• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Favorite Comedy Movies of All Time

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quotable =/= good.

Anchorman is highly quotable as well, didn't make my list. Holy Grail just isn't that funny to me. It has some funny moments, but I never busted a gut over it. I can see the jokes, but it feels juvenile at best with not much depth and based around silliness and zingers with situational light touches on politics, history, and philosophy.

I would also challenge the notion that the writing in Naked Gun is inferior to Holy Grail, but I feel like we would simply be traveling down a rabbit hole that would not change the opinion for either of us lol. Naked Gun being better than Holy Grail is a hill I will die on lol... plus, Leslie Nielsen is a national treasure.

Long live Naked Gun.
Holy fuck, who died and made you the arbiter of what's funny or not? Can the rest of us participate in this thread, or would you like to be left alone?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quotable =/= good.
This is actually the hard part I have with this debate.

Like I could quote every scene in Orgazmo. Is it a good movie? I left it off my list but I've probably seen in ten times. I know Zoolander isn't very popular but I do love quotable, stupid movies. Idiocracy is probably 'peak' stupid although I do think Beavis and Butthead Do America flies under the radar and is right up there with the rest of Mike Judge's comedy.

I think people like a cross-section of stupid and smart. That is so subjective, though.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fuck, who died and made you the arbiter of what's funny or not? Can the rest of us participate in this thread, or would you like to be left alone?
???

So he isn’t allowed his opinion? Or does every other word in his post have to be “IMHO”?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

So he isn’t allowed his opinion? Or does every other word in his post have to be “IMHO”?
I guess it just felt like he was beating a dead horse. I mean, he already stated he didn't like it?

It was pre-coffee. I'll be better?:noidea:

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, when stating my opinion... I am the arbiter of my opinion. I never said you have to agree. Don't act like a girl and read into shit that isn't there.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is actually the hard part I have with this debate.

Like I could quote every scene in Orgazmo. Is it a good movie? I left it off my list but I've probably seen in ten times. I know Zoolander isn't very popular but I do love quotable, stupid movies. Idiocracy is probably 'peak' stupid although I do think Beavis and Butthead Do America flies under the radar and is right up there with the rest of Mike Judge's comedy.

I think people like a cross-section of stupid and smart. That is so subjective, though.
People will like whatever they like, quotable movies are fun, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are good. Never mind that "funny" and "good" are opinions that can both be had separately.

For me, stupid jokes have to be in context or limited. Example would be Idiocracy, it is dumb, but it fits the context so it is tolerable to watch. If it was supposed to be a normal comedy but had those jokes, it would be awful unless they were heavily limited in my opinion. Hence why when you see stupid jokes like these in a 'normal' comedy movie, it is usually limited to one character making them so as to not dilute it.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will like whatever they like, quotable movies are fun, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are good. Never mind that "funny" and "good" are opinions that can both be had separately.

For me, stupid jokes have to be in context or limited. Example would be Idiocracy, it is dumb, but it fits the context so it is tolerable to watch. If it was supposed to be a normal comedy but had those jokes, it would be awful unless they were heavily limited in my opinion. Hence why when you see stupid jokes like these in a 'normal' comedy movie, it is usually limited to one character making them so as to not dilute it.
Quotable lines is a good sign about the quality of the movie though.

How easy is it to mention a quote that people know exactly which movie you're talking about?

Adds to the enjoyment of the movie.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Blazing Saddles
2. Major League
3. Robin Hood: Men in Tights
4. Ghostbusters
5. Happy Gilmore

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quotable lines is a good sign about the quality of the movie though.

How easy is it to mention a quote that people know exactly which movie you're talking about?

Adds to the enjoyment of the movie.
I was not saying that quotable movies cannot also be good, just that them being quotable does not make them inherently good. With that said, we are talking about movies... it's all subjective. And someone could think that a movie being quotable is the best quality, I would disagree, but that is there opinion.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hence why when you see stupid jokes like these in a 'normal' comedy movie, it is usually limited to one character making them so as to not dilute it.
Best example I can think of is Slammin Salmon. There is one character in that movie that is outrageously funny while everyone else tries to move the plot. Although I do think there are more than one stupid character but there is one that basically steals the whole movie.

I'm trying to think of a non-quotable comedy that I liked. The Whole Nine Yards? That one is entirely premise and your ability to tolerate Chandler from Friends.

F#&*(

I forgot Clue in my top 10. Clue is great.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not saying that quotable movies cannot also be good, just that them being quotable does not make them inherently good. With that said, we are talking about movies... it's all subjective. And someone could think that a movie being quotable is the best quality, I would disagree, but that is there opinion.
Yeah its all subjective but if you look at good/great movies there are elements in them that make them so good. Story, dialog, acting, direction, special effects etc

Quotable lines is another element of the mix. Helps makes them memorable and can encapsulate a lot about the movie.

Like "Theres no crying in baseball" ;)

Or "There's always the unexpected" Movie? ;)

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid is not funny.

Witty is funny.
Not sure why you quoted the post with those movies, those movies are witty as fuck.

But yes, stupid CAN be funny, but I would agree it is a delicate balance.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah its all subjective but if you look at good/great movies there are elements in them that make them so good. Story, dialog, acting, direction, special effects etc

Quotable lines is another element of the mix. Helps makes them memorable and can encapsulate a lot about the movie.

Like "Theres no crying in baseball" ;)

Or "There's always the unexpected" Movie? ;)
Again, to each their own.

A League of Their Own is a decent movie and while you can make that quote, I don't think that helps its stock in movie history at all. Like I said, I can throw Anchorman quotes out all day long, but you will never get me to say that it is my GOAT.

Personally, I don't think story, dialogue, acting, direction, SFX, etc... is the same as quotable at all. Though I would find it interesting to see as an Oscar award lol... Most Quotable Movie of the Year.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zoolander is a good example of that. Stiller is so stupid in that movie its pretty funny
Sure and that is another example like the one I mentioned. It is specific to certain characters (Stiller and Owen). If every character acted like that, it would be stupid overload and not be funny at all. Afterall, a character in a movie is typically only stupid compared to other characters.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, to each their own.

A League of Their Own is a decent movie and while you can make that quote, I don't think that helps its stock in movie history at all. Like I said, I can throw Anchorman quotes out all day long, but you will never get me to say that it is my GOAT.

Personally, I don't think story, dialogue, acting, direction, SFX, etc... is the same as quotable at all. Though I would find it interesting to see as an Oscar award lol... Most Quotable Movie of the Year.

Not an award but its own page.

The baseball quote is there of course. :)

There are other qualities about these movies that make them great but they also seem to have memorable quotes as well.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young Frankenstein
The Bad News bears
Hot Rod
Bridesmaids
Just Friends