• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Treff's TE rankings

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE

1. Jimmy Graham
2. Vernon Davis
3. Rob Gronkowski
4. Tony gonzalez
5. Dennis Pitta
6. Jason Witten
7. Greg Olsen
8. Kyle Rudolph
9. Brandon Pettigrew
10. Heath Miller
11. Martellus Bennett
12. Brandon Myers
13. Dustin Keller
14. Jermaine Greshem
15. Fred Davis
16. Owen Daniels
17. Jermicheal Finley
18. Mercedes Lewis
19. Scott Chandler
20. James Casey
21. Tyler Eifert
22. Jake Ballard
23. Dwayne Allen
24. Jacob Tamme
25. Anthony Fassano
26. Coby Fleener
27. Jordan Cameron
28. Ed Dickson
29. Rob Housler
30. Kellen WInslow Jr.

My entire rankings is based on the assumption that not only does Gronk miss week one, but he also misses at least a couple games further into the season due to any number of various other potential injuries. The word fragile is hard to apply to a rough and tough guy like Gronk, but in fantasy football terms, he's getting there. Therefore, my #1 spot goes to Jimmy Graham. Coming in a close second is Vernon Davis, easily the most physically gifted TE in the league, and now with Crabtree being hurt, Boldin brought in to be the chain mover, and plenty of young burners to clear out the middle, VD should be in for a huge year. I've got Gronkowski in at #3, even when he misses a handful of games, he's still a top five TE, so he's still worth the early pick. The ageless Tony Gonzalez settles in at #4. one more year of Matty Ice with Roddy and Julius should mean ample room to work the middle with Tony G. #5 is Dennis Pitta, very talented young TE who came on very strong at the end of last year, and now will be relied on even more by Flacco with no Anquan Boldin in town. The hat-less horseman, Jason Witten, enters at #6. His days of flashy big games are probably well behind him, but it's very hard to argue with his consistency when he's on the field. Greg Olsen has finally found a system that utilizes his talents. Now if only he could find a QB that more interested in winning than showing off. Hopefully Cam gets the memo that, no he is not Superman, but yes, he should kneel before Zod (BTW, if you haven't already, DO NOT go waste your money on "Man of Steel"..pathetic!!). Kyle Rudolph jumps into my #8 slot, due in large part to his settling into his role later in the season, but also due to Harvin leaving town. He may truly be the only reliable receiving threat that the Vikes have this year, although Coradelle Patterson will be there soon. Brandon Pettigrew at #9..well, talk about your big teases..this guy should have been a top five TE for about two years running now, but can't seem to ever put it all together. But, at #9, I'm banking on him being good enough to be someone's every week TE, besides, Detroit throws enough that just the law of averages says he'll get enough targets to justify this ranking. And finally, at #10, Heath Miller. nothing flashy, nothing all that special about the guy, but he's always there where Big Ben can find him, he always manages to put together multiple TD games per season, and the Steelers will be depending on him a bit more now that their receivers are a little thinner.

Please feel free to comment, I'm posting these in an attempt to generate discussion!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice list. I like VD at 2. Pitta makes me nervous for some reason.

Where is Aaron Hernandez? LOL

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether or not Gronk is healthy, I'd say you need to move Ballard up. For the first however many games Gronk misses, Ballard is a top 10 TE.

I also see Coby Fleener coming into his own this year. He is just too good to not be a top-tier TE moving forward, IMO.

I'm also on the Dustin Keller wagon this year. I can't think of a much better spot for him. Tannehill is still young, and who's a developing QB's best friend? A pass-catching TE. Don't forget, there were over 100 combined targets last year for Anthony Fasano and Charles Clay, and neither of them are even remotely on the same level as Keller.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol Tlance...dang I'm glad I didn't touch him in the suicide!

Sox..here's the deal on Ballard...even the Pat's aren't high on him, reports out of camps are pretty bleak on Ballards effort and ability..least the ones I've heard anyways. And even though I assume Gronk misses 3-4 games..even if Ballard has Gronk-esque games for those 3-4 games, he won't finish the year inside top 15 TE's..not in my opinion anyways. There's no law saying the Pays must stick with the 2 TE set...there every reason to think they move more towards the run, than to shove the ball at Ballard just to prove a point.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sox..here's the deal on Ballard...even the Pat's aren't high on him, reports out of camps are pretty bleak on Ballards effort and ability..least the ones I've heard anyways. And even though I assume Gronk misses 3-4 games..even if Ballard has Gronk-esque games for those 3-4 games, he won't finish the year inside top 15 TE's..not in my opinion anyways. There's no law saying the Pays must stick with the 2 TE set...there every reason to think they move more towards the run, than to shove the ball at Ballard just to prove a point.

I hadn't heard any new talks about Ballard this year, so that is news to me. That's surprising to me, considering that he actually did pretty decent with NYG. Given their dearth of proven pass-catchers, I assumed they would be looking his way, but that is interesting to hear. I'll keep an eye on that situation.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't heard any new talks about Ballard this year, so that is news to me. That's surprising to me, considering that he actually did pretty decent with NYG. Given their dearth of proven pass-catchers, I assumed they would be looking his way, but that is interesting to hear. I'll keep an eye on that situation.

Since I'm not a big music fan..the drive to work is nothing but ESPN radio and NFL neywork..ya hear little things..some stick with ya..like Ballard looked stiff and slow...then nothing, maybe he looked just fine the next day, but that wasn't newsworthy..lol

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I'm not a big music fan..the drive to work is nothing but ESPN radio and NFL neywork..ya hear little things..some stick with ya..like Ballard looked stiff and slow...then nothing, maybe he looked just fine the next day, but that wasn't newsworthy..lol

Ha, true. I can imagine they will be talking more about the Pats' TE situation as the summer moves along, given how much Brady has relied on the position in recent years. They could also bring in a vet like Dallas Clark or Visanthe Schiancoe.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just read that myself. I'm struggling where to put Gronk in my rankings; last I read (I was looking for the link and can't find it) Gronk was gonna miss the first 6 weeks. Right now I have him outside my top 5. I know 9-10 games with Gronk is a huge boost to any FFteam but what are you gonna do in the meantime? You will probably have to burn another 7-9th round pick in order to get a TE that will be a little better than servicable. So I am not prepared to burn a 2nd or a 3rd round pick on this guy this year. Just my 2 cents.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witten too low. Still Romo's #1 target.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher and other team members see TE Jared Cook as a completely different player than the one he coached with the Tennessee Titans. "Absolutely--night and day difference," said CB Cortland Finnegan. "I'm going to be the first to say that I was maybe like, 'Ahh ...' (when the Rams signed Cook), but when he got there, he's been tearing it up like I've never seen. He's comfortable, he's back where he wants to be and I'm excited to have him."
Analysis: Plenty of excitement surrounding Cook as he reunites with his former coach in St. Louis. We saw flashes in Tennessee, enough to make Cook a popular fantasy pick heading into this season, and just about everything coming out of Rams camp in regards to Cook has been positive; that's a welcome combination.

I think I would move Dickson off this list and put Cook on it.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this someplace else, but as Treff said there's no rule that the Pats have to run with two TEs... if you look at the Pats pre-Gronk (which is a lot of very successful years), there's not much going on at tight end. I don't think the Pats roll with a system and plug guys in; I think they build systems around their guys. Ballard won't be Gronk if Gronk is out; maybe he could be Ben Watson.

By the way, that's why I think Vereen at #35 among RBs isn't crazy. He's one of the very few guys left who actually caught a pass from Brady last season, and he's got some nice skills (and Woodhead is gone).

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher and other team members see TE Jared Cook as a completely different player than the one he coached with the Tennessee Titans. "Absolutely--night and day difference," said CB Cortland Finnegan. "I'm going to be the first to say that I was maybe like, 'Ahh ...' (when the Rams signed Cook), but when he got there, he's been tearing it up like I've never seen. He's comfortable, he's back where he wants to be and I'm excited to have him."
Analysis: Plenty of excitement surrounding Cook as he reunites with his former coach in St. Louis. We saw flashes in Tennessee, enough to make Cook a popular fantasy pick heading into this season, and just about everything coming out of Rams camp in regards to Cook has been positive; that's a welcome combination.

I think I would move Dickson off this list and put Cook on it.

Sam, I think you're dead on..I completely spaced on Cook

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam, I think you're dead on..I completely spaced on Cook
Yeah, for guys like me that usually wait on a TE, this is one guy I'll target in the middle rounds. Being the only Rams fan in my keeper league I will probably be able to wait until the 10th for this guys.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little surprised that Tony Moeaki is not on the list. He did pretty good when he was healthy. He's healthy again and with a QB that is used to have a TE as a main target.

Ram Tough

You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOOOW no Jared Cook!!? Hes in my top 10 and has a chance to breakout!!! No homer pick intended, Cook will be finally utilized for once in his career a Top 5 finish at his position would not be a surprise to me.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOOOW no Jared Cook!!? Hes in my top 10 and has a chance to breakout!!! No homer pick intended, Cook will be finally utilized for once in his career a Top 5 finish at his position would not be a surprise to me.

well I wouldn't go that far..but yes he deserves a spot, at least top 24 (two TE's a team, he'd be a great #2)...Don't quite see him getting into every week starter status..not with the depth of TE's in the league.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Jordan Cameron and Rob Housler as potential breakout guys. Not TE1's until they do something, imo though. Palmer isnt a TE-reliant QB, except for some games in OAK after all of his WRs got injured. I like Cook and Myers to be TE1 sleepers, definite top 10 potential. Eli briefly made Ballard and Bennett decent TE options, especailly if you had an injured Antonio Gates on your bench, should do the same with Myers.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Jordan Cameron and Rob Housler as potential breakout guys. Not TE1's until they do something, imo though. Palmer isnt a TE-reliant QB, except for some games in OAK after all of his WRs got injured. I like Cook and Myers to be TE1 sleepers, definite top 10 potential. Eli briefly made Ballard and Bennett decent TE options, especailly if you had an injured Antonio Gates on your bench, should do the same with Myers.

yea, that's why I made sure to include them..would love to have them as the 2nd TE in any type of league, I have a feelign they'll be in the discussion for low end (or better) TE's in 2014

Still kicking myself for not including Cook at all..