• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Columns on Harbaugh's Lack of Confidence in Smith

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure if you simply don't understand what you are reading and just don't understand what the word contradiction means, or perhaps both, but there is no contradiction between those statements.

Whatever...

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? That record isn't going to help Alex put up points against the Giants in the playoffs. I'm not impressed by being 5-2. I'd be impressed if Alex could complete a pass to a WR on 3rd & 10. A WR who is actually 10 yards past the line of scrimmage that is.

Ill probably get flamed for this but I don't care. So his first two games plus the bills and Jets games he get thrown out the window? I'm sorry but just because smith has had a bad history makes the last 2 games stick out. He played a pretty solid d in a divisional game vs Seattle and struggled against the giants one game this yr. And again everyone jumps to conclusions and is ready to take him out. I'm not saying smith is the best qb and we couldn't do better but I personally don't think kap will do us any better right now and Tolzien either.

He is our best option right now and until he starts actually shitting the bed there is no reason to replace him. Week after week I see "elite" qbs play and turn the ball over and fail to score points while putting up the stats that everyone loves. But guess what they are losing those games. Yes we have a great all around team which helps. But smith is the guy and until harbaugh says otherwise or smith shits the bed then we roll with him. Quit discounting the good games he has had which far outweigh his so called bad games.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So his first two games plus the bills and Jets games he get thrown out the window?

Yes. I don't care what he does against craptastic defenses. When he gets to the playoffs, they'll know what's coming: 3 yard dumpoffs.

At least Kaep can keep 'em guessing.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it were a contradiction, which I'm not claiming, it was two different posters. I don't expect two different people to be making in sync remarks, even if they are on the same side of the argument. I don't like to be linked with other posters, so you guys shouldn't either. You and Clyde have different opinions on Smith than each other, even though you haven't come to a point in argument.

Clyde may feel differently, but as far as I'm concerned our positions are nearly identical, so I'm not sure what either you or ViperVisor are referring to with your respective comments.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I don't care what he does against craptastic defenses. When he gets to the playoffs, they'll know what's coming: 3 yard dumpoffs.

Quit acting like every qb plays beast against the good defenses. When we do okay against "craptastic" defenses he gets it done and that's what matters. Yes the giants have had his number and guess what we still beat the hawks while Tom Brady just lost to that same team. Guess what Rodgers did too even tho it was bs loss he still didn't do anything to take the game out if the hands of the refs. It may be a product of our complete team winning us games but don't act like Montana and young were complete superstars every game. He'll even with all the stats the "elite" qbs get, they still lose.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Quit acting like every qb plays beast against the good defenses. When we do okay against "craptastic" defenses he gets it done and that's what matters. Yes the giants have had his number and guess what we still beat the hawks while Tom Brady just lost to that same team. Guess what Rodgers did too even tho it was bs loss he still didn't do anything to take the game out if the hands of the refs. It may be a product of our complete team winning us games but don't act like Montana and young were complete superstars every game. He'll even with all the stats the "elite" qbs get, they still lose.

It's wasn't just a bad game. It was the fact that the Giants KNEW what is coming because it's the only thing Alex can do. They don't have to cover the same amount of the field as they would with a QB whose arm wasn't the weakest in the NFL.

If it was just his injured finger, then I might feel differently. However, there's no indication his finger is affecting his velocity. Put him up against a defense like that, and it'll be more of the same. He's been figured out.

Oh, and yes the Niners beat the Seahawks... DESPITE Alex's lame performance. He has ok WRs, the best TE in the game, the best OL in the game and great RBs. He no longer has any excuses.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for almost 2 seasons he's been improving.

No, for almost two seasons his stats improved - Alex, however, has largely remained the same QB. His statistical improvement came by way of environmental changes not a sudden improvement in his skill as a QB.

he sprains his finger, then has two horrible games where he has even less on his throws beyond 10 yards than usual.

You hold-on to this excuse as if it were the last floating deck chair from the Titanic, which is fine, as I said before you need excuses to make Smith appear better than he is.

So, feel free to use all the excuses you need. Unfortunately, there is no evidence whatsoever to support this excuse as all 12 of Smith's passes for 10+ yards since the Buffalo game had no lack of velocity whatsoever as you are suggesting.

thats complete bullshit. he started improving before harbaugh was here. he is nowhere near the same qb since sing started his tenure as coach.

u didn't see his passes having less velocity? its not excuses, i don't think smith should be starting games while injured. i want to win not chance a loss because he looks like ken dorsey.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did this injury happen before or after the Minnesota game? Because he looked like Alex Smith in that game.

he looked better in the vikings game than he did the past couple weeks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde may feel differently, but as far as I'm concerned our positions are nearly identical, so I'm not sure what either you or ViperVisor are referring to with your respective comments.

I was just saying by virtue of being different people, you have different opinions, or at least how you express your opinions. That's one reason why it's not a contradiction.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats complete bullshit. he started improving before harbaugh was here. he is nowhere near the same qb since sing started his tenure as coach.

u didn't see his passes having less velocity? its not excuses, i don't think smith should be starting games while injured. i want to win not chance a loss because he looks like ken dorsey.

Yes, Smith started throwing low-risk/high-percentage passes after the Philadelphia game in '10.

And now, after 23 games with Jim Harbaugh, the QB whisperer, Smith has improved from throwing low-risk/high-percentage passes to throwing - Wait for it....

low-risk/high-percentage passes.

I'm thinking you just reinforced mine and many others point

Smith threw 12 passes of 10+ yards after the Buffalo game and every one was thrown with Smith's usual velocity - Every one. Sorry, there is just no evidence whatsoever to support this mysterious sprained finger excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just saying by virtue of being different people, you have different opinions, or at least how you express your opinions. That's one reason why it's not a contradiction.

Ehh, that's not really even close either. Different people can have the same opinion.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh, that's not really even close either. Different people can have the same opinion.

Yeah, you're right, two can have the same opinion. Any distinction I could try to make would be meaningless. Just voicing my agreement that the statements weren't contradictory. I won't say anymore because this is neither important nor going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's partly in jest, right? No one has any basis to say that Kaep would do a better job starting for a full game than Smith, unless you were at training camp and been to the practices and somehow have a quarterback football IQ above Harbaugh and Roman so you've noticed stuff they have missed.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's partly in jest, right? No one has any basis to say that Kaep would do a better job starting for a full game than Smith, unless you were at training camp and been to the practices and somehow have a quarterback football IQ above Harbaugh and Roman so you've noticed stuff they have missed.
Alex: 25 TDs, 10 INTs, 3200 yards, 1 rushing TD.
Kap: 29 TDs, 18 INTs, 3600 yards, 5 rushing TDs.

These people don't need a basis.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Smith started throwing low-risk/high-percentage passes after the Philadelphia game in '10.

And now, after 23 games with Jim Harbaugh, the QB whisperer, Smith has improved from throwing low-risk/high-percentage passes to throwing - Wait for it....

low-risk/high-percentage passes.

I'm thinking you just reinforced mine and many others point

Smith threw 12 passes of 10+ yards after the Buffalo game and every one was thrown with Smith's usual velocity - Every one. Sorry, there is just no evidence whatsoever to support this mysterious sprained finger excuse.

it was pretty obvious his velocity was an issue in the giants game and in the seattle game most of his passes were short. if he's not able to make the throws because of the injury he shouldn't be out there.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was pretty obvious his velocity was an issue in the giants game and in the seattle game most of his passes were short. if he's not able to make the throws because of the injury he shouldn't be out there.

Smith actually threw nearly the same percentage of 10+ yard passes vs. Seattle (22%) game as he did vs. the Giants (23%). There was zero velocity issues with all 12 of those passes. Now, there was a pant load of piss-poor decision making but no velocity issues. Sorry.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex: 25 TDs, 10 INTs, 3200 yards, 1 rushing TD.
Kap: 29 TDs, 18 INTs, 3600 yards, 5 rushing TDs.

Where are you getting this comparative quote from?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith actually threw nearly the same percentage of 10+ yard passes vs. Seattle (22%) game as he did vs. the Giants (23%). There was zero velocity issues with all 12 of those passes. Now, there was a pant load of piss-poor decision making but no velocity issues. Sorry.

not only did i notice the velocity issues but the commentators did as well...

and what was the % earlier in the year?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not only did i notice the velocity issues but the commentators did as well...

and what was the % earlier in the year?

I can recall Joe Buck mentioning the length of time it took for Smith's pass to "come down" on Walker's INT while Aikman wondered aloud why Smith was even throwing to Walker in the first place. You and everyone else should be much more concerned with the TWO poor decisions Smith made on that play and nothing else.

However, to help you better understand how that particular pass is of no support to your argument, Walker was bracketed and Smith's pass was intended to be a jump ball; thus, the pass was well thrown. So that is ONE pass which was intended to be a lob. What other passes do you recall the announcers mentioning Smith's velocity issues?

As for Smith's % earlier in the year you'll need to look that up yourself. You raised the comparison based on your false belief that Smith's passes were weak during the Giants game and intimated he threw fewer 10+ passes during the Seattle game suggesting that Smith should not be out there if he can't make the throws.

He made the same percentage of long throws in both games. Thus your implication that Smith was reeled in during the Seattle game because he was "unable to make the throws" due to some mysterious finger sprain injury was false and misleading.