• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade for corner help

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't we. If they believe in this team they cant trot out practice squad guys. Trade away some picks for a corner. The way Mayhew picks we know those picks are worthless anyway, we are better off getting someone we know can play.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest issue would be -- how many teams would be willing to trade away a starting quality CB, when the position is one of the toughest to play in the NFL.

I'm not sure how the whole salary cap would work, but I'm not sure if the Lions would be able to trade for a starting CB, unless it involved removing a salary from their own roster. I could be dead wrong on this though.

I wish they could make a trade though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustMeIamRight said:
I think the biggest issue would be -- how many teams would be willing to trade away a starting quality CB, when the position is one of the toughest to play in the NFL.

I'm not sure how the whole salary cap would work, but I'm not sure if the Lions would be able to trade for a starting CB, unless it involved removing a salary from their own roster. I could be dead wrong on this though.

I wish they could make a trade though.
:10: :agree:

We currently have about 2.6 mil left in cap space and answering coach Ed's question of trading away next years pick(s) isn't the answer, IMHO. We need every single pick we have and then some more.

Now, looking over the scrap heap pile there is; Champ, Dimitri Patterson (missed 17 games last 2 years), Corey Webster, Quentin Jammer (some may have signed that I'm not aware of, so pardon me if I get it wrong). OR we bring Seisay from PS, who has been in camp and has some familiarity with the system OR we bring back Jonte Green or Chris Greenwood (yes I'm aware they were released for a reason but once again they have familiarity with the system.

I'm hedging on Seisay being brought up or Patterson being signed. Tuesday's are the day where tryouts are going to occur.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't underestimate a UDFA Practice Squad player as Seisay was highly regarded in pre-season. He was one of the last cuts while already having Mathis, Slay, Bentley, Lawson and Vaughn. JMO.

here's a list and you have to scroll way down to see FA

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/cornerback/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for a trade although ideally you'd have to (hope to) find a guy who is at the end of their rookie deal whose current team doesn't think they have a chance of resigning. I say this due to the Lions current cap space. Otherwise anybody else who'd be cheap enough probably isn't starting quality.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see where any team would trade away 1 of their CB's at this early point of the season when the CB position is the most often injured. If a team is willing to trade away one of their CB's, JMO, he sure as hell must not be much value to them. It seems like a highly questionable move at this early juncture of the season.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Suh for a corner.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't afford to trade Suh away right now with the cap he'd we'd absorb, I do believe.

rd27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is basically untradeable at this point. Only because of his salary and his deal only for 1 yr. So for a team to obtain his services, they'd have to not only give up picks/players, they'd have to sign/extend suh to a new deal. Nobody would do that.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If DBs keep getting hurt we will need those picks as they will be very high! Lawson looks to be out for the season and a thin secondary gets even more depleted!

I know hindsight is 20/20 but a CB as a first rounder this year would have been much needed. Looking at the roster I can't see how Mayhew went into the season with 1. so few DBs, and 2. No true quality. I like Slay but he is still an unknown and then the next best is Matthias? Great Methuselah playing CB.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as much as he keeps getting shot on Rashean Mathis has been nothing but a good CB for us.

Jacksonville obviously made a mistake cutting him, and we were lucky to land him. Not just because we're thin at the position, either- his play last year and so far this year would net him a top-3 spot on almost any team's CB chart...

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck. Trades of starting-caliber CBs are as rare as honest politicians.

Chris Harris will be a restricted free agent in the offseason. Get the first and third ready and break the bank with all the Suh money we'll have to throw around.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If DBs keep getting hurt we will need those picks as they will be very high! Lawson looks to be out for the season and a thin secondary gets even more depleted!

I know hindsight is 20/20 but a CB as a first rounder this year would have been much needed. Looking at the roster I can't see how Mayhew went into the season with 1. so few DBs, and 2. No true quality. I like Slay but he is still an unknown and then the next best is Matthias? Great Methuselah playing CB.

A first round CB would be just as unknown as Slay. I am not real big on the TE pick but i dont hate it. But it is stupid to target a position in the draft. Always target a player. If the right CB would have fallen I like to think we may have drafted him, but he didn't. or the lions may have been hoping someone would fall who didnt. We don't really know. But my point is you never target a position in the draft.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A first round CB would be just as unknown as Slay. I am not real big on the TE pick but i dont hate it. But it is stupid to target a position in the draft. Always target a player. If the right CB would have fallen I like to think we may have drafted him, but he didn't. or the lions may have been hoping someone would fall who didnt. We don't really know. But my point is you never target a position in the draft.

I differ on this point. If you are drafting in the 10-15 position you are getting a tier of guys about the same in ability. So you take the guy in the position of need IMO. If you are top 3 you take the most gifted player.

Dennard, Gilbert, Fuller are all talented guys that have a better shot of making an NFL career than say Lawson. When you shop at a bargain bin you hope to find something that works. When you buy from the top of the line you are less likely to be disappointed.

Matthias has played a lot better than I hoped for but lets not make him out to be a #1 CB. He is serviceable and looks much better when comparing him to the guys around him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting a CB highly really isn't a slam-dunk at all. There's been plenty of posts made on here that show how high the bust rate is at CB I think it's far more about the player than the position. I think if Justin Gilbert fell to #10 he would be a Lion right now, but once he was gone there were no more CBs on that high a level left to draft, imo. I think saying the top 10-15 players are all on the same tier isn't necessarily true; there's usually a handful (less than 10, more than 5) of real blue-chip prospects that are the gems of the class...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I differ on this point. If you are drafting in the 10-15 position you are getting a tier of guys about the same in ability. So you take the guy in the position of need IMO. If you are top 3 you take the most gifted player.

Dennard, Gilbert, Fuller are all talented guys that have a better shot of making an NFL career than say Lawson. When you shop at a bargain bin you hope to find something that works. When you buy from the top of the line you are less likely to be disappointed.

Matthias has played a lot better than I hoped for but lets not make him out to be a #1 CB. He is serviceable and looks much better when comparing him to the guys around him.

Its a little more probable but still not highly probable. Especially if you draft a guy that does not fit your system.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting a CB highly really isn't a slam-dunk at all.

No position is a slam dunk in the NFL draft. It doesn't matter if it is a CB, RB, QB or whatever.

The Lions are going to have to bite the bullet and invest in the CB position. Darius Slay is a nice piece, but we need another starter or two, as well as depth at the position.

We can keep playing the lottery and trying to strike gold outside the 1st two rounds, but we haven't had much luck and the more we put it off, the longer it will take whoever it is they finally draft to get acclimated to the NFL game and the older Calvin Johnson will be.

Personally -- I think if Suh walks -- it may be a blessing in disguise for the Lions. It is much easier to find a quality DT, than it is to find a quality CB. They could use the money from Suh to bring in a legitimate CB (of course, only if they agree to come here) and either draft a DT or bring another one in as a FA.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustMeIamRight said:
Personally -- I think if Suh walks -- it may be a blessing in disguise for the Lions. It is much easier to find a quality DT, than it is to find a quality CB. They could use the money from Suh to bring in a legitimate CB (of course, only if they agree to come here) and either draft a DT or bring another one in as a FA.

If Suh leaves, we're still on the hook for 9.7 mil in dead $.

Suh's cap hit in 2014 is 22,412,550.00 ........... in 2015 9,737,500.00 if he walks in dead money
CJ's.. cap hit in 2014 is 13,058,000.00 ........... in 2015 20,558,000.00

Soooooooo, you have a so-called extra 5,175,050.00 to spend with Suh gone but in Reality you don't due to significant raises in cap hits from several players ... Yes, there is speculation of a 10-12 mil rise in cap spending next year (approx. 143 mil to 145 mil) but we only have 36 players signed beyond this year that will account 121+mil against next years cap. That's 17 players with 22-24 mil to spend on those which will include 2015 draftee's. 2015 FA's; Suh, Fairley, Sims, Palmer, Hilliard, CJ Mosley, Owens, Raiola, Mathis, Muhlbach, Ogletree, K. Moore, Vaughn, G. Johnson, Quddus, Orlovsky, Collins, Ross....

6 mil will be allocated for draftee's (possibly 7 picks) of that 22-24 mil.... So how do you replace (3) DT's plus all these other players AND go get a Quality CB next yr that is a starter already.

Money will be tight due to that damn 9.7 mil dead $ from Suh and even worse if he re-signs as Lewand stated he wasn't kicking the can down the road anymore on BIG Contracts...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the player's who have significant cap raises next yr compared to this years cap hit

I rounded off most of these just to give you an idea
Staff + 1.90 mil
Tate + 2.25 mil
Tulloch + 750k
Quin + 600k
Ansah + 840k
Pettipoops + 1.60 mil
Ebron +550k
Levy +1.25 mil
J. Jones +300k
Bell +1.20 mil
Ihedigbo +850k

there's numerous others and you have to account for all these 2nd-7th round draftees and UDFA's who pretty much all receive around 90K and more for some in raises

What I was trying to get at above, is that Suh's and CJ's cap hits next yr are nearly a swap of this years cap hits but yeah if Suh Stays, that 5+ mil savings had he walked will mostly be gone.

How are you going to get a Quality #1 CB Now... just sayin' you guys put the cart before the horse quite often

Last edited by a moderator: