• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada's rural population is almost 7 million. Plenty of farmers and ranchers live pretty far from the nearest police station. I think they're entitled to a handgun for protective purposes.

If they encounter a bear and try to take it out with a handgun, I have some bad news for that gun owner regarding the ending of that story.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they encounter a bear and try to take it out with a handgun, I have some bad news for that gun owner regarding the ending of that story.

Who needs a handgun?

tenor.gif

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of an aside here, but I like to look at structural issues underpinning some societal problems we are facing. And the thing I was thinking about today was that we haven't really amended the Constitution in any way in basically half a century. Take a look at the list of amendments. The only amendment since 1971 was a minor matter related to Congressional salaries.

In the modern media age, you can't talk about changing the Constitution and that's a real problem. Your opposition will bludgeon you with rhetoric on how you're pisssing on Thomas Jefferson's grave. But this is a significant problem because the very design of the Constitution was that it would evolve. But it's not.

Now this could be a spurious correlation, but there have been two lengthy periods without amendments. One was for 60 years directly proceeding the Civil War. The other was for 40+ years before World War 1 and the Great Depression. I don't think these events were a direct result of not amending the Constitution, but the alck of amendments could have been a symptom of politics over governance and allowed issues to fester until more serious problems erupted.

-Those over the age of 70 should not be running our government.
-The impeachment process should be fundamentally reworked - this is a shit process.
-Some drugs should be legalized and an amendment would rid us of the largest and most expensive incarcerated population in the world.
-When a candidate for President gets the most votes, they should be the fucking President. With all do respect to those who live inside the imaginary lines of Wyoming or New Hampshire, your political power is way out of whack.
-DC should have a Congress person.

These are just obvious ones. They are failures. Without amendments, we likely will not fix some major problems. Without fixing major problems, an eruption is coming.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. Most of the rural folk in Canada have rifles for hunting/livestock protection (legitimate uses). They don't need a gun that they can slip into their waistband. Want a little more protection out on your farm? Get a couple of large dogs. Oh wait, most have those already. Or should we just make all farmers carry AR-15s now? Oh and by the way the law in question gives MUNICIPALITIES the right to ban handguns, not huge counties. Most municipalities have police detachments (provincial or RCMP).

Banning these weapons has produced tangible results across the developed world. It's not the only thing that can be done but it's been proven to be effective at reducing fatalities. As for the a problem we may not have? Prevention is always better than reaction.
So, for example, Toronto could ban handguns but York Region right next door, a big part of which is still rural, would be free to not do so. What exactly is solved by that lol

Also, those are big leaps from "let them have handguns for protection" to "give all farmers AR-15s".

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of an aside here, but I like to look at structural issues underpinning some societal problems we are facing. And the thing I was thinking about today was that we haven't really amended the Constitution in any way in basically half a century. Take a look at the list of amendments. The only amendment since 1971 was a minor matter related to Congressional salaries.

In the modern media age, you can't talk about changing the Constitution and that's a real problem. Your opposition will bludgeon you with rhetoric on how you're pisssing on Thomas Jefferson's grave. But this is a significant problem because the very design of the Constitution was that it would evolve. But it's not.

Now this could be a spurious correlation, but there have been two lengthy periods without amendments. One was for 60 years directly proceeding the Civil War. The other was for 40+ years before World War 1 and the Great Depression. I don't think these events were a direct result of not amending the Constitution, but the alck of amendments could have been a symptom of politics over governance and allowed issues to fester until more serious problems erupted.

-The impeachment process should be fundamentally reworked - this is a shit process.
-Some drugs should be legalized and an amendment would rid us of the largest and most expensive incarcerated population in the world.
-When a candidate for President gets the most votes, they should be the fucking President. With all do respect to those who live inside the imaginary lines of Wyoming or New Hampshire, your political power is way out of whack.

These are just obvious ones. They are failures. Without amendments, we likely will not fix some major problems. Without fixing major problems, an eruption is coming.

I'd add voting representation in federal government for territories, as well. Reduced, perhaps, since they aren't full states, but some real voice in legislation which can actually affect them.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, for example, Toronto could ban handguns but York Region right next door, a big part of which is still rural, would be free to not do so. What exactly is solved by that lol

Also, those are big leaps from "let them have handguns for protection" to "give all farmers AR-15s".

This is kind of cherry picking isn't it? You went from saying that rural folk would be threatened by a handgun ban (that isn't coming) to people in the metro Toronto area being loopholed out of protection.

Shifting goalposts aside, I'll answer. The point is, and has always been, to make legislative efforts to minimize to amount of handguns and assault rifles in circulation. Under your scenario if York doesn't want to follow its neighbours lead, that is there prerogative. Toronto, however, has helped. They've made themselves and their neighbouring jurisdictions slightly safer by taking guns out of people's hands.

Less guns = less opportunity for gun violence. Shit ain't hard.

As for the the rural folk with handguns? Well, as noted the potential ban is municipal but even still what do they need a small gun for when most of them have (and all can get) high powered rifles, shotguns, etc.?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, and I take that into account when I vote - but I do not think there should be an age limit on running for office.

It's pretty shitty.

But then how would the prison industry's profits keep going higher? Land of the free!

I am not sure those are real places.

I'll do it.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Must have hired the same graphic design company as Kenney's war room. LMAO.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of cherry picking isn't it? You went from saying that rural folk would be threatened by a handgun ban (that isn't coming) to people in the metro Toronto area being loopholed out of protection.

Shifting goalposts aside, I'll answer. The point is, and has always been, to make legislative efforts to minimize to amount of handguns and assault rifles in circulation. Under your scenario if York doesn't want to follow its neighbours lead, that is there prerogative. Toronto, however, has helped. They've made themselves and their neighbouring jurisdictions slightly safer by taking guns out of people's hands.

Less guns = less opportunity for gun violence. Shit ain't hard.

As for the the rural folk with handguns? Well, as noted the potential ban is municipal but even still what do they need a small gun for when most of them have (and all can get) high powered rifles, shotguns, etc.?
I don’t think bringing up an example of the hollowness of a law is cherry picking or moving the goalposts when discussing the law.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone heard if there are any age limits on joining Space Force!?

Status
Not open for further replies.