the right pieces in place to win period. I believe you can get away with good to avg LT play if the rest of your OL produces. Basically I'm just saying I agree that LT is very important,but to me it's not a no brainer that the highest quality LT is more important than an Elite wr.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we tend to over simplify player positions and there importance. We would all agree that the QB is the most important guy on the field, and don't get me wrong every qb needs a LT protecting his blind side, but I'm not going to make a blanket statement about any other position. Ncmalko just suggested he would have Smith than Megatron....not me give me Megatron. Smith only makes up 20% of our OL; I don't want to understate his value and I get the general idea but there or certain players who the rule doesn't apply to. When Clady went down in Denver the Broncos didn't miss a beat. Joe Thomas has been the best LT in football for at least 5 yrs Cleveland has done squat. You have to have the right pieces in place to win period. I believe you can get away with good to avg LT play if the rest of your OL produces. Basically I'm just saying I agree that LT is very important,but to me it's not a no brainer that the highest quality LT is more important than an Elite wr.

I would agree with your last statement, because a true elite LT is harder to find, and with the rules that are in place in today's passing game, even an average WR should be open every play

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In a vacuum, I feel LT is probably the 2nd most important position and only rivaled by a dominant pass rusher, but I'm with you about generalizing It. No way I take T. Smith over Calvin. Actually, no way I even spend more than a second thinking about it...Calvin is a once in a generation type talent.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vacuum, I feel LT is probably the 2nd most important position and only rivaled by a dominant pass rusher, but I'm with you about generalizing It. No way I take T. Smith over Calvin. Actually, no way I even spend more than a second thinking about it...Calvin is a once in a generation type talent.

exactly

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd rather build around Smith than Calvin at this point. A lot younger, Smith will only get better. It is a more important position and average WRs can get open in this league. Where as you can have Smith keep you clean all game every game, generally.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather build around Smith than Calvin at this point. A lot younger, Smith will only get better. It is a more important position and average WRs can get open in this league. Where as you can have Smith keep you clean all game every game, generally.

I agree

Yes I think Calvin is an elite once a in a decade type receiver

But I think Smith is a once on a generation LT

This kid is 23 years old.... 1 year older than most rookies..... and already a top 5 LT .... and as said in the quote WILL ONLY GET BETTER

You talk about once in a lifetime player with as good as he is at his age .... and the importance of his position in a passing league

Hands down IMO Smith is the most important player this team needs to keep

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as Dez is the only thing holding them from getting a high pick for Dez is that he only has one year left. A team like St. Louis cant risk giving up a 1st rounder for him because he could walk after one season.

But Im going with Twist3d on this one. QB is the most valuable position on a team. After that its either LT or a blitzing end. Smith is young and excellent. His value is of waaaaaay more importance then any WR in the league. If I were the Eagles I'd be more pumped if we landed Smith then Megatron. The average fan sees Dez and Megatron scoring all the TD's but if you dont have a stud LT then WR isnt worth a dime. Wait.... did I really say Id rather have Smith then Megatron???:wtf2:
I would and that's no homerism either. I rather have just about any elite LT over Megatron. We had something like Megatron in Owens a few years ago and it resulted in zero playoff wins. Hell, Megatron has won no playoff games with Detroit. Megatron is special and is by far the best WR in the NFL and could be a top 10 WR all time, but no WR holds a candle to an elite LT as far as value to a football team's winning, in my honest opinion. Replace Smith with a mediocre LT last year and I'm not sure if we win 5 games.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams looked like a number 2 to me last season. Austin came back and stunted his growth. Williams actually shocked me. His game translated well from college

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna burst y'all bubble right quick and prove that LT isn't the second most important position. When healthy Clady for Denver is top 5 LT and I think most to all would agree, however he missed most of the season yet Denver still killed it and went to the bowl, Okung for Seattle is a middle of the pack LT and they won the Bowl. Season before last, Baltimore has BMac as LT he at best is in the 15-20 range as a LT, SF had a top 5 LT and still lost, now to be honest I don't think WR or LT are a top 2 position, and I'd have to challenge and say that it depends on which WR vs which LT we are talking about am I going to take first, because honestly I'll take Green, Dez, Calvin, Demaryious, and Julio over any LT in the NFL, but then I'd probably take the next top ten LT's over any other WR in the NFL except maybe Gordon if he proves he is t a one year fluke, kid has mad talent, wish Jerry woulda risked it in the sub draft. Anyways point is I don't think I either spot wins you a bowl to be honest, I think RB at this point is more important, even though there is an over inflation of RBs in the NFL right now, without a doubt Pass Rusher is more important, then I'd probably go with safety and ILB. Overall LT is probably more valuable that WR, but just depends on the player.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams looked like a number 2 to me last season. Austin came back and stunted his growth. Williams actually shocked me. His game translated well from college

Austin didn't stunt his growth, I'll argue with you and twist til I die on this, Twill stunt TWills growth unless u want to blame Garrett and Romo, Miles only had 49 targets on the season, Cole Beasley had 54, in other words it was far from Miles taking plays away from Twill.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna burst y'all bubble right quick and prove that LT isn't the second most important position. When healthy Clady for Denver is top 5 LT and I think most to all would agree, however he missed most of the season yet Denver still killed it and went to the bowl, Okung for Seattle is a middle of the pack LT and they won the Bowl. Season before last, Baltimore has BMac as LT he at best is in the 15-20 range as a LT, SF had a top 5 LT and still lost, now to be honest I don't think WR or LT are a top 2 position, and I'd have to challenge and say that it depends on which WR vs which LT we are talking about am I going to take first, because honestly I'll take Green, Dez, Calvin, Demaryious, and Julio over any LT in the NFL, but then I'd probably take the next top ten LT's over any other WR in the NFL except maybe Gordon if he proves he is t a one year fluke, kid has mad talent, wish Jerry woulda risked it in the sub draft. Anyways point is I don't think I either spot wins you a bowl to be honest, I think RB at this point is more important, even though there is an over inflation of RBs in the NFL right now, without a doubt Pass Rusher is more important, then I'd probably go with safety and ILB. Overall LT is probably more valuable that WR, but just depends on the player.

:agree: Thats exactly how I see it and I did reference this earlier. Joe Thomas is probably the best LT of this decade.....didn't help Weeden.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T Smith is much more important to the Dallas Cowboys future than a receiver that still only runs about 4 pass routes

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

exceptions can always be found, but hardly makes it the norm.

One thing I know...........it's not a receiver's league unless it's fantasy stats

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, you take Megatron, and it's not close. I love TSmith, and think he is an awesome LT. Elite position players make OL better by drawing more defenders away from the line of scrimmage. The early 90's Cowboys are a great example of this. The one OL they had that was truly great(after EWilliams was hurt) was Larry Allen, but he was drafted in 94. The Cowboys were a Dynasty mainly because defenses simply couldn't defend all the weapons they had. Even in the Super Bowl run, when Emmitt held out, the team went 0-2. When Irvin was injured, their deep threat in Harper left, and Aikman and Smith got a little older, the fact that we had the greatest offensive lineman of all time in his prime didn't equate to wins

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, you take Megatron, and it's not close. I love TSmith, and think he is an awesome LT. Elite position players make OL better by drawing more defenders away from the line of scrimmage. The early 90's Cowboys are a great example of this. The one OL they had that was truly great(after EWilliams was hurt) was Larry Allen, but he was drafted in 94. The Cowboys were a Dynasty mainly because defenses simply couldn't defend all the weapons they had. Even in the Super Bowl run, when Emmitt held out, the team went 0-2. When Irvin was injured, their deep threat in Harper left, and Aikman and Smith got a little older, the fact that we had the greatest offensive lineman of all time in his prime didn't equate to wins

:agree:

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you and Nets are looking at it wrong. Yeah we had a great DEFENSE. Not just one great player on it. We are talking about position vs one position, the the teams as a whole. I also think people don't give E.Smith enough credit, because they will ramble about our great O-line.
Yeah you can find some teams that have succeeded without an Elite LT, but there are other factors.

Denver LT had Manning as a QB.

Seahawks LT had that defense and a good run game/qb.

Jets also went to a few straight AFC Championship games with average WRs.

IMO LT will ALWAYS be a more important position than WR.

Smith is a top 3 LT, IMO, and you keep that over a injured Julio Jones, a will be 29 year old Megatron, and ANY other WR out there.