• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline rumor/wishlist thread - 2015

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heston as our #5???

I should have stopped reading at that point. But I didn't...

The ink on the Porcello deal is not dry yet. They signed that thing less than 4 months ago. They are not going to "give him away and pay a lot of his salary too". He is an innings eater, and those are valuable, almost at any cost. He ain't going anywhere.

But, Heston as our #5? Really? :L

Yes, really. And Porcello is basically out the door already. They hate him here in MA, where I live and hear all the grumblings of fans. The Red Sox are trying to trade him, Pablo, and HanRam. They just signed all of them. Heston is a rookie and he is a good number 5. Cain and Peavy are better for now. And I am only talking about for this season and this post season.

You also have to understand the mindset here in MA. Red Sox > any other thing in MA. They have the 3rd highest payroll and one of the worst records. They will eat money to get rid of players right now. They have a ton of talent in the minors to bring up in the next 2 season. They are willing to eat money to get rid of players they don't want. They do it all the time. They also believe that there are people who can't handle the media and pressure here and if they can't it is better to get rid of them earlier than later.

An example of that is On December 17, they signed Rentería to a four-year, forty million dollar contract with an option for 2009. They felt he could not handle the pressure of playing in Boston and he was playing poorly so they traded him for a prospect after only a year. They ended up eating a ton of money on that deal. But once they felt he couldn't handle the pressure he was a goner. They did the same for Crawford and AGon when they traded them to the Dodgers.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, really. And Porcello is basically out the door already. They hate him here in MA, where I live and hear all the grumblings of fans. The Red Sox are trying to trade him, Pablo, and HanRam. They just signed all of them. Heston is a rookie and he is a good number 5. Cain and Peavy are better for now. And I am only talking about for this season and this post season.

You also have to understand the mindset here in MA. Red Sox > any other thing in MA. They have the 3rd highest payroll and one of the worst records. They will eat money to get rid of players right now. They have a ton of talent in the minors to bring up in the next 2 season. They are willing to eat money to get rid of players they don't want. They do it all the time. They also believe that there are people who can't handle the media and pressure here and if they can't it is better to get rid of them earlier than later.

An example of that is On December 17, they signed Rentería to a four-year, forty million dollar contract with an option for 2009. They felt he could not handle the pressure of playing in Boston and he was playing poorly so they traded him for a prospect after only a year. They ended up eating a ton of money on that deal. But once they felt he couldn't handle the pressure he was a goner. They did the same for Crawford and AGon when they traded them to the Dodgers.

I hope you don't want Porcello on the Giants. He's owed $83 million for 2016-2019, and he has really only had one decent season in his career, in 2012. His season ERA has only been under 4.00 twice. He is young (26+), but way, way, way too expensive for his skill set.

The Boston media and fans can be brutal. Why Pablo ever thought he could make it a go there is beyond me. He was adored here in the Bay Area. Even when he wasn't hitting, he was not about to be thrown to the wolves.

Where will he wind up? He has DH written all over him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you don't want Porcello on the Giants. He's owed $83 million for 2016-2019, and he has really only had one decent season in his career, in 2012. His season ERA has only been under 4.00 twice. He is young (26+), but way, way, way too expensive for his skill set.

The Boston media and fans can be brutal. Why Pablo ever thought he could make it a go there is beyond me. He was adored here in the Bay Area. Even when he wasn't hitting, he was not about to be thrown to the wolves.

He will have to go to a tiny-market team. Minnesota, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Miami, Tampa, San Diego...

His days of going to the WS, though, I suspect, are over. He is not good enough to be a starter on a championship team. He is not stable enough to play on a team with a big enough budget.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Porcello has "league average" written all over him. Career ERA+ of 94 with about 1200 innings pitched. Average WAR of under 2.0 -- fringe starter numbers. He should be getting no more than $10MM a year and his contract is twice that. Teams that pay that kind of money to that kind of talent don't tend to do well -- even with huge payroll.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latos to the dogs as well.

This one makes makes so much sense, cosmically, that I am beginning to rethink my belief in a higher being. There must be a greater plan if Latos ends up wearing the blue.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news here is that if LA got Latos, they may be less interested in Shields, Price, or Hamels.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latos to the dogs as well.

This one makes makes so much sense, cosmically, that I am beginning to rethink my belief in a higher being. There must be a greater plan if Latos ends up wearing the blue.

This. So much this. I liken it to when the wayduhs moved to LA. Perfect fit.

One T as a doyer. PERFECT. And the cost is they picked up a DH for their interleague games.

Stupid doyers....lol.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. So much this. I liken it to when the wayduhs moved to LA. Perfect fit.

One T as a doyer. PERFECT. And the cost is they picked up a DH for their interleague games.

Stupid doyers....lol.

I understand Latos, but Beast? Where will he play? The OF is crowded, and will get more so when Crawford comes back. You can't move AGon from 1st. Guess he is a bench guy only. He deserves better than to wear Doyer blue.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand Latos, but Beast? Where will he play? The OF is crowded, and will get more so when Crawford comes back. You can't move AGon from 1st. Guess he is a bench guy only. He deserves better than to wear Doyer blue.
I would not be surprised if they try to move Morse. He does not fit anything that they need.

Or...

Maybe his presence makes it easier to move another OF piece (Puig??)

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On ESPN Insider, Giants listed as fifth team likely to land Hamels. I don't get the Susac comment. I thought the long-term goal would be to move Posey to 1st base.

5. San Francisco Giants
half-game behind in NL West
Hamels for ... RHP Tyler Beede, RHP Kyle Crick and C
Andrew Susac
The Giants appear to be all-in on Hamels. To land him, however, they will have to empty the farm system and overpay, which rookie GM Bobby Evans might be willing to do. The package would start with their best pitching prospect and former first-round pick Beede, who is the real thing and just a couple of years away from the majors. Susac would be the second player in the deal and should solve the catching issue for the Phillies for years to come. He's blocked in San Francisco behind Buster Posey so it's only a matter of time before he's dealt, anyway. Finally, Crick would be the third player in the deal. Crick has great stuff, but just hasn't yet figured out a consistent delivery and release point. That has led to inconsistent his command. He looks more like a reliever, but paired with the right pitching coach, he could have good potential.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am uneasy trading Beede, but for a young-ish stud SP under control for multiple years, it might make sense to bight the bullet.

As much as SOME of us love Susac, his primary value to us is as a trade-chip. The FO should not ignore his true value and quickly dispose of him just because he does not have a clear starting role on this team (I do not believe that they are doing this, btw).

At this point, if Crick can be the final piece to get us a major asset, I am OK with parting with him at this point.

High price to pay. Maybe too high. But I think I could stomach that package.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am uneasy trading Beede, but for a young-ish stud SP under control for multiple years, it might make sense to bight the bullet.

As much as SOME of us love Susac, his primary value to us is as a trade-chip. The FO should not ignore his true value and quickly dispose of him just because he does not have a clear starting role on this team (I do not believe that they are doing this, btw).

At this point, if Crick can be the final piece to get us a major asset, I am OK with parting with him at this point.

High price to pay. Maybe too high. But I think I could stomach that package.

IMO, the Sac is already a top 10 offensive catcher in the league, and might be top 5. After Posey, Martin, and Vogt, who is clearly better? Maybe McCann, but after that there is Molina (average now) and a wasteland of below average hitters. If Sac got the number of starts Vogt or Martin got, he'd put up similar numbers.

He is really that good; we tend to forget that because he's behind a future HOF player and the rest of the league at that position is sooooo bad.