• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Thread

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Jeff Green as much of an upgrade at the 3. Is he even really much better than Johnson?
It will be interesting to see him get acclimated with the guys in LA. Memphis played half court offense most of the time-with inside out ball. The Clips are pretty much the opposite.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs, Orlando & Portland:
-Portland acquires another pick, by just absorbing Varaejo's contract. With this trade they finally reach up to the NBA salary cap floor. Even with his contact on the books for next year, the Blazers still have a ton of cap space.
-Cavs get another big who can stretch the floor and it cost them next to nothing.
-Orlando got rid of Frye's contract and more cap space.

I don't know how you can call that a win for Portland.

Even with the $9M they need from Varejao to get to the salary floor, they still owe him $9.3M next year and $4.5M the season after that.

That is $13.8M they just paid for what is almost certainly going to be a bottom 1st round draft pick.

That's lunacy. They just paid $13.8M for a pick that in most any year can be had for $3M (1 2nd rounder costs $1.5M....2 2nd rounders = 1st rounder as there is always a team trying to trade out of the late 1st for 2nd rounders so that they don't need to guarantee salary).

All they did was help Cleveland. It's why the NBA needs to look at this trade closely. Because the only way this trade makes any sense from Portland's perspective is if something under the table is happening.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how you can call that a win for Portland.

Even with the $9M they need from Varejao to get to the salary floor, they still owe him $9.3M next year and $4.5M the season after that.

That is $13.8M they just paid for what is almost certainly going to be a bottom 1st round draft pick.

That's lunacy. They just paid $13.8M for a pick that in most any year can be had for $3M (1 2nd rounder costs $1.5M....2 2nd rounders = 1st rounder as there is always a team trying to trade out of the late 1st for 2nd rounders so that they don't need to guarantee salary).

All they did was help Cleveland. It's why the NBA needs to look at this trade closely. Because the only way this trade makes any sense from Portland's perspective is if something under the table is happening.

The Blazers basically were obligated to pay that amount either way, but what they did was essentially acquire draft picks for a negligible financial amount.

Here is an except from SB Nation regarding the trade and why it works for the Blazers:

"Prior to these moves, the Blazers sat roughly $14 million below the NBA's minimum salary cap threshold, defined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players. Had the Blazers not made these deals, they'd be required to cut a check to their current players for that amount at the end of the season, to be distributed among the roster.

With these moves, the Blazers all but eliminate that obligation. After the trades are finalized, the cap obligations of Varejao ($9.6 million plus a trade kicker) and Roberts ($2.8 million) will bring the Blazers close to the cap threshold. The amount they owe to their current roster will be negligible.

But here's the real twist. Because they're picking up both players midway through the season, the Blazers only pay them for the amount of time served in a Portland uniform. The number on the cap books says $13-million-ish combined, but the Blazers will only end up paying around $4 million in real salary to Varejao and Roberts.

Varejao has partially-guaranteed years remaining on his contract. When they waive him, the Blazers will use the salary cap stretch provision to spread their payments on that remaining amount over 5 years, resulting in an obligation of $2 million per year...$10 million total. Added to the $4 million they owe this year, that makes $14 million.

Key Point: The Blazers would have paid $14 million at the end of the year had they made no moves today. The Blazers pay the same $14 million (spread out over a number of years) with the moves they made. The financials are essentially a wash, give or take a million."

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he is.

That position has been atrocious all year.

I guess we'll see. I mean he has a worse 3P% than Johnson and doesn't play as good of defense, not that Johnson excels at both either.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wmZeK_zl_reasonably_small.png
Synergy Sports Tech– ‏@SynergySST
Channing Frye is shooting 51% on unguarded catch and shoot jumpers and 50% on pick & pops in the half court the majority of which are 3s.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-19_21-45-22.gif
    upload_2016-2-19_21-45-22.gif
    52 bytes · Views: 16

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll see. I mean he has a worse 3P% than Johnson and doesn't play as good of defense, not that Johnson excels at both either.

Wesley doesn't at a she lot.

But, I get your point.

When he is on the floor, he has preformed well.

The problem is, you can't play him against any 1st string sf.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Varejao has some pretty good odds for getting a ring this season.

I know the warriors have some depth problems in the frontcourt, but I'm a bit skeptical that this will have much of an impact.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Varejao has some pretty good odds for getting a ring this season.

I know the warriors have some depth problems in the frontcourt, but I'm a bit skeptical that this will have much of an impact.

Yeah he didn't play much minutes with the Cavs and wasn't doing much. The defense will always be there but is also slowing declining. I wish the best for him.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Varejao could have an immediate impact on the team with injuries to Bogut and Ezeli, but down the stretch I highly doubt he gets in many games. In the playoffs I would consider him to be a non-factor. He provides additional depth and is game tested over a guy like McAdoo. Jason Thompson was doing nothing for this team, and Andy is an upgrade. Either way he's really going to be the 6th big off the bench at best, with Barnes getting minutes at the 4.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Varejao could have an immediate impact on the team with injuries to Bogut and Ezeli, but down the stretch I highly doubt he gets in many games. In the playoffs I would consider him to be a non-factor. He provides additional depth and is game tested over a guy like McAdoo. Jason Thompson was doing nothing for this team, and Andy is an upgrade. Either way he's really going to be the 6th big off the bench at best, with Barnes getting minutes at the 4.

Yeah, definitely not a bad move for the Warriors since it was for the minimum and Jason Thompson has been so awful. No real downside.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, definitely not a bad move for the Warriors since it was for the minimum and Jason Thompson has been so awful. No real downside.

Yeah definitely. At worst it's a lateral move. Best case, he's additional insurance as a reliable big. If he was 5 years younger, he would be absolutely perfect for our system given his skill set. With his decline and his injuries slowing him, he's just another body at this point.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Varejo's Achilles injury he was having an All Star type of season and was in the discussion. He has made a full recovery and saved two games the Cavs were behind. In one game in seven minutes he had four points, four rebounds, and played stellar defense. He was the Cavs best on the ball defender. Mosgov is a zone defender. Varejo also has a high basketball IQ as well as good hands and a good passer. Golden State got a gem. I would have kept him and gotten rid of the other center. Golden State is in for a great surprise and Bogut may lose his starting job.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Varejo's Achilles injury he was having an All Star type of season and was in the discussion. He has made a full recovery and saved two games the Cavs were behind. In one game in seven minutes he had four points, four rebounds, and played stellar defense. He was the Cavs best on the ball defender. Mosgov is a zone defender. Varejo also has a high basketball IQ as well as good hands and a good passer. Golden State got a gem. I would have kept him and gotten rid of the other center. Golden State is in for a great surprise and Bogut may lose his starting job.

:crazy:

His best days are clearly behind him. There's no way he's challenging Bogut for his starting job. You know this isn't 2012 right?