• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the trading deadline a month away (Aug. 1st, 4 pm EST), and talk about interest scattered about different threads, I thought I'd try to put a thread in dedicated to this conversation. Share your thoughts on who you want to see the Giants get and who you think will go. We could also use this thread to discuss other trades as well.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones would be great but the Sox think this is their year, and they are still close to a wild card. If they tank hard in July maybe.

Seattle and NYY are in the WC hunt too. Second wild card kills the trade deadline.
This right here is so true. I think that's why so many trades come down to the deadline. More teams begin to fade by then and become sellers.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a bull pen arm so bad. 2 would be even better

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a an idea for a bullpen pickup - Joba Chamberlain. He just got dfa'd by the Indians despite posting a 1.15 WHIP and a 2.25 ERA in 20 games. Seems worth a waiver claim if he gets that far or a B (or even a C!) level prospect in a trade.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a an idea for a bullpen pickup - Joba Chamberlain. He just got dfa'd by the Indians despite posting a 1.15 WHIP and a 2.25 ERA in 20 games. Seems worth a waiver claim if he gets that far or a B (or even a C!) level prospect in a trade.

He has really struggled since the injury that knocked him out for a couple weeks. In his last seven appearances (six since returning from DL and the game he got hurt in), he posted a 5.68 ERA in 6 1/3 innings and allowed 80% of inherited runners to score. Opponents were batting .280 off him with a .961 OPS as well. A complete 180 from his first 13 games of the season when he posted a 0.66 ERA and opponents hit just .116 off him with a .397 OPS.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has really struggled since the injury that knocked him out for a couple weeks. In his last seven appearances (six since returning from DL and the game he got hurt in), he posted a 5.68 ERA in 6 1/3 innings and allowed 80% of inherited runners to score. Opponents were batting .280 off him with a .961 OPS as well. A complete 180 from his first 13 games of the season when he posted a 0.66 ERA and opponents hit just .116 off him with a .397 OPS.
Then he'd be great to stick in Sacramento for a couple of weeks to see if he looks better.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he'd be great to stick in Sacramento for a couple of weeks to see if he looks better.

Yeah, if we get him for free. Sure, he's not making *much* (in salary) but depending on what has to be traded to get him, he could be "too expensive". I'd take a flyer on him, full salary, if no player had to be given back.

The Indians will have to pay his full salary (minus league minimum) if he is claimed off of waivers and not traded. The Giants could offer to take on his salary ($1M + up to $2M in incentives). Some random trade jock strap is fine too (as you said - "C-level prospect").

He started off the year great, sucked after he came off the DL, and hasn't had much success the last few years. He had some great seasons with the Yanks many years ago.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now that's an idea.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if we get him for free. Sure, he's not making *much* (in salary) but depending on what has to be traded to get him, he could be "too expensive". I'd take a flyer on him, full salary, if no player had to be given back.

The Indians will have to pay his full salary (minus league minimum) if he is claimed off of waivers and not traded. The Giants could offer to take on his salary ($1M + up to $2M in incentives). Some random trade jock strap is fine too (as you said - "C-level prospect").

He started off the year great, sucked after he came off the DL, and hasn't had much success the last few years. He had some great seasons with the Yanks many years ago.
I didn't pay enough attention to see that his numbers after his dl stint weren't good. I doubt the team will look into him much but figured he could potentially be a good under the radar pick up, as you say, for the right price.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be willing to put up:

1) one of .either Beede or Bickford, PLUS
2) one of either Mac or Parker, PLUS
3) a reasonable amount of cash

To get the best reliever we can.

Discuss.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be willing to put up:

1) one of .either Beede or Bickford, PLUS
2) one of either Mac or Parker, PLUS
3) a reasonable amount of cash

To get the best reliever we can.

Discuss.
Overpay, in my opinion. If we trade one of our top three and an outfield prospect for a reliever, the other team should be able to pay the salary. At the very least, no cash should exchange hands.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpay, in my opinion. If we trade one of our top three and an outfield prospect for a reliever, the other team should be able to pay the salary. At the very least, no cash should exchange hands.
Overpay, perhaps. But what I would offer here is:

1) A pitching prospect who will have no MLB impact in 2016
2) An OF prospect who will likely be relegated to the bench once Pence returns
3) Some cash if necessary which we should still have in the budget for 2016

Granted, I'm heavily weighting toward this year, but we are serious contenders, and adding a bullpen stud for assets unlikely to have much of an impact this year is a fair trade, IMHO. Gotta give to get. But I would offer that whole package for only a top-shelf reliever, maybe even a closer if we can get one. Just think of the Giant hole that would plug (capitalization pun intended).

Essentially, I want to get a great reliever for no real immediate loss.

FO, git 'er done!

Last edited:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays, I like the package, it will cost AT LEAST that to get a guy like Andrew Miller, because we won't be the only bidders. Trades for known quantities hurt.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, what you are saying is, "No, I won't spent $X million to get a lockdown top-shelf reliever", even though you would part with two top prospects. And even though we have the money and spending extra money doesn't hurt us on the field.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, what you are saying is, "No, I won't spent $X million to get a lockdown top-shelf reliever", even though you would part with two top prospects. And even though we have the money and spending extra money doesn't hurt us on the field.
I'm saying that the trade package you propose is not needed, in my opinion. Both players and money seems too steep.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying that the trade package you propose is not needed, in my opinion. Both players and money seems too steep.

Come on, man. Which relievers are you thinking you can get for just those 2 players?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, what if we offered Beede and Parker to the Yankees for Andrew Miller, and they countered by saying yes IF you toss in $4 million? Would you not add $4 million to close the deal?

Note - Miller makes $9 million for each of 2016, 2017, and 2018.