• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 more hits for Rua today along with a walk.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Eric Longenhagen for ESPN re: our prospects:

Everything looks like it's coming together for both Lewis Brinsonand Nomar Mazara. Brinson is tracking pitches well, is quick to the ball and has continued to cut down on how much he swings and misses in general. He's above average in center field, a plus runner to first base and a plus-plus runner when underway.

Mazara has the best power/hit tool combination of any other prospect right now, and I think his arm strength will allow him to play in a corner right now even if he has below-average range.

Rangers first base prospect Ronald Guzman looks like he may be getting through some of the growing pains he dealt with during last year's swing changes. He's opening up his hips and driving the ball a bit more now, where as in the Arizona Fall League several months ago, he was less apt to rotate and was settling for punching pitches the other way.

ESPN colleague Keith Law saw first-round pick (in 2015) Dillon Tate a few weeks ago, and he was good for me as well. Tate was 94-96 mph, showing a plus slider, and he had an inning-ending strikeout on back-to-back changeups, the second of which was above average. He looks a little looser and leaner than he did last spring.

Lefty pitcher Yohander Mendez was electric, sitting 92-94 with some wiggle, with an above-average slider and changeup. He located all three pitches, and I think it's evidence that last year's improvements to early-career strike-throwing issues were not a fluke. When his pitches peak, he already has mid-rotation-quality stuff, but Mendez is only 20 and a projectable 6-foot-5. You could argue he could develop to even better than that.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feeling is that the Rangers would be better off in the long run with a regular 5 man rotation where they didn't skip anyone with off days in April and early May. Both Perez and Holland have thrown a limited number of innings the past couple of years and I think they could use the extra days between starting. I think that pays dividends in their performances later in the year. They are each in line to throw a lot more innings this year and I think every break they can get along the way will be worth it. Just my two cents worth.

If don't disagree. I wonder if we stash AJ in minors for one start if agreeable then bring him up.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If don't disagree. I wonder if we stash AJ in minors for one start if agreeable then bring him up.

Not sure what his arrangement is. But it seems most of the time these older, established players who come to camp can move on if they feel they have a better opportunity elsewhere, rather than go to the minors.

And I have no idea how impressive he's been to other clubs either. But I know I'd sure like to see us have LOTS of depth.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby had a nice six inning game.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby is going to have some stinkers, but if 50% of his games look like today, I'll be happy.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland looked terrible again today leaving Rua a great opportunity.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Bush may be an asset at some point. Thats almost crazy.

Fielder blasts 3-run homer in Rangers' victory

By ALAN ESKEW
Associated Press
March 27, 2016
SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) Prince Fielder hit a three-run homer, Colby Lewispitched effectively into the seventh inning and the Texas Rangers beat an Arizona Diamondbacks' split-squad 5-4 Sunday.

Fielder homered to right-center field in the fourth on the first pitch from Josh Collmenter, who was the Diamondbacks' 2015 opening day starter. Robinson Chirinos went 3 for 3 and led off the four-run inning with a single.

Lewis gave up four runs on six hits, including home runs to Chris Owingsand Phil Gosselin, and struck out six in 6 2/3 innings.

''Colby was much sharper today,'' Rangers manager Jeff Banister said. ''He had more success throwing first pitches, getting his pitches to where he wanted to. His breaking stuff was measurably sharper. I thought he used the changeup when he needed to. He was able to work both sides of the plate, quick outs, quick innings and limited any damage that he got himself into. It was a really good outing for Colby.''

Yoan Lopez, a 23-year-old Cuban right-hander the Diamondbacks signed for $8.27 million in January 2015, tossed three scoreless innings, allowing four hits, walking one and striking out four. Lopez, who has a 1.29 ERA in four outings, went 1-6 with a 4.69 ERA last season with Double-A Mobile.

''I grew a lot last year,'' Lopez said through an interpreter. ''This is my second year in America. I feel ready.''

Matt Bush made his second spring appearance and worked a scoreless eighth, allowing a leadoff double and a walk. Bush was the first overall pick in the 2004 draft and signed with the Rangers on a minor league deal in December after being released from prison in October.

''Anytime you see an arm like Matt's, 97 to 100 (mph) with the combo of the breaking ball and what's more impressive is it's at the knees and carries the velocity all the way through,'' Banister said. ''He's also pretty impressive. It's fun to watch. When you've got power stuff like that, your margin of error is a little bigger. The breaking ball is still a power pitch, also. He's going to be a tough customer.''

STARTING TIME

Diamondbacks: Lopez pitched out of a bases loaded situation in the first when Rougned Odor and Fielder singled and Ian Desmond walked. He struck out Mitch Moreland to end the inning.

''I struck him out with a breaking ball,'' Lopez said.

On walking Desmond to load the bases, Lopez said ''with first base open, I was just trying to make a good pitch and if he swung, he swung.''

Rangers: Lewis threw 62 strikes in 86 pitches, facing 27 batters. He gave up nine runs on 11 hits in a loss to San Diego in his previous start.

DAZZLING DELGADO

Diamondbacks RHP Randall Delgado struck out the side in the seventh, including Adrian Beltre and Fielder. He has struck out 11 in 10 innings.

TRAINER'S ROOM

Rangers: OF Delino DeShields, who was setback by a right biceps tendinitis Tuesday and was the designated hitter Saturday, will play center field Monday.

UP NEXT

Diamondbacks: RHP Kyle Drabek, who had already been sent to minor league camp, will start against the Giants. The Diamondbacks are 2-0-1 while scoring 26 runs in their first three meetings with San Francisco. LHP Robbie Ray will pitch in a minor league game instead of facing the Giants.

Rangers: LHP Derek Holland will start against the Dodgers.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland looked terrible again today leaving Rua a great opportunity.

Going in, we knew Moreland was gonna fail against LHP to begin with, right? So, what Rua is really doing is setting himself apart from the other RH hitting, potential 1st baseman.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what his arrangement is. But it seems most of the time these older, established players who come to camp can move on if they feel they have a better opportunity elsewhere, rather than go to the minors.

And I have no idea how impressive he's been to other clubs either. But I know I'd sure like to see us have LOTS of depth.

This article kind of supports my thought. We add Griffin and send him down and bring him up if ready for the first start or later if needed. One of the young guys can pitch the first start needed if Griffinis needed. This is. Ether insurance in case of another pitcher injury. Should know soon as opt out day is tomorrow

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other issue is how to handle Josh. Thinking he is going to need some tough love and some extended ST/ rehab starts. Guess a long shot but still wonder if 60 day DL is an option. I guess if he has a setback it could happen

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other issue is how to handle Josh. Thinking he is going to need some tough love and some extended ST/ rehab starts. Guess a long shot but still wonder if 60 day DL is an option. I guess if he has a setback it could happen
I think it all depends on how DeShields and Desmond are hitting when Josh comes back. When Josh is healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see DeShields benched several times a week.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This article kind of supports my thought. We add Griffin and send him down and bring him up if ready for the first start or later if needed. One of the young guys can pitch the first start needed if Griffinis needed. This is. Ether insurance in case of another pitcher injury. Should know soon as opt out day is tomorrow
I think they will keep Griffin as the 5th starter and pitch him on the 5th day of the season. That is, barring some kind of a trade, I think they will do that.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will keep Griffin as the 5th starter and pitch him on the 5th day of the season. That is, barring some kind of a trade, I think they will do that.

Bennie have you opened the roto league up yet? I still have the guy wanting to get in