• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 QBs in the NFL, today

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no Jimmy last year, the Niners wound up with the the number 2 pick. Jimmy is worth at least 10 wins above a replacement level player!
The 49ers defensive DVOA went from 23rd to 2nd in defensive DVOA...

10 wins my ass. I don't think Jackson or Mahomes are worth 8 wins over a replacement QB.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no Jimmy last year, the Niners wound up with the the number 2 pick. Jimmy is worth at least 10 wins above a replacement level player!

I wouldn't go that far, because the defense has a lot to do with it, but there is no question that the guy is a winner. Walks onto a 1-10 team, takes over and they go 6-10. Last year was doomed the second he dropped for the season (but was actually worth it due to getting Bosa). Now people want to say it's everything but the QB. Sorry...but there have been several examples now where the defense and running game have failed, the injuries have piled up, and he's been asked to 'carry' the team.

There are just too many 4Q GW drives, 3rd down conversions and clutch moments that prove the general narrative is nonsense.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I have no problem giving Jimmy G credit for doing some good things. However, we will wait and see how it all ends up. As was said, he has still not played 2 seasons of actual football. I think we are far too quick to anoint these guys before they really face all the tests and pass them. About 14 months ago, everybody was on the Jared Goff hype train. Tgat guy also has the ability to make all the throws, etc and still looks good at times under McVay but yet look at the situation now. The kid is turning into Jameis Winston at times. I'm not bashing these kids either. They all could be solid players for a long time. It's just a matter of pumping the brakes a little. Garrapolo is going into his first play-off trial by fire. Let's se how he handles it and if he can continue next year and beyond. Let's not forget all the QBs who came before that shone bright but then fizzled out.
As fir the OPs top 10 and the others posted, I have no issue with any of them. Maybe with a little thought and effort, I could come up with sone rebuttal list for you but frankly, I'm too tired and just don't give enough of a shit to do it. Frankly, I see it as an exercise in futility. You put 90 % of these guys in another ones offense or situation, you get very similar results. Virtually every guy between 5 and 20. Just my opinion, mind you as there is no way of knowing but coaching matters.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy's a gun slinger.

Not sure if your serious or making a joke. 248 yards on 27 attempts this week. last week 200 yards on 34 attempts. Here what NFL.com had to say about his game last week:

In an alarming home loss for San Francisco, Jimmy G failed to exploit Atlanta's leaky pass defense. As my QB-watching colleague Dan Parr detailed last week in this space, Garoppolo is a spectacularly efficient downfield thrower who's strangely apprehensive to throw downfield. Against Atlanta, he didn't attempt a single deep shot, failing to register a throw of 20-plus yards for the first time this season. His work at intermediate range -- 1 of 6 for 20 yards, per Next Gen Stats -- was seriously lacking, as well. Basically, the Niners' entire passing "attack" consisted of peppering George Kittle underneath and hoping the tight end would do superhuman things. While Kittle gave a valiant effort, converting 17 targets into 13 catches for 134 yards, this is no way to win the air battle in today's NFL. A suspect secondary must be stretched and severed, not conservatively nibbled at.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers defensive DVOA went from 23rd to 2nd in defensive DVOA...

10 wins my ass. I don't think Jackson or Mahomes are worth 8 wins over a replacement QB.
There is no QB in the game worth 10 wins all by himself. It's idiotic to say otherwise. Actually, the most I would go is maybe 5-6 at best.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd disagree in that these über MVP seasons from Jackson this year and Mahomes last year are closer to 8.
Except that the Chiefs were a 10 win team with Alex Smith at the helm, Moose. Don't get me wrong here, Mahomes and Jackson have been phenominal. It's just that I don't see that widespread of a margin. Granted, in Jackson's case, if you wanted to bring up Flacco as the alternative, that is different. But still, I could see the Ravens possibly winning 7-9 games even then or even with RG3.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that the Chiefs were a 10 win team with Alex Smith at the helm, Moose. Don't get me wrong here, Mahomes and Jackson have been phenominal. It's just that I don't see that widespread of a margin. Granted, in Jackson's case, if you wanted to bring up Flacco as the alternative, that is different. But still, I could see the Ravens possibly winning 7-9 games even then or even with RG3.
The Chiefs had an elite offense around Mahomes and an elite ST's unit. Yeah, they might go 6-10

That wasn't a replacement value team, nor was Smith a replacement value QB, most definitely not in 2017.

Mahomes made a good team great.

I don't think I am backing off of 8 wins here. The Chiefs with a bad QB are basically the Bucs prior to this year under Jameis.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in any order:
Mahomes
Jackson
Brees
Wilson
Rodgers
Brady
Prescott
Ryan
Watson
Garapolo

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My list of of top 10 QBs. I am using the standard of "I could pick any QB in the league to start the season who would I go with".

1. Mahomes - Truly special player.
2. Wilson - Hitting his st ride at age 30.
3. Drew Brees - Starting to show his age but he is still a great QB.
4. Aaron Rodgers - Not what he was 3 or 4 years ago but still very very good
5. Lamar Jackson - Incredible athlete. His style of play is unsustainable though.
6. Deshaun Watson - Needs a bit more consistency but elite when he is on.
7 Tom Brady - Definitely coming to the end of a GOAT career but still a great player to have behind center
8 Dak Prescott - His numbers are better than his overall play but he is still pretty damn good.
9 Kirk Cousins - See Dak Prescott
10 Matt Ryan - He can still sling it.