• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading DOWN

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like a lot of players still there:

Carl Lawson, DE Auburn
Jake Butt, TE Michigan
Brian Hill, RB Wyoming

There's more, but I have to go pick up a UHaul.

Boom! Give me some, Butt...

I know..... I know.... I just had to say it...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[Let's look at our last five, 1st round draft picks...
  1. Germain Ifedi - Jury is still out on him but most of the fans here were complaining about him all year last season To early to say except he was an immediate starter and that's what you want out of 1st round pick IMO
  2. Bruce Irvin - Solid player for the Hawks... Not a probowler... Considering they traded back for him and picked up a 4th round pick, think he turned out to be real decent and a good pick.
  3. James Carpenter - Most here deemed him a bust yet was the best OL in that years draft IMO
  4. Russell Okung - Solid player, never lived up to expectations...due to injuries, was actually a no brainer pick IMO
  5. Earl Thomas - A definite hit in the draft... One of the top players at his position in the NFL...

Point is, are they any better than our 2nd and 3rd round picks? Wagner, Chancellor, Tate, F. Clark, T. Lockett, R. Wilson, J. Britt...

We've had more success with our 2nd and 3rd round picks, which is why I have absolutely zero problem with them trading down into the 2nd, 3rd to stock pile picks... Our depth and the players that have been a huge support to our franchise players as been depleted the past few years... Last year was a great example of that... We don't need to take a flyer on a stud in the 1st round, we need to build our bench again...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it was no surprise Ifedi struggled last year. He was a HUGE project OLineman and very raw... and he missed like all of camp/OTAs and the first few games because of some leg injury... I think he might be a lot different this year if he can stay healthy and get the camp attention he needs.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing out on top talent year after year after year cannot be a long term strategy. the likelihood of lower round players panning out is not nearly as good. the fact is we missed out on some monster talent that we could have taken, and instead moved down and picked a guy with a high bust likelihood in mcdowell. if we were going to take a guy like that, should have taken foster who was a top 5 talent.

this team is surviving on 2010-2012 drafts

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it was no surprise Ifedi struggled last year. He was a HUGE project OLineman and very raw... and he missed like all of camp/OTAs and the first few games because of some leg injury... I think he might be a lot different this year if he can stay healthy and get the camp attention he needs.

I hope so... I haven't given up on the guy...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if they'll go Butts after taking a TE last year...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th round pick, DB, Tedric Thompson, COL

This guy has been a beast in the PAC 12... Ball Hawk!

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OOOH I like Tedric Thompson. Honestly would've made more sense if we took him in the 3rd round over Hill lol.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, do we have a fifth? Was watching NFL Network and one of the guys said we do... but I don't remember acquiring a pick in a trade and we had to forfeit ours due to that stupid OTA contact thing.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The self-proclaimed draft expert fans who dog the picks immediately because it's not what they wanted always crack me up. I'll take the opinion of JS/PC over these clowns every time.

I'm digging the first 3 choices. McDowell is a physical freak at that size/athlete combo. The knock on him has already been hashed over to the nth degree; he's only 20 and probably just has some growing up to do. This defense, team, and city is probably a good place for him to do that. I think we are putting together the makings of a DL to resemble what we had in 2013. MB, Avril, Reed, Clark, Marsh and now McDowell (a pass rushing 3-tech) & the other run stuffing DT pick. That's a good start, and then we have unproven Quinton Jefferson and wildcard Dion Jordan. This unit will help our secondary.

I think Pocic, after listening to PC talk about him, is going to get the first look at RG with Ifedi going out to RT. And the panic and bitchfits for not picking Cam Robinson or Lamp were hilarious. Youngest OL in the league last year, yet some people seem to think the answer to fix it is keep rebuilding it with rookies every year. At some point you gotta let your previous investments (1st on Ifedi, 2nd on Britt, 3rd on Odhiambo, 4th on Glowinski, $$ on Joeckel) settle in together and form some continuity. We'll see how Pocic does, but he's versatile and looks like a road grater.

Griffin the CB -- earliest this FO has ever taken a DB outside of ET. Good size, very fast. Looks the part for what we usually like.

It was a heart breaker seeing our UW LOB all get picked right around our spots in the 2nd round, would have been great to be able to keep rooting for any of them in Seattle.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDowell is Carlos Dunlap all over again to me. Athletic freak, motivational issues that caused him to slide... Dunlap was also a top 10 grade until some of that stuff came up and I believe Cincy took him in round 2 as well. I always wanted Seattle to draft him...

Anyway, imagine Avril, Bennett, McDowell, Clark on a 3rd and long. :D - that does sound savage...

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The self-proclaimed draft expert fans who dog the picks immediately because it's not what they wanted always crack me up. I'll take the opinion of JS/PC over these clowns every time.

Yep it cracks me up too. JS/PC have only made the playoffs 6 times in 7 years, have five consecutive season with double digits in win column, never have been one and done in the playoffs and have been to the Super Bowl a couple of times. Posters lack the understanding on just how hard it is to be competitive year after year under the present system. JS/PC have been getting it right way more often then they have been getting it wrong and that is what counts

I also like your comment of him being just 20, still a kid, you are not all grown up at that age. Not only do they have to learn how to compete at a higher level in the NFL, they have to learn how to deal with the big pay check, being a grown up and taking care of themselves. I pretty sure all of us had some good stumbles in our early years of adulthood.

Reactions: JMR

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tedric seems like a depth pick to me. Hill needs to be very situational given his pass coverage skills are terrible.. I think Pete is hoping he can work with him on that because Hill's run coverage and hitting is top notch, must like Kam.

Tedric is a much more viable option for immediate plug/play based on Thomas' recovery. He's not nearly as athletic as Thomas so the range is not going to be anything like Thomas, but his instincts are on par with Thomas. Granted Seattle will have to play Kam back a bit more, but still.

We also got McDougald from Tampa super cheap, who can fill in for anyone. Seems to me Seattle is really considering letting Kam walk next year, which is no surprise... and stocking up some depth if Thomas is not 100% ready to go.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamp was never going to be a Seahawk. He was obviously not highly rated by the FO. Same can be said about Robinson and King (see my post above). From a fan's perspective, yes, we all thought getting these highly publicized guys would be great because that is based on the info we are given. But if we had been privy to JC/PC's board it would have provided a completely different perspective.

Leading up to the draft, it's easy to get emotionally attached to certain draft picks as you start visualizing them playing on your team. Or you get obsessed about drafting at what you perceive a teams greatest need and don't really dig into the prospects real abilities or have the coaching knowledge to know if those players are actually the right fit for the team. About all the info you have is a draft grade and what the analysts are mocking.

The Seahawks are a playoff caliber team with one of the best coaching staffs and GMs the biz. It's bizarre how many Hawk fans talk as if this team was the Browns last year. Hey, remember we went to the playoffs and won a playoff game last year? And we did it while dealing with an injury apocalypse that would of turned many other teams into something resembling the Browns in performance. Goes to show how good the roster already is. And how you need to stop shitting the mattress during drafts because the Hawks didn't take enough of the players or positions your getting emotional over.

Most NFL players. Even 1st rounders take years to develop into serviceable/reliable starters.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seem to be overflowing with "safeties." Wouldn't be surprised to see the coaches take a look at 1 or 2 of them as a nickel CB.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seem to be overflowing with "safeties." Wouldn't be surprised to see the coaches take a look at 1 or 2 of them as a nickel CB.

Bingo. Pete loves to run the nickel a lot. Always important piece to our defense as well.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was ALL over Tharold Simon... completely wrong on that one. I also thought Christine Michael would be a Beast Mode replacement... woops.

As for Jesse Williams, IMO it was a GREAT pick if he could get past the health issues (guy got cancer for Christ sake). He was a top 10 talent before the injury his senior year.

Oh for sure there is nothing you can do about cancer, I was more saying how we simply don't know what will happen with any of these guys we draft. For every first round Ryan Leif bust story there seems to be another late round success story. That is why I don't get too irritated when "experts" shit on our draft picks. They don't know any more than the rest of us. Nobody has a crystal ball or they wouldn't be doing commentary for draft sites, they'd be running Superbowl dynasties if they really could see the future.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting DL the past few years, our future looks bright in the trenches... We focused on DB's this year... we'll have to look at our LB back fill the next year or so...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to homer on this but what are your thoughts on taking a flyer on WR, Gabe Marks in the 7th?