• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Dungy: Worst HOF coach ever?

Does Dungy deserved to be HOF?

• Total voters

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you go ahead and add Marty Schottenheimer to your list as well. He fits right in with your list of coaches who couldn't win a SB. And before you tell me Fisher has one it was a player on the 85 Bears squad where he spent the whole season on IR.

Though I do not think he should definitely be in the HOF, Schottenheimer deserves a LOT more consideration than he gets.

205 wins, turned around three struggling franchises in the Browns, Chiefs, and Chargers, and had some bad luck in the post season with the Byner and Marlon McCree fumbles. The McCree fumble was most devastating because it cost Marty his best shot at a title and, by extension, a sure HOF induction

That Chargers team would have handled both the Colts and Bears rather easily, IMO.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted Yes. He was a 'players' coach and a pioneer for future African American coaches pursuing NFL jobs.

There was a reason he received one of the only standy "O's" of the awards show... He has mass respect in the league by colleagues, players and media... He's deserving to be in the HOF imo...

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a colt fan i never thought of him as a great coach .

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Fisher has 169. Andy Reid has 161. John Fox isn't too far behind Dungy with 125.

It's the hall of fame, not the hall of really good. I think Dick Vermeil had a more impressive career than Dungy did.

Fisher's been a HC for how long now? 21, 22 years, and has 156 reg season losses to go along with those 169 reg wins for a very decidedly average .522 winning percentage in the reg season. And while his playoff resume sits at 5-6 overall with a SB appearance. If not for the luckiest play in NFL playoff history, the Music City Miracle, and I'm still not sure if it was a legal play. His playoff record would be a dismal 2-6 with no SB appearance. 6 playoff appearances/5 playoff wins in 20+ years of being a HC isn't impressive. Fisher doesn't belong in the same conversation with Dungy HC-wise.

Reid has 161 reg season wins/110 reg season losses/.594 winning percentage in the reg season. And while his playoff record is better at 11-11 than Dungy's 9-10 playoff record. I'll take 9-10 with a SB victory over 11-11 and a SB appearance all day long everyday of the week. Advantage is clearly to Dungy, but if Reid manages to win a SB with KC. This debate can certainly be revisited.

Fox is on the next lower tier than Reid with 125 reg season wins/99 reg season losses/.558 winning percentage. And while better winning percentage-wise than Dungy at 8-7 in the playoffs. Again Dungy's SB win is a huge trump card over anything Fox has done in the playoffs.

Vermil, whom I've always liked quite a bit going back to his UCLA days has 120 reg season wins/109 reg season losses/.529 winning percentage in reg season. Advantage clearly to Dungy reg season-wise. Dick does have a more impressive playoff resume, I'd say noticeably so in fact at 6-5, .545 winning percentage, 2 SB appearances, 1 SB title. I think what hurts Vermil though is the the way his SB win came about. No one had the 99 Rams on any postseason or SB title radar and certainly not after initial starting QB Trent Green suffered a season ending injury. And yet, that injury was the imo the most important piece, the key piece, to that season. Along with what could only be called the fairy tale story or at least beginning for Kurt Warner. Warner was a complete shock to the entire NFL world, players, coaches, scouts, fans, everyone. Whether right or wrong that everyone includes Dick Vermil. And that brings with it the question of, was Dick Vermil lucky or good? Just for that one season which one was he? I gotta go with lucky and not just regular lucky. But finding a 100 million dollar lottery ticket the day its set to roll over to the state if no one claims it and getting to the lottery office with 1 minute to spare kinda lucky. You can't or don't prepare for anything like that. Its just a gift from God or evolution or the flying spaghetti monster. Whatever belief or lack thereof that one adheres to.

Dungy's reg season 139 reg season wins/69 reg season losses/.668 winning percentage blows every single HC in this post away and its not close reg season-wise. And imo his SB title is the huge trump card over Reid and Fox with no SB titles under their belts and Vermil's lucky SB title. Even though all of them have a slightly better playoff record w/l-percentage-wise.

None of these HCs compare with Dungy and if Dungy's simply hall of very good. None of the coaches in this post should even be thought about or mentioned when it comes to the Hall of Fame.

Another man's opinion on Dick Vermil and whether or not he's Hall-worthy

Statistically Speaking: Is Dick Vermeil a Hall of Fame Coach?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden sniped his SBOWL
This is just simply not true.

Gruden won his Super Bowl because he was Gruden. That Raiders team Gruden beat, his team, was beaten because Gruden knew all of the plays.

Dungy did sort of luck into a Super Bowl with Peyton playing some sound, fundamental football and good defense. That Colts Super Bowl win is more his than Peyton's so I'm okay with the kind of notion that he is a borderline HOF coach.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He deserves some credit for building the Bucs team that won the 2003 Super-Bowl
Unfortunately John Gruden got all the credit.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things I now know about the NFL:

1) the HOF is no longer a respected honor, instead a popularity contest no different than the Pro Bowl.
2) the Colt influence on the NFL runs scary deep. Bill Polian is captian of the old boys club, and because of his influence, were gonna see guys like Dungy and Marvin "the murderer" Harrison in before guys like Terrell Owens who actually deserve it.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: @NWPATSFAN just indirectly admitted that Peyton is the GOAT. :10::10::10::10:
He arguably is when you look at his regular season passing stats. I've never said anything different. It's the post season stats where I draw the line. Today could go a long way toward moving him up or down even further on that list.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) the HOF is no longer a respected honor, instead a popularity contest no different than the Pro Bowl.
2) the Colt influence on the NFL runs scary deep. Bill Polian is captian of the old boys club, and because of his influence, were gonna see guys like Dungy and Marvin "the murderer" Harrison in before guys like Terrell Owens who actually deserve it.
Jerry Kramer was voted the top OG in the first 50 years of the NFL but isn't in the HOF. He has been retired since 1968.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dungy basically gets retroactive credit for what Gruden did.

The only reason Tampa won was because Gruden was an ex Raider. Dungy couldn't even get them out of the Wild Card the two previous seasons.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The really big knock on Harrison is the playoffs. He basically had 1 good year and 9 years where he was just a guy. Owens was a major factor in 4 of 8 years with lesser QBs. I voted no in this poll but Im okay with Dungy getting in because I think the Tampa 2 should be part of the NFL history but Harrison getting in just doesn't make any sense. Reggie Wayne filled in for Harrison and gave 80% of the production and the Colts didn't skip a beat at all.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The really big knock on Harrison is the playoffs. He basically had 1 good year and 9 years where he was just a guy. Owens was a major factor in 4 of 8 years with lesser QBs. I voted no in this poll but Im okay with Dungy getting in because I think the Tampa 2 should be part of the NFL history but Harrison getting in just doesn't make any sense. Reggie Wayne filled in for Harrison and gave 80% of the production and the Colts didn't skip a beat at all.

Interesting point about the Tampa 2. Gruden perfected that too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting point about the Tampa 2. Gruden perfected that too.
If we are being honest about the process then its not about Tampa Bay. at. all.

Its NFL Shawshank Redemption with the bro-mance of Peyton and Dungy that the NFL really wants.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are being honest about the process then its not about Tampa Bay. at. all.

Its NFL Shawshank Redemption with the bro-mance of Peyton and Dungy that the NFL really wants.

Dungy and Polian have serious influence on the NFL for some reason, and no one seems to benefit more than Manning. It's both fascinating and disturbing. I can't wait to finally hear why one day in some tell all book someone writes.

I think it's blatant favoritism when Polian can praise Harrison, never once mentioning his off field gun issues, while chastising a far superior WR in Terrell Owens. And didn't Tony Dungy make his kid hill himself? No one ever talks about that. I've lost any respect I had for Polian now.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've lost any respect I had for Polian now.
He has been Matt Millen for a long time now...it took years for the Colts to figure out that whatever drafting magic he had was long gone. I'm sure if you went back and looked at all of his NFL draft discussion recently that it would mostly be terrible advice on players.