• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it all depends on how DeShields and Desmond are hitting when Josh comes back. When Josh is healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see DeShields benched several times a week.

Of course how you play is a factor but my point is Josh wont smell the playing field in April. A lot of ball to be played. Which begs the question how does the lineup shake out not. Good lead off guys like DDJ don't grow on trees. I say Josh needs and will have to earn playing time barring further injury which is no long shot by any means. Not worried about any cronyism re Josh. Play the best players

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raise your hand if you're still bad-mouthing the Rangers for not hiring Tim Boger.

man, I had no idea who Banny was when he was hired, but everything I've ever seen or heard has done nothing but strengthen my belief he was the perfect guy for the job.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man, I had no idea who Banny was when he was hired, but everything I've ever seen or heard has done nothing but strengthen my belief he was the perfect guy for the job.

He did well with the short hand he was dealt with injuries, last year. I would still like to see some of the in game decisions that he botched last year, be in the past and hope he learned from them. I know it wasn't as bad as Ron but there were a few real head scratchers. I am not bashing him by any means. I think he's great for the Rangers and I do realize all managers are going to make moves that don't necessarily pan out.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course how you play is a factor but my point is Josh wont smell the playing field in April. A lot of ball to be played. Which begs the question how does the lineup shake out not. Good lead off guys like DDJ don't grow on trees. I say Josh needs and will have to earn playing time barring further injury which is no long shot by any means. Not worried about any cronyism re Josh. Play the best players
I don't think it will be cronyism, but I think if and when Josh is healthy he will be in the lineup. He showed last year that when he is healthy he is still a force. I believe I read that if he had been healthy for most of the year last year that he would have easily led the league in game winning hits. I think that is why we are seeing Desmond playing CF as much as he has so far. We shall see. I guess when Delino is out of the lineup the leadoff hitter will be the same player as they will put there in 2017 when Delino will be out of a starting job here.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will be cronyism, but I think if and when Josh is healthy he will be in the lineup. He showed last year that when he is healthy he is still a force. I believe I read that if he had been healthy for most of the year last year that he would have easily led the league in game winning hits. I think that is why we are seeing Desmond playing CF as much as he has so far. We shall see.

Gonna need them all at some point, there will be games missed due to injury for Josh and DDJ as well probable. DDJ already w the bicep thing this year and had the hammy issues last year. They could also afford to give Choo off to get right when he's injured, instead of running him out there hurt for part of the season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will be cronyism, but I think if and when Josh is healthy he will be in the lineup. He showed last year that when he is healthy he is still a force

I agree. Cronyism won't enter into the evaluation process.

But if he's on the team he's got to get playing time in LF, or else he's got to be either put on the 60 day DL, or released. LF is the only spot for him, b/c he can't play center, can't PR, and we don't need him as a DH.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Cronyism won't enter into the evaluation process.

But if he's on the team he's got to get playing time in LF, or else he's got to be either put on the 60 day DL, or released. LF is the only spot for him, b/c he can't play center, can't PR, and we don't need him as a DH.

Right on. Got to quit dreaming about what he use to be and think about what he is today.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I had never thought about this aspect of Spring Training.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say the Rangers have a very successful season the way many of us think they will. Most of us also think Gallo, Brinson, and Mazara will be starting here a year from now. How unusual will it be for a team to have a lot of success one year and start so many rookies or the next year?

With the possibility of Profar and/or Rua forcing their way into the mix as well we could see a significantly different lineup to start the 2017 season than the one that starts a very successful 2016 season.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say the Rangers have a very successful season the way many of us think they will. Most of us also think Gallo, Brinson, and Mazara will be starting here a year from now. A few might be able make the case for Profar and/or Rua as well. How unusual will it be for a team to have a lot of success one year and start so many rookies the next year?

It's all a big hypothetical at this point. I always like to assume that the Rangers are going to field the most competitive team possible, and if that means 3 rookies, then it'll mean just that. Might have to temper expectations for '17 if that's the case.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all a big hypothetical at this point. I always like to assume that the Rangers are going to field the most competitive team possible, and if that means 3 rookies, then it'll mean just that. Might have to temper expectations for '17 if that's the case.
Yes, it is a hypothetical, but then we like to discuss those on here. lol

I think it would be a credit to the organization if that happens. I just think it would be very unusual, not necessarily bad, but unusual.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as tempering expectations, I think that would depend on how much big league experience they get this year. They all have to go through a difficult time making adjustments and maybe Joey has gotten his out of the way for the most part. If they continue to play at Round Rock the way they did in Surprise I don't think I would temper expectations for 2017. A lot has to play out yet, but it could prove to be very interesting.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as tempering expectations, I think that would depend on how much big league experience they get this year.

I suppose in my line of thinking, if the Rangers are having a very successful 2016, then those 3 don't get much playing time this year. Yeah, it's possible they could be up here and contributing, but my point wasn't based on that.