• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tristan agrees to contract agreement

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kanters metrics said he was the worst defensive player in the league last year- he is without a doubt a much better offensive player than Thompson- but if you are talking about who is actually better? you could certainly make a reasoned argument for Thompson- that whole list- there are guys on their you could make the argument for either way- Wes Mathews- great player- but hes coming off a torn achilees which is not good at all- Id take Thompson over Robin Lopez in a second- The Bucks got rid of Knight since they had no intention of paying him big money and the Suns backed themselves into a corner to after Dragic left- and its not like Knight has done much in the league- Valuncuinas same thing----- Besides Draymond Green- not one guy on that list has proved he can be counted on to be a major factor in the playoffs- plus Thompson NEVER gets hurt and has continually improved.

When you look at what other players signed for- OR TURNED DOWN- freaking HARRISON BARNES turning down 16 million a year- i do not know how yo ucan say Thompson's contract was out of whack in a major way.
Obviously Kanter is horrible on defense, just look at the Jazz's defense when he left and Gobert started. Yeah TT might be better than some of them, I agree he's better than sideshow bob, but it's the fact that he's getting paid this much to be the backup PF to a 20mil/year PF that I think is crazy. Pretty much all of those other guys got paid to start, if TT was starting it wouldn't look as bad to me. We knew it'd happen though, because the Cavs need to keep Mr. James happy.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, the SPURS were perfectly built to beat those Nash SUNS teams.
The SUNS probably could have won a title or two, but the Spurs simply had the exact lineup to defeat them.

The 2003-2007 Spurs came within an overtime game 7 (after a Manu brainfart) and a Derek Fisher .4 second miracle shot of winning 5 straight titles.

The Spurs got old and had to reinvent themselves during some lean years in 09 and 10 with makeshift teams that diminished the core's accomplishments together. But they were damn good at their peak.

There is no real shame in Phoenix losing to them at their peak.
Lebron knows damn well how good those Spurs teams were after the 2007 Finals.

This x 1000. If last year's Warriors team could win a title then under different circumstances with different matchups from a talent standpoint there's no reason the Suns team in it's prime years couldn't. Same with that 1993 team that made the finals with KJ, Barkley, Thunder Dan, Ainge, Miller, etc. They ran into a machine named Michael Jordan.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns have been in existence since '69
tl;dr

You're upset that you got hit with facts and couldn't handle them. Go have a margarita or something and lighten up Wiggy. You're normally a decent poster but now you just sound like an angry toddler.
yah....facts...like Gilbert isnt a cheapass that blew his shot at a dynasty like Sarver.

seriosuly- when do you imagine you will get 2 more players at the same time like Nash and Amare again?- When do you think you will actually be a threat to come out of the West again?

As far as I can tell -the Suns have made the Finals Twice- both times losing- the most recent time in 1993

The Cavs of course made it to the Finals in '07 and last year. HMMMMMM...as someone that was born in the early 80's- ILL TAKE THE CAVS ANY DAY OF THE FREAKING WEEK over the Suns. ESPECIALLY with what the Cavs are poised to do.

But dont worry man--- 1993 was the last Finals appearance...couldnt get it done with Barkley and Thunder Dan etc....(I was much too young at that point to give a flying fuck)--- but you also couldnt get it done with the Nash and Amare era.

GIVE ME THE CAVS ANY DAY OF THE FREAKING WEEK.

who knows when the next time the Suns make the Finals after blowing that opportunity with Nash and Amare. With how the West looks? COULD BE A LONG LONG TIME.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This x 1000. If last year's Warriors team could win a title then under different circumstances with different matchups from a talent standpoint there's no reason the Suns team in it's prime years couldn't. Same with that 1993 team that made the finals with KJ, Barkley, Thunder Dan, Ainge, Miller, etc. They ran into a machine named Michael Jordan.

Hey Doc -- are you saying the Warriors are "lucky" that they had the right matchups & situation/health to win the title.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns have been in existence since '69

yah....facts...like Gilbert isnt a cheapass that blew his shot at a dynasty like Sarver.

seriosuly- when do you imagine you will get 2 more players at the same time like Nash and Amare again?- When do you think you will actually be a threat to come out of the West again?

As far as I can tell -the Suns have made the Finals Twice- both times losing- the most recent time in 1993

The Cavs of course made it to the Finals in '07 and last year. HMMMMMM...as someone that was born in the early 80's- ILL TAKE THE CAVS ANY DAY OF THE FREAKING WEEK over the Suns. ESPECIALLY with what the Cavs are poised to do.

But dont worry man--- 1993 was the last Finals appearance...couldnt get it done with Barkley and Thunder Dan etc....(I was much too young at that point to give a flying fuck)--- but you also couldnt get it done with the Nash and Amare era.

GIVE ME THE CAVS ANY DAY OF THE FREAKING WEEK.

who knows when the next time the Suns make the Finals after blowing that opportunity with Nash and Amare. With how the West looks? COULD BE A LONG LONG TIME.

You didn't take my advice.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Kanter is horrible on defense, just look at the Jazz's defense when he left and Gobert started. Yeah TT might be better than some of them, I agree he's better than sideshow bob, but it's the fact that he's getting paid this much to be the backup PF to a 20mil/year PF that I think is crazy. Pretty much all of those other guys got paid to start, if TT was starting it wouldn't look as bad to me. We knew it'd happen though, because the Cavs need to keep Mr. James happy.
Exactly- while I agree- at first glance 16 million for Thompson seems insane- buts its all relative to the market and what other guys are getting and the cap. Teams have circumstances that dictate things have to get done. For The pistons to lose REggie Jackson after giving up assets to get him would have been bad- they had to resign him- and overpay him. Same with the Suns and Knight

the Suns really botched all that shit if you ask me. They gave up one of the VERY BEST assets in the NBA- the Lakers pick that is ONLY top 3 protected, AND Goran Dragic- for Brandon Knight and some lotto ticket picks from the Heat (that who knows- maybe they come through- but maybe they dont- that Lakers pick was freaking VALUABLE).

AND after that- they just GIVE away Morris to the Pistons and piss off their team.....I mean- this is after they traded Isiah Thomas to the Celtics for late first orund pick and Thomas becomes the Celtics best player pretty much right away- but obviously they alienated Dragic in the meantime. I mean- no team had a worst season last year in relative to their expectations then the Suns.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^
1) Knight is 23 and costed about 20 mil less than Dragic
2) The Heat pick could turn out to be a good one in 2017-2019, who knows where that franchise will be, it's unprotected by 19, plus another first rounder coming in 21'. Two first rounders for 1 ultimately.
3) Marcus Morris is trash
4) This upcoming draft class is weeeak
5) Thomas deal shed salary at a position they had too much depth in.

MORE FACTS!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- they basically gave up the Lakers pick, Goran Dragic, Miles Plumlee ( a decent young center) and Tyler Ennis ( a point guard they drafted in the first round I thought had potential)- for Brandon Knight, and 2 first round picks from the Heat- the 2nd one does not transfer till 2021.

I mean- They gave up the 2 best assets in the deal- Dragic and the Lakers pick- to get a guard- who has not figured out if he is a point guard or shooting guard- and that Milwaukee wanted to get rid of beacuse they had no intention of paying him a salary in the mid teens.

No team has tripped over their dick worse than the Suns have since the trade deadline last year until now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^
1) Knight is 23 and costed about 20 mil less than Dragic
2) The Heat pick could turn out to be a good one in 2017-2019, who knows where that franchise will be, it's unprotected by 19, plus another first rounder coming in 21'. Two first rounders for 1 ultimately.
3) Marcus Morris is trash
4) This upcoming draft class is weeeak
5) Thomas deal shed salary at a position they had too much depth in.

MORE FACTS!
as a suns fan do yo uhonestly disagree with me? Do you REALLY think the Suns have done a good job in the last 8 months? I thought they absolutely screwed the pooch and took a team that over acheived the year before and looked like it was on an upward slope- and then they suddenly gutted the team , slaughtered any momentum they had- and came away with a worse roster and worse assets.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- they basically gave up the Lakers pick, Goran Dragic, Miles Plumlee ( a decent young center) and Tyler Ennis ( a point guard they drafted in the first round I thought had potential)- for Brandon Knight, and 2 first round picks from the Heat- the 2nd one does not transfer till 2021.

I mean- They gave up the 2 best assets in the deal- Dragic and the Lakers pick- to get a guard- who has not figured out if he is a point guard or shooting guard- and that Milwaukee wanted to get rid of beacuse they had no intention of paying him a salary in the mid teens.

No team has tripped over their dick worse than the Suns have since the trade deadline last year until now.

Plumlee sucks, Ennis is a backup PG at best, Dragic was going to become a FA and not re-sign so not really a good trade chip in terms of landing a ton back. Knight costed less than him and is younger. Plus this upcoming draft class is weak so they turned one first rounder into two. Next.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a suns fan do yo uhonestly disagree with me? Do you REALLY think the Suns have done a good job in the last 8 months? I thought they absolutely screwed the pooch and took a team that over acheived the year before and looked like it was on an upward slope- and then they suddenly gutted the team , slaughtered any momentum they had- and came away with a worse roster and worse assets.

Their biggest mistake wasn't at the deadline, they did well with all things considered. Their biggest mistake was signing Isaiah Thomas instead of a big man last offseason.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggy is embarrassing himself once again.

Damn shame

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly- while I agree- at first glance 16 million for Thompson seems insane- buts its all relative to the market and what other guys are getting and the cap. Teams have circumstances that dictate things have to get done. For The pistons to lose REggie Jackson after giving up assets to get him would have been bad- they had to resign him- and overpay him. Same with the Suns and Knight

the Suns really botched all that shit if you ask me. They gave up one of the VERY BEST assets in the NBA- the Lakers pick that is ONLY top 3 protected, AND Goran Dragic- for Brandon Knight and some lotto ticket picks from the Heat (that who knows- maybe they come through- but maybe they dont- that Lakers pick was freaking VALUABLE).

AND after that- they just GIVE away Morris to the Pistons and piss off their team.....I mean- this is after they traded Isiah Thomas to the Celtics for late first orund pick and Thomas becomes the Celtics best player pretty much right away- but obviously they alienated Dragic in the meantime. I mean- no team had a worst season last year in relative to their expectations then the Suns.
If he started and got this deal I would think it's par for the course of deals being handed out. Being off the bench makes me think it's way too much. Cavs going all in and he makes their bench better with his rebounding and defense, so they're willing to live with the overpay.

I don't think Reggie Jackson is bad, maybe paid more than I would have guessed but with Jennings coming off an injury and being someone they could possibly look to move, Reggie fits well imo with that young core of players in Drummond, KCP, and Stanley Johnson.

As far as the Suns go, I'd rather have Dragic over Knight but it didn't look likely for him staying past the 2014-2015 season so at least they got someone good for him. And I can't criticize their IT trade when the Kings gave him up to the Suns for very little.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about it -- the Cavs "overpayed". But they are in the fortunate position to be able to do it -- and TT should be an important guy in the rotation.

I hate to jump in late -- but this is what I thought would happen. TT had to know the whole time that $80M was fair -- and he wasn't going to blow off the team pushing for more $$$. (the extra $2M was a bone they threw to Paul so he didn't look too bad) Even though Lebron said it was a distraction, no one will remember in the month or two that he signed late. But if had dragged on another month or two -- it could have had an impact. We'll probably never hear about it -- but it wouldn't surprise me if TT went to Paul in the last few days and said "we're gonna sign the contract ... I'm not screwing up a great situation".

Now the big question is if Kyrie can stay healthy ... and if the Cavs offense moves the ball or if they go back to holding the ball and playing 1-on-1.

I see all the empty seats in Miami tonight ... reminds me of some playoff games.
Great post.

Your def right in that- the extra 2 M was a bone they threw Paul and TT so they could save a little face. You are also right- that getting this thing done before the season starting was the right thing to do- and Thompson likely told Paul - "enough messing around- lets get this done".

16 million a year is a lot for Thompson. I would feel better going forward if i was the Cavs management if he was only on the books for between 12-14M- but the market, the rising cap, Thompson coming through big time in the playoffs- and the other circumstances meant he was going to get a little premium- which most all free agents get.

Just glad the Cavs didnt cave in and pay him the over 19M a year he wanted. They stuck to their guns and did the rigth thing. And STill- its not like they arent paying him a bunch of money- like i said- the highest just payroll- in league history was the Nets in '12-'13 at 102M. This years Cavs team is 111M with Thompson added. Thats a LOT of cash

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their biggest mistake wasn't at the deadline, they did well with all things considered. Their biggest mistake was signing Isaiah Thomas instead of a big man last offseason.

yah..you mean the signing that pissed off Dragic and caused you to move him for peanuts?

It just makes NO SENSE to me how you give up Dragic, hte Lakers pick, Plumlee and Ennis- and come away with Brandon Knight, Danny Granger, and 2 first rounders - of which dont transfer for a long time.

I mean- JUST THE LAKERS pick- was WAY more than I would have given up for Knight- ESPECIALLY since the Bucks had no intention of paying Knight. And then to get nothing but first rounders that dont transfer for years for Dragic is just stupidity beyond belief. How do you go from being one of the NBA's darlings the previous season and a big time over acheiver to totally pissing off your best player (or 2nd best depending on your opinion of Bledsoe), dealing your best draft assest- and coming away with the privilege of paying Brandon Knight- a tweener guard who has never had a significant moment in the league and then pay him all that money.

that was just AWFUL all the way around.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah..you mean the signing that pissed off Dragic and caused you to move him for peanuts?

It just makes NO SENSE to me how you give up Dragic, hte Lakers pick, Plumlee and Ennis- and come away with Brandon Knight, Danny Granger, and 2 first rounders - of which dont transfer for a long time.

I mean- JUST THE LAKERS pick- was WAY more than I would have given up for Knight- ESPECIALLY since the Bucks had no intention of paying Knight. And then to get nothing but first rounders that dont transfer for years for Dragic is just stupidity beyond belief. How do you go from being one of the NBA's darlings the previous season and a big time over acheiver to totally pissing off your best player (or 2nd best depending on your opinion of Bledsoe), dealing your best draft assest- and coming away with the privilege of paying Brandon Knight- a tweener guard who has never had a significant moment in the league and then pay him all that money.

that was just AWFUL all the way around.

Nah, signing Thomas is what led to it all.

Dragic for peanuts? Hmm. Let's see, a POINT GUARD (deepest position in the NBA) that is about to become a unrestricted free agent and that has demanded a trade hours before the deadline isn't exactly easy to deal with. Zero leverage for the Suns in that situation, they could've lost him for nothing in the offseason. Instead, they get a restricted FA that was an All-Star last year at age 23 and 2 first rounders for 1 first rounder in a draft that is known to be weak towards the top outside of Ben Simmons. Honestly they got more than I thought they would for someone they were gonna lose anyways. Giving up the pick sucks, but it's no sure thing anyways, LA could get it back if it's top 3, and if it's not top 3 the pick will suck anyways. Such a bad incoming class this year, lots of question marks. McDonough did his homework.

Plus, we have to develop Booker, Warren, Len, and Bogdanovic (next year) so it might be for the best to not have an extra pick this year. Stack em up for the future.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he started and got this deal I would think it's par for the course of deals being handed out. Being off the bench makes me think it's way too much. Cavs going all in and he makes their bench better with his rebounding and defense, so they're willing to live with the overpay.

I don't think Reggie Jackson is bad, maybe paid more than I would have guessed but with Jennings coming off an injury and being someone they could possibly look to move, Reggie fits well imo with that young core of players in Drummond, KCP, and Stanley Johnson.

As far as the Suns go, I'd rather have Dragic over Knight but it didn't look likely for him staying past the 2014-2015 season so at least they got someone good for him. And I can't criticize their IT trade when the Kings gave him up to the Suns for very little.
I am not so worried about who starts the game as who finishes the game- and even when healthy- it seemed that Thompson was in the game with Irving, Shumpert, LBJ and Love- as their main crunch time lineup. And as we saw in the playoffs- Thompson both started, played, and proved himself in a big way. You KNOW he can do the job- you KNOW that he has the mentality to step up his game in the playoffs. For some guys- when you pay them you just dont know that- and its a concern. In todays league with smaller and smaller lineups, and the center position becoming less and less emphasized- versatile bigs that can play the 4 or 5 - like Thompson- and that can be versatile defensively in the pick and roll- have real value.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, signing Thomas is what led to it all.

Dragic for peanuts? Hmm. Let's see, a POINT GUARD (deepest position in the NBA) that is about to become a unrestricted free agent and that has demanded a trade hours before the deadline isn't exactly easy to deal with. Zero leverage for the Suns in that situation, they could've lost him for nothing in the offseason. Instead, they get a restricted FA that was an All-Star last year at age 23 and 2 first rounders for 1 first rounder in a draft that is known to be weak towards the top outside of Ben Simmons.
Who's fault was it he demanded a trade? THE SUNS MANAGEMENT. They screwed the pooch.

I mean- JUST THINK- as a Suns fan how different things could have been if you had someone competent at the helm for the last year or so.

You could be coming into this year with a starting back court of Bledsoe and Dragic- which would be one of the best in the league. You could have the Lakers top 3 protected pick in your pocket to either keep or deal. Instead? Brandon Knight on a long term deal making a ton of money and -I GUESS- switching positions to shooting guard? Any time you can give a guy like Brandon Knight- a guy who is stuck in between a PG and a SG- a ton of money- when he has proved very very little- I mean- you HAVE TO DO IT- especially when yo uhave backed yourself into a corner by giving up a TON of assets to get him.

and seriously - Tyson Chandler is getting 13 million a year for FOUR YEARS. You dont think that was an overpay to give Tyson Chandler- at 33 years old- a FOUR YEAR contract? Thats the NATURE of free agency- you HAVE to pay a premium to get these guys.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not so worried about who starts the game as who finishes the game- and even when healthy- it seemed that Thompson was in the game with Irving, Shumpert, LBJ and Love- as their main crunch time lineup. And as we saw in the playoffs- Thompson both started, played, and proved himself in a big way. You KNOW he can do the job- you KNOW that he has the mentality to step up his game in the playoffs. For some guys- when you pay them you just dont know that- and its a concern. In todays league with smaller and smaller lineups, and the center position becoming less and less emphasized- versatile bigs that can play the 4 or 5 - like Thompson- and that can be versatile defensively in the pick and roll- have real value.
I figure he will see some big crunch time minutes in games over Mosgov because of his offensive rebounding, and he had some big moments in the playoffs. But it's also one playoff run with their best PF injured during the first round, I don't think that turns him into Big Game Thompson or anything like that. He'll have to do a LOT to prove he's worth that contract for a guy who, despite where he is to end the games, still comes off the bench.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would be HARD PRESSED to find an article on the Winners and Losers of the 2015 NBA trade deadline and not have the Suns as one of the losers. In all the ones I have found the Suns have been a loser- and usually the #1--- -such as this one

Losers
Suns

This isn’t entirely Phoenix’s fault. Ryan McDonough was dealt a losing hand when Goran Dragic abruptly decided to make his future plans (very) public, about 48 hours before the trade deadline.

Once that happened, there was no way Phoenix was getting anything close to fair value. Part of the blame for that falls on the Suns, obviously. Signing Isaiah Thomas confused everyone this summer, and it looked pretty bad for the first few weeks. Then it looked smart for about a month, when the Suns were winning and looked like a playoff team. Now the Suns are on the outside of the playoff picture, Dragic is gone, and it all looks really, really bad.

All of that is just one offseason gamble that went the wrong way. Dragic probably expressed his frustration over the course of the year, but nobody could have predicted the total meltdown we saw the past few days. This was bad luck as much it was bad management.

The real reason the Suns are losers after Thursday is the second trade. Giving up a likely top-10 Lakers pick (probably in either 2015 or 2016) is just incomprehensible. In July, Phoenix will have either given that pick away for nothing (if Brandon Knight leaves), or it will have given that pick away so it can pay Knight $15 million a year. I don’t even know which scenario is more depressing.