• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two failures continue to haunt this team

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that our OL is one of the best in the league at run blocking. Do I think that Morris and RG3 help them out a bit in this stat? Yes, but they still do a very good job in zone blocking. But they are one of the worst at pocket protection. While they have only given up 18 sacks, they have given up 54 QB hits which ranks them as one of the worst in the league. Honestly, if RG3 wasn't as athletic as he is, those sack numbers would be higher.

Most of these hits come from pressure right up the middle. Teams have figured out our weaknesses and apply max pressure up the middle. GK said it could be a communication problem. I'm sure that it is part of it. But this line has played together for almost 2 years straight, and that's very rare. SO if they have a communication problem then there is another problem. Realistically, they are too small and weak to handle the big nose tackles and DTs that eat them up. One big nose tackle requires both a center and a guard, leaving a gap if a LB blitzes or there is a stunt from the outside.

This middle pressure is compounded by RG3 who has yet not mastered the art of pocket passing, pre reading pressure and calling hot reads. Moreover, he doesn't handle pressure in his face well. Some of it may be related to his injury, but most of it is he just isn't experienced in sitting in a pocket and learning to slide to an opening. He tends to back pedal and then try and throw off his back foot. Rarely does this result in a positive outcome.

So my whole point is that we do need to upgrade our interior OL, over time, that finds a center and a G or 2 that can both zone block and pocket protect. In the meantime, and this is where I comment about RG3 remaining upright comes in, is that we can't continue to put RG3 in a position where we call for 7 step drops and not expect the defense to bring max pressure up the middle. My immediate concern is over the play calling. My longer term concern is finding better talent. I recognize the desire, and the need, for RG3 to develop into a premier pocket passer. But you have to have the tools to protect him and he needs an offseason, or a couple, to work on his skill set. To continue to force fit it this year seems idiotic to me. He is not ready and neither is our OL. He, and the OL, do just fine in play action, in rollouts, and in bootlegs. Then you mix in a few 7 step drops to keep them off kilter. So that's my position.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have given up 54 QB hits which ranks them as one of the worst in the league. Honestly, if RG3 wasn't as athletic as he is, those sack numbers would be higher.

where did you get that stat?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks i will check it out good source

Good listing. Notice that the almighty Luck & Wilson teams both have much worse numbers. No doubt these numbers are a combination of factors. That is why I believe that the Redskins could benefit by an upgrade at O-line (no matter how slight) & by major work with the coaches by RG3 this offseason. He does not help matters with his poor feeling for pocket pressure & the fact that he often holds onto the ball too long.

This is an area that is certainly very fixable.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...do we all realize now that many of the hits, unusual to the QB position, are because of RG3?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...do we all realize now that many of the hits, unusual to the QB position, are because of RG3?

Sure but again it is a combination of things. I believe that he & the team will be fine. People have to remember that he is still only in his 2nd year. In the old NFL he would not have even been on the field at this stage. This is all part of a learning process & as I mentioned above very fixable.

I have high hopes for their offense moving forward. My concerns are more with the other two facets of the team.

HTTR

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fixable but don't put blame where it doesn't belong.

Who cares. They can use help on the O-line & RG3 needs to improve his game. I am sure that they will address both during the offseason. Beyond that - blame is meaningless as long as the team understands what they need to fix.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good listing. Notice that the almighty Luck & Wilson teams both have much worse numbers. No doubt these numbers are a combination of factors. That is why I believe that the Redskins could benefit by an upgrade at O-line (no matter how slight) & by major work with the coaches by RG3 this offseason. He does not help matters with his poor feeling for pocket pressure & the fact that he often holds onto the ball too long.

This is an area that is certainly very fixable.

i still didnt see that stats can someone post a link ?

not doubting it , just want to look at it

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares. They can use help on the O-line & RG3 needs to improve his game. I am sure that they will address both during the offseason. Beyond that - blame is meaningless as long as the team understands what they need to fix.

Nobody is saying we can't improve the OL. Most are saying this OL isn't as bad as many of you biiitch about. If the player is there that can make our team better on the OL at the right price or pick...then make the play for the guy.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here it is DAD. Both have been hit many more times than RG3.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...=PASSING_QBHIT

it seems to me that the skins could end the year around the middle of the pack in QB hits once everyone has played the same amount of games ETC

and again i am not saying we shouldnt look to upgrade at the right price or time . but price and time are the key . the defense needs the help . it has been bottom of the pack for 3 years running . the offense is top 5 2 years running .

what i am saying is our o/line isnt as bad as it is made out to be and defensive help is needed more .

somehow people equate that "it isnt as bad as being portrayed " as meaning "we dont need help "

they cant separate the 2 concepts at all

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it seems to me that the skins could end the year around the middle of the pack in QB hits once everyone has played the same amount of games ETC

and again i am not saying we shouldnt look to upgrade at the right price or time . but price and time are the key . the defense needs the help . it has been bottom of the pack for 3 years running . the offense is top 5 2 years running .

what i am saying is our o/line isnt as bad as it is made out to be and defensive help is needed more .

somehow people equate that "it isnt as bad as being portrayed " as meaning "we dont need help "

they cant separate the 2 concepts at all

That's because they are slow and either can't read the English language or liberalize it by adding whatever they want to make it a lie.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is saying we can't improve the OL. Most are saying this OL isn't as bad as many of you biiitch about. If the player is there that can make our team better on the OL at the right price or pick...then make the play for the guy.

Again - who cares. You are talking about frustrated fans. We are all going to vent & often say things that may not be quite correct. The important thing is that the team knows their issues and makes the necessary moves over the offseason. I am pretty confident that will occur on the offensive side of the ball.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - who cares. You are talking about frustrated fans. We are all going to vent & often say things that may not be quite correct. The important thing is that the team knows their issues and makes the necessary moves over the offseason. I am pretty confident that will occur on the offensive side of the ball.

i see venting after the game , i see maybe a day or so after it

but when you put facts on the table and all you get is the "homer with rose colored glasses " mantra then ity goes more to blindness

look i know the shanahan haters . i know the Rak haters i know the o/line scapegoaters wont change if you club them over the proverbial head

i mean look at it rak and kerrigan are virtually the same stats wise yet kerrigan is great and rak is a disappointment

kyle has had a top 5 offense 4 of 6 years yet he is a dolt

the o/line is ranked pretty darn good in sacks and running the ball and about middle of the pack in qb hits yet they suck and are the root of all evil (proverbially )

so many fans want all stars at every position , every call perfect every throw dead on , and no drops at all and will bash until the chickens come home to roost

we are 3-6 because we didnt execute from week one on .

there are reason we werent what we thought we were . too many injuries last offseason .

we asked a lot of guys to come out and produce at a high level right away and most didnt . RG3 took time , merriweather is just starting to round into shape rak did ok coming in , helu looked good , davis hasnt seen the field as the same with carriker .

now the overwhelming issue is execution . from getting plays in on time , to foolish penalties , to poor tackling and botched throws and catches .

we are a better team then week one despite dropping the vikings game but no one wants to hear that because they want to bash

now if we win then the mood will change just like it always does . if not then it will get even uglier here