• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 3 Cy Young Canidates this year as of now

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also the league leading WHIP, BAA, OPS against, OBP against, 2nd in K/BB ratio... so no it's not just the record. His ERA has been trending downward too. He's .45 off of King Felix's lead. If he cuts that lead to inside .3 and maintains his other stats, it's his to lose imo. I think it's a toss up today.

Even though I think darvish has the better stuff out of those other 2 it's gonna be a close battle to the end. Felix won the award with his 13-12 record so record isn't everything

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I think darvish has the better stuff out of those other 2 it's gonna be a close battle to the end. Felix won the award with his 13-12 record so record isn't everything
Stuff isn't what matters. It's the performance that matters.

And in 2010, Felix was far and away the best candidate. No one was even close to him. That's why his record didn't matter. This year, it's much closer (as of now), so the voters are unfortunately going to weigh record a lot heavier than they have been in recent years, instead of looking at secondary elements, such as defense or schedule strength.

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it matter whether or not Scherzer is a prick? And how do you know?

That's baseball lingo, ya jackwagon!! Schrrzer is a nasty piece of shit that you want everyone to steer clear of. He's just mean, bro.. I don't care if he wins the CY or not, just leave that sucker alone!!!

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's baseball lingo, ya jackwagon!! Schrrzer is a nasty piece of shit that you want everyone to steer clear of. He's just mean, bro.. I don't care if he wins the CY or not, just leave that sucker alone!!!
That's baseball lingo? Learn something new every day, I guess.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff isn't what matters. It's the performance that matters.

And in 2010, Felix was far and away the best candidate. No one was even close to him. That's why his record didn't matter. This year, it's much closer (as of now), so the voters are unfortunately going to weigh record a lot heavier than they have been in recent years, instead of looking at secondary elements, such as defense or schedule strength.

So you're saying they are only looking at win-loss record nothing else?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying they are only looking at win-loss record nothing else?
No, I'm saying because the pitchers are close in their overall numbers, they're going to go to W-L record more quickly than they should. W-L should be an absolute last resort when comparing two or more pitchers. With a lot of CYA voters, it's still #1, but for the majority, it's become a secondary stat, thankfully. But it shouldn't even be secondary, it should be tertiary, if used at all.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really like Darvish, but if the Cy Young Award was given out now -- it wouldn't even be close. Outside of strike outs, where Scherzer is #2 and a 0.11 lead in ERA -- Scherzer is better in every category.

On top of that -- Scherzer is the ace right now on the team with the top record in the AL.

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's baseball lingo? Learn something new every day, I guess.

Yeah, you just learnrd something, and I'll teach you another thing or 2 as time goes on. Bet on it, bro!!

Know something though?? As much as I hate fighting with you, your resiliency is to be respected. Just sayin

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Darvish, but if the Cy Young Award was given out now -- it wouldn't even be close. Outside of strike outs, where Scherzer is #2 and a 0.11 lead in ERA -- Scherzer is better in every category.

On top of that -- Scherzer is the ace right now on the team with the top record in the AL.

Darvish has a better ERA. If you take win-loss record out its pretty damn close

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish has a better ERA. If you take win-loss record out its pretty damn close

Max Scherzer leads the AL in Wins (17), WHIP (0.90), BAA (.192), OBP (.240), OPS (.562). He is #2 in AL in strikeouts (175), Slug% (.312) and K/BB ratio (5.0-1).

He is 5th in IP, but the guys in front of him have 24 starts and Scherzer has 23. If he goes 7 innings in his next start -- he will lead the league in Innings Pitched.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still early though and there BAA is pretty much the same.

Scherzer & Felix ? Max has a huge lead over Felix in BAA, SLG, OBP, and OPS against. If you're talking about Darvish, yeah BAA is identical and Max has a pretty good lead in the others. Darvish does have the best stuff and yeah he's in the conversation. Max's problem has always been the one bad inning. He'd be unhittable for 4 then give up 4 runs and then shut them down for another 2. His command has improved tremendously the past 2 years and especially this year. But he still has a little bit of that "one bad inning" in him. 5 base runners & 3 earned runs over 7 is not an unusual line for him.

Lord Scalious

Shut up World
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer & Felix ? Max has a huge lead over Felix in BAA, SLG, OBP, and OPS against. If you're talking about Darvish, yeah BAA is identical and Max has a pretty good lead in the others. Darvish does have the best stuff and yeah he's in the conversation. Max's problem has always been the one bad inning. He'd be unhittable for 4 then give up 4 runs and then shut them down for another 2. His command has improved tremendously the past 2 years and especially this year. But he still has a little bit of that "one bad inning" in him. 5 base runners & 3 earned runs over 7 is not an unusual line for him.

Max Scherzer leads the AL in Wins (17), WHIP (0.90), BAA (.192), OBP (.240), OPS (.562). He is #2 in AL in strikeouts (175), Slug% (.312) and K/BB ratio (5.0-1).

He is 5th in IP, but the guys in front of him have 24 starts and Scherzer has 23. If he goes 7 innings in his next start -- he will lead the league in Innings Pitched.

That's nice and all. But Preventing runs the main job of the pitcher.

Felix leads Scherzer in ERA, ERA+ and IP right now. Bottom line. End of story.

As far as "luck" Scherzers .248 BABIP screams a lot more luck than Felix's .312 BABIP

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting points. Right now anyway you put them they are all top 3 in the cy young discussion. Will be fun to see who wins it!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand what you are saying, but IP is only because Scherzer has one less start, as he was pushed back after the break, because he started the AS game by Leyland.

The one spot Felix holds a lead on Scherzer is ERA and I agree it is a very important stat. Scherzer dominates Felix in so many other categories though. To put it in perspective -- Scherzer would have to give up 42 hits or walks in his next start to get his WHIP to Felix's.

The rest of peripherals are not even remotely close between Scherzer and Felix:

OPP BA -- Scherzer .192 Felix .244
OPP OBP -- Scherzer .240 Felix .280
OPP Slg % -- Scherzer .322 Felix .360
OPP OPS -- Scherzer .562 Felix .641

This is with Scherzer having an infield defense behind him that probably has the least amount of range of any team in recent history.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Harvey...... So the Mets could have repeat CY Young award winners.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm saying because the pitchers are close in their overall numbers, they're going to go to W-L record more quickly than they should. W-L should be an absolute last resort when comparing two or more pitchers. With a lot of CYA voters, it's still #1, but for the majority, it's become a secondary stat, thankfully. But it shouldn't even be secondary, it should be tertiary, if used at all.

Depends I think last year Dickey having such a good win loss record on such a terrible team actually helped him out to win the award. Along with the lowest ERA in the league.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as "luck" Scherzers .248 BABIP screams a lot more luck than Felix's .312 BABIP

Felix has more IP only because he started their 1st game and Max didn't pitch until the Tiger's 5th. Their IP per game are virtually identical. ERA doesn't tell the whole story either. Until Peralta was suspended the Tigers had statues playing every infield position and their OF is average. But I'll pass it along that ERA is the "Bottom line. End of story."

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davish and Kershaw...not close

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw sure, but the only thing Darvish has over everyone else is Ks. He's in the conversation but it's definitely close.

Lord Scalious

Shut up World
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felix has more IP only because he started their 1st game and Max didn't pitch until the Tiger's 5th. Their IP per game are virtually identical. ERA doesn't tell the whole story either. Until Peralta was suspended the Tigers had statues playing every infield position and their OF is average. But I'll pass it along that ERA is the "Bottom line. End of story."

Sale will not get the Votes because of the losing record. But interesting to note.

He has more one IP than Scherzer despite one less start and 12 More Innings than Darvish with the same amount of starts. About the same ERA+ as Darvish. Better than Scherzers.

It was interesting looking at a Fangraphs article about Win Probability. Noting that there is a consistent Large spike in win probabilty when a pitcher goes from 8 to 9 innings, Regardless of the runs given up. Bigger than going from 7 to 8.

Sale had Three-9 inning games and four 8-inning games.

Scherzer has no 9 inning games and Six 8-inning games.

Darvish's Best was 8.2 IP..and only 2 other games he went 8 IP.