• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Running Backs

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but on avg, Bettis impacted the games he played in, FAR more than Watters did in his. The Steelers had shit for qb's for the better part of the 1990's, Bettis was their bread and butter for grinding out wins, once they had the lead in a game, and he served that role in a big way, for quite a few years, into the 2000's. In fact, until I read this thread, I'd actually forgotten about Ricky Watters. Sorry, doesnt pass the smell test for me, we'll have to agree to disagree

Certainly.

Again, not saying Bettis wasn't a very good player - he was. But he was not top 10, however. Watters had more impact on games, the stats and my own eye balls tell me this.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The f*ck is Eddie George doing in a top ten NFL list?

Hahaha. Only since 1990. After careful consideration, George has been bumped from my top 10 (since 1990) in favor of Ricky Watters.

The argument could be made that Bettis should be in front of George as well.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha. Only since 1990. After careful consideration, George has been bumped from my top 10 (since 1990) in favor of Ricky Watters.

The argument could be made that Bettis should be in front of George as well.
Hell, I can come up with a few more since the 90s that are more deserving than a volume runner like George. Yes, Bus and Watters, but what about Corey Dillon, Priest Holmes, Portis, and Fred Taylor? Damn, I think Marshawn had more of an impact in the NFL too, but not in the top 10.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I can come up with a few more since the 90s that are more deserving than a volume runner like George. Yes, Bus and Watters, but what about Corey Dillon, Priest Holmes, Portis, and Fred Taylor? Damn, I think Marshawn had more of an impact in the NFL too, but not in the top 10.

A fair point.

I considered all those guys. And after reconsidering you're probably right about a few of those guys. I was always a big Eddie George fan so I may have been a little biased there.

Eddie George's production is on par with, and in some cases better than all those guys. They were all more efficient, though. George was a better pass catcher than some of those guys. George was the ultimate workhorse.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly came up with those off the top of my head. Just in recent years. But if you want, I can keep going. I don't measure these guys against each other (all time stats) but what I compare is their impact in the game itself, if they were missed when not on the field. George to me was never a great back, just an average one that hung around by name recognition. I mean, guys like Ricky Williams, Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis and Terrell Davis are a few more that left more of an impression on the NFL game. George was a healthier Deuce McAllister, a poor man's Shaun Alexander or an overused Michael Turner (if Turner didn't sit behind LT for 4 years). Guys you've heard of, but forget about when these discussions come up.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see both arguments. People here in Nashville always griped about his Yards/ carry. The one thing he did though was answer the bell week in and week out. Use to love watching the old divisional games between the Titans/ Ravens/ Steelers

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the top 8 are for sure. The last 2 could go a lot of ways

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly came up with those off the top of my head. Just in recent years. But if you want, I can keep going. I don't measure these guys against each other (all time stats) but what I compare is their impact in the game itself, if they were missed when not on the field. George to me was never a great back, just an average one that hung around by name recognition. I mean, guys like Ricky Williams, Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis and Terrell Davis are a few more that left more of an impression on the NFL game. George was a healthier Deuce McAllister, a poor man's Shaun Alexander or an overused Michael Turner (if Turner didn't sit behind LT for 4 years). Guys you've heard of, but forget about when these discussions come up.

I considered most of those mentioned. One of my criteria was durability/longevity, so career accomplishments mean something to me. A lot of those guys you mentioned don't stack up over the totality of their careers. If we want to include guys who had a few good seasons here and there then the list could get to be very long. I looked for guys who were consistently good over several years with large impacts on their teams. Most of those guys on my list played for winning teams and were major reasons why those teams won - and just about all those guys did it for several seasons.

The bottom of my list is certainly up for debate but I feel pretty good about it all the way through #8.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bakers dozen

In no particular order
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Tony Dorsett
John Riggins
Eric Dickerson
Emmitt Smith
Adrian Peterson
Gayle Sayers
Earl Campbell
OJ Simpson
LaDainian Tomlinson
Barry Sanders
Thurman Thomas

Pick any one and you got a start to a helluva team

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bakers dozen

In no particular order
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Tony Dorsett
John Riggins
Eric Dickerson
Emmitt Smith
Adrian Peterson
Gayle Sayers
Earl Campbell
OJ Simpson
LaDainian Tomlinson
Barry Sanders
Thurman Thomas

Pick any one and you got a start to a helluva team

Great list! Certainly hard to argue with that one. I didn't get to watch 8 of those guys, but I have watched plenty of highlights and classic games featuring them - great players all.

I guess my only question for this list is, why no Marshall Faulk? Not a fan? Can't speak to some of the other guys on the list, but I feel pretty comfortable saying he was better than Thurman Thomas and at the very least on a par with Tomlinson. I'd take Faulk over Peterson as well. Faulk is the most versatile RB I have ever seen - could have been a Pro-Bowler at RB or WR.

Still, great list.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamal Lewis...good call

very subjective topic...not any horrible suggestions.

Jamal Lewis was a lot of fun to watch. I watched him most every week he played here in Baltimoe. What a talent! Too bad the guy had to get caught up in a drug conspiracy and serve jail time - that really derailed his career IMO. Not very versatile, wasn't much in the passing game, but give that man the ball and get out of the way - big man with big time speed.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great list! Certainly hard to argue with that one. I didn't get to watch 8 of those guys, but I have watched plenty of highlights and classic games featuring them - great players all.

I guess my only question for this list is, why no Marshall Faulk? Not a fan? Can't speak to some of the other guys on the list, but I feel pretty comfortable saying he was better than Thurman Thomas and at the very least on a par with Tomlinson. I'd take Faulk over Peterson as well. Faulk is the most versatile RB I have ever seen - could have been a Pro-Bowler at RB or WR.

Still, great list.
Faulk was a great player but his "Tom Jackson" like hate for the Cowboys sours my view on him hell even Riggins
Would admit the Cowboys hade great teams Faulk just won't admit it maybe he was jealous of emmitt who knows So he gets dishonorable mention :D

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith
Sanders
AP
LT
Thomas
Martin
Faulk

Anything after that is a flip of a coin IMO.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt jones killed it today

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know his career was cut way short, but where would you put Bo Jackson? If not for leaving the game way too soon, he could have been the best ever by a long margin IMO.

The only reason I bring him up is because I saw Gale Sayers on someones list.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know his career was cut way short, but where would you put Bo Jackson? If not for leaving the game way too soon, he could have been the best ever by a long margin IMO.

The only reason I bring him up is because I saw Gale Sayers on someones list.
Bo could have been a all time great if he only played football
That hip flexor was really sad but hey Billy Sims might have been a top 10 with today's medicine if he got injured today
All subjective