• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Coming

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and the Broncos gift shop must be run by Nordstroms. I liked a polo shirt, but not for $95.

Yeah I remember that from last year thinking we should get something to commemorate our time at camp and well everything we liked was so ridiculously priced that we walked out. My wife did buy a Broncos hat finally because it was so hot out and the sun was beaming in our face but even that I didn't dare ask how much it cost.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just wanted to put this out there @Draft Crazy your boy Addison got a little more work today in the Kick Off return duty and probably looked the most consistent and most comfortable of all the players who did this. On the same note Kalif Raymond probably looked the worst of the group. So going to be interesting to see how the coaches approach that as Raymond definitely offers the most as a WR but probably the least as a returner while Addison probably offers the least as a WR but most as a returner. Other guys getting a crack at this were Latimer who did ok and Nixon who is right there with Addison for looking good returning kick offs.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the update Carl.

I think it is going to come down to a numbers game and between Addison vs Raymond for if we can keep 1. One will for sure go to the PS.

I will say for Addison he was a terrific WR and return man at Oregon so it isn't like he can't play WR, but with his size he is probably being looked at more as a deep man and without that break away speed is probably why Raymond looks a bit better in that role at WR... I am not sure Addison is a slot guy, at Oregon he was a pretty good playmaker with the ball in his hands and going deep, but the speed of the game and the CB's are much faster then the Pac-12 he was facing. So I can understand, but at the same time I think he can become a decent WR at this level.

Not that I am wishing any bad on Raymond to help Addison, but I am very glad Addison looked good today given his shot. If Nixon and Addison/Raymond are neck and neck on KR Nixon might end up winning the roster spot as he can cover punts too and be a depth DB guy. Id love to see Nixon and Addison both make it. That is going to come down to the PS and how well they preform.

If it comes down to return skills vs WR skills then the man who does better at returning is probably going to have the upper hand given our current situation. If Addison doesnt win that job, I hope like heck we store him on the PS and I will also be happy to see Nixon get his shot as the KR.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the update Carl.

I think it is going to come down to a numbers game and between Addison vs Raymond for if we can keep 1. One will for sure go to the PS.

I will say for Addison he was a terrific WR and return man at Oregon so it isn't like he can't play WR, but with his size he is probably being looked at more as a deep man and without that break away speed is probably why Raymond looks a bit better in that role at WR... I am not sure Addison is a slot guy, at Oregon he was a pretty good playmaker with the ball in his hands and going deep, but the speed of the game and the CB's are much faster then the Pac-12 he was facing. So I can understand, but at the same time I think he can become a decent WR at this level.

Not that I am wishing any bad on Raymond to help Addison, but I am very glad Addison looked good today given his shot. If Nixon and Addison/Raymond are neck and neck on KR Nixon might end up winning the roster spot as he can cover punts too and be a depth DB guy. Id love to see Nixon and Addison both make it. That is going to come down to the PS and how well they preform.

If it comes down to return skills vs WR skills then the man who does better at returning is probably going to have the upper hand given our current situation. If Addison doesnt win that job, I hope like heck we store him on the PS and I will also be happy to see Nixon get his shot as the KR.

Preseason is going to be huge for all of these guys. Can't remember a time where I was more interested in the preseason games because so many positions are up for grabs or at least who will start and who won't...

QB--Obviously 3 guys still competing for the starting job
RB--Anderson is secured at the top but beyond him Booker and Janovich will make the team but that final spot or two are wide open.
TE--No clue who our starter will be. Green, Heuerman, and Graham have all had great days and some down days.
OL--Beyond the starting 5 no clue who else makes the team. I have my suspicions of who it will be but nothing else.
WR--Depth beyond our top-2 guys. So pretty much every position on offense has intrigue around it this year.

Defensively
DL--We have our starters but depth behind them could get interesting
Safety--Going to be interesting to see this play out of who all makes the team. Some depends on how many the coaches want to keep.

Special Teams
Punter--Maybe best battle in the preseason
Kick/Punt return duty.

Definitely a lot to watch and all 3 groups will matter.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love hearing this good stuff about Fowler

He's my favorite current Bronco - well, him and Norwood ....

We will be loaded at WR this season

You look at the Bronco Super Bowl teams from the 90s, and aside from Rod Smith and Eddie Mac, not sure if any of those other WRs even make this team ..

I love Fowler also To me he looks like Rod Smith early on.

I hope they give him a chance at punt returns

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Fowler as a PR, but I was thinking... Could this be our next Rod Smith? ;) Then I thought... Naw, don't even go there this early. He sorta reminds me of Smith's path to the NFL... PS guy, who kept growing and growing.

But if we re-sign Sanders and DT plays much better then Fowler is sorta stuck here as a #3...

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know many of you will hate this because you are so excited about Denver finding a punt returner that can take it to the house and still contribute as a wr as well. Good luck. Rather have Sanders back there fair catching everything like he did last yr and not coughing up the ball. I'll go with the odds / field position with last yrs success with Sanders. From what I've been hearing from you guys , none of the hopeful pr have showed much consistency there or at wr. Would I like to see an " Upchurch-ish " guy back there? Sure. But I see a" Holiday "back there so far with these youngsters instead. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know many of you will hate this because you are so excited about Denver finding a punt returner that can take it to the house and still contribute as a wr as well. Good luck. Rather have Sanders back there fair catching everything like he did last yr and not coughing up the ball. I'll go with the odds / field position with last yrs success with Sanders. From what I've been hearing from you guys , none of the hopeful pr have showed much consistency there or at wr. Would I like to see an " Upchurch-ish " guy back there? Sure. But I see a" Holiday "back there so far with these youngsters instead. :)

Ball security always has to be at the top of the list when it comes to KR or PR duty. So yes I agree I want a guy that can catch it. Thankfully this year it sounds like all of these guys practicing PR duties have been doing just that. I haven't heard of one dropped punt yet compared to last year where there were 2 or 3 a day. So I like this group not only for the explosive ability they add but also because they do have great ball security abilities. If they can prove that in preseason as well then to me don't risk putting Sanders back there if we don't have to.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greatest punt return in Bronco history

norwood-return-sm.w710.h473.2x.gif

( Shaq Barrett, Todd Davis and Corey Nelson all could have blocked Addison )

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greatest punt return in Bronco history

View attachment 146051

( Shaq Barrett, Todd Davis and Corey Nelson all could have blocked Addison )

You could also call this the "Luckiest" punt return in Broncos history. There seemed to be only 2 outcomes to that play of either incredible play or complete disaster that is maybe talked about as one of the biggest mistakes in Super Bowl history. I loved that it turned out so well for us but I still think that was too risky of a decision to make. When our defense was playing as great as they were the only thing that could derail us from winning that game was terrible turnovers. Manning gave enough of those away that we didn't need one more.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard of one dropped punt yet compared to last year where there were 2 or 3 a day.

Raymond has muffed a couple. But that's all I've read about. And that's good for as many punts as they practice in camp.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raymond has muffed a couple. But that's all I've read about. And that's good for as many punts as they practice in camp.

I figured there had to have been a couple but I just haven't read of them this year. Now last year it seemed like every day that was a heading of how terrible our punt return competition was going. Pretty much it was whoever could hold onto the ball that day won. Going to be interesting to see who wins that battle. Honestly if we are to continue our playoff streak it will partly rely on Special Teams being special. Very underrated part of the game. I'm a bit opposite of Randymon in I am really hoping we can find a guy we can stick back there that not only secures the ball but can have a few game changing plays where he flips field position.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could also call this the "Luckiest" punt return in Broncos history. There seemed to be only 2 outcomes to that play of either incredible play or complete disaster that is maybe talked about as one of the biggest mistakes in Super Bowl history. I loved that it turned out so well for us but I still think that was too risky of a decision to make. When our defense was playing as great as they were the only thing that could derail us from winning that game was terrible turnovers. Manning gave enough of those away that we didn't need one more.

The risk involved is what elevates this ... At this point in the game, the offense was completely flat - Norwood took a chance at a time when a spark was needed most ..

When nothing is working, some guys go into a shell, in fear of making a mistake ... Norwood did the opposite, and it turned out great ..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The risk involved is what elevates this ... At this point in the game, the offense was completely flat - Norwood took a chance at a time when a spark was needed most ..

When nothing is working, some guys go into a shell, in fear of making a mistake ... Norwood did the opposite, and it turned out great ..

Good points. Sometimes you do have to take a great risk to get the greatest of rewards. I just think there is some luck involved in those risks as the Panthers if they were aware of what was going on could have laid the hammer on Norwood leading to a huge fumble. I do appreciate how big of a play it was and you are right we needed a spark at that time but man the pessimist in me just sees all that could have gone wrong.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured there had to have been a couple but I just haven't read of them this year. Now last year it seemed like every day that was a heading of how terrible our punt return competition was going. Pretty much it was whoever could hold onto the ball that day won. Going to be interesting to see who wins that battle. Honestly if we are to continue our playoff streak it will partly rely on Special Teams being special. Very underrated part of the game. I'm a bit opposite of Randymon in I am really hoping we can find a guy we can stick back there that not only secures the ball but can have a few game changing plays where he flips field position.
I get the good stuff on the return ability but many of you have been beating the drum as to how the guy who wins that spot is also going to have to contribute as a wr or its a waste of a roster spot. In Kubiacks opinion as well. I sell right now that Sanders gets nod because non of the others proves a pr/wr roster spot.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the good stuff on the return ability but many of you have been beating the drum as to how the guy who wins that spot is also going to have to contribute as a wr or its a waste of a roster spot. In Kubiacks opinion as well. I sell right now that Sanders gets nod because non of the others proves a pr/wr roster spot.

Unproven doesn't mean that they don't have a guy like that though. We have a ton of youth at the WR position that have shown really well at camp as both a WR and Returner. Now we haven't seen it in a game so I am going to wait to pass too much judgment until we see it on the field but I'm not just going to hand it to Sanders because the other guys are so unknown. Heck when Sanders signed with us he was a huge unknown. Most of his career in Pitt was spent behind other receivers and when he did get his chance to play he was hurt quite a bit. Came to Denver and became a star thankfully but like I said unproven doesn't mean that there isn't a star in the making on this roster for the return duties. If we don't have that type of guy though then yeah give the duties to Sanders because he can at least go back and catch it.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well see. Preseason will dictate for tad,get ya all hyped and such, then ,,,' old reliable will be back there keep in things " real " for real Broncos fans. You'll see. This year is about accountability,fit,and fit some more. Evan all the starters have to push another notch to repeat. This seems quite drunken when I go over. Chances are! It be. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well see. Preseason will dictate for tad,get ya all hyped and such, then ,,,' old reliable will be back there keep in things " real " for real Broncos fans. You'll see. This year is about accountability,fit,and fit some more. Evan all the starters have to push another notch to repeat. This seems quite drunken when I go over. Chances are! It be. :)

Hmmm so hoping for something just a bit more makes me not a "real Bronco fan"? Also can't just always play it safe and expect to win. Look at Schottenheimer and his career as a head coach. He was known for being conservative and while it got him plenty of wins he couldn't win when it mattered most. We are not Super Bowl champs without some risk. Week 17 putting in a QB that hadn't played in weeks who was injured for a young QB that honestly hadn't done that bad in that game. Could have completely backfired. Then leaving that QB in for the playoffs again a huge risk. Against the Patriots expecting for us to come out conservative to protect Manning and not turn the ball over we came out throwing and scored 2 early touchdowns to then let our defense take over. Throw in we completely changed our game plan from any other week on defense. Instead of blitzing a decent number of times we actually only rushed 3 guys quite often. In fact we rushed 3 or less rushers in that game more times in one game than the rest of the season combined. Could have completely backfired. In the Super Bowl we obviously have the huge punt return that could have been disaster and that I still am not the biggest fan of today but hey that risk paid off huge for us.

So I guess what I am saying is yes if the other options are down right terrible then stick with Sanders and have him fair catch it most of the time. If there is a guy though that they feel comfortable sticking back there and can make an electrifying play now and then for us then I say stick that guy back there and let him loose. WE can just as easily win a game on a huge punt return as we can on a 60 yard bomb by one of the QB's. We need more explosive plays from special teams and our offense.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bibbs got 2nd team reps Saturday over Booker.