• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes some sense to me, as far as Desmond moving over, if the need arises. And certainly Mazara is biting at the reins.

But let me ask, is it me, or is anyone else wore out with hearing Gallo's name mentioned in any capacity with the 2016 Texas Rangers?

Seems his name has come up in every Rangers convo for the last 2 years. I feel like he is about to be passed by Mazara in his option as a LF'er this season however. May get a call up midseason if he's doing well if Beltre missed any time and there was a need at 3B. He has some work to do in RR for awhile though IMO

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems his name has come up in every Rangers convo for the last 2 years. I feel like he is about to be passed by Mazara in his option as a LF'er this season however. May get a call up midseason if he's doing well if Beltre missed any time and there was a need at 3B. He has some work to do in RR for awhile though IMO

IMO, Mazara HAS passed him.

And I tell ya something else, if EA plays well, and Profar proves to be healthy, it wouldn't shock me to see Jurk get some reps at 3rd sometime at AAA.

As far as "Gallo has some work to do at RR" this is understating how poorly he's shown during 2015 and now 2016's ST.

Swear, I'm not trying to bury the young man. But tapping-the-brakes on Joey Gallo's future doesn't cover it. Slam the damn brakes already.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was typing my response when you were posting yours. ha

Also, that was an entertaining, mutli-pronged conversation between Bacisk and Sandler re: Beltre wasn't it?
Yes, I enjoyed the conversation and their thought process.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Ian Desmond: Could handle CF if needed

by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire
The Texas Rangers believe Ian Desmond is capable of playing center field if need be, MLB Network's Jon Heyman reports.

Most signs point to Desmond spending all of 2016 in left field for the Rangers, but there are scenarios where it might make sense to try him in center field. For instance, if Delino DeShields Jr. struggles in center, Desmond could shift over, and allow Josh Hamilton, Nomar Mazara or Joey Gallo to occupy left field, but this would obviously be later in the season. Either way, it sounds like Desmond will be in the lineup almost every day, and while he won't be playing shortstop, he still maintains that eligibility in fantasy leagues.
Just based on last year I would think there is a better chance of Desmond struggling than Delino.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I tell ya something else, if EA plays well, and Profar proves to be healthy, it wouldn't shock me to see Jurk get some reps at 3rd sometime at AAA.

As far as "Gallo has some work to do at RR" this is understating how poorly he's shown during 2015 and now 2016's ST.

Swear, I'm not trying to bury the young man. But tapping-the-brakes on Joey Gallo's future doesn't cover it. Slam the damn brakes already.

Depends what you're calling slamming the breaks. I think he's in our starting lineup starting 2017. I think you might be overstating his struggles a bit. No they're not pretty, but there's also no reason to think he won't overcome them and start producing. Throughout his entire minor league career he had struggled when initially promoted, only to turn into a monster after making adjustments. He'll do the same here.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes some sense to me, as far as Desmond moving over, if the need arises. And certainly Mazara is biting at the reins.

But let me ask, is it me, or is anyone else wore out with hearing Gallo's name mentioned in any capacity with the 2016 Texas Rangers?
Do you mean to break camp with them or to come up later in the year? This time last year no one was mentioning it for 2015. I remember passing on what Thad Levine said about Gallo possibly being brought up last year and no one thought it was going to happen. He won't break camp with the team, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he comes up at some point in 2016 before rosters expand.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think we're sort-of/kind-of agreeing, just we're saying it differently. ha ha

And yes, Harper is still a kid. And he's not the sharpest knife either. But he's also a spoiled, pampered brat too.
He is a kid and Manziel is a kid. They both need a change of attitude. Lots of kids do better than those two with their words and their attitude.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what you're calling slamming the breaks. I think he's in our starting lineup starting 2017. I think you might be overstating his struggles a bit. No they're not pretty, but there's also no reason to think he won't overcome them and start producing. Throughout his entire minor league career he had struggled when initially promoted, only to turn into a monster after making adjustments. He'll do the same here.

I sincerely hope I'm not being pessimistic. Actually, I consider it being cautious.

As far as his track record is concerned, that's not a linear equation. What you've stated is true. But the whole reason there's levels is, things get tougher the further up the ladder one goes. And here's hoping you've got it nailed.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I am full throttle on him. I am just going to go full throttle on the AAA track and not the big league track for now. That is subject to change within a few months though I believe.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am full throttle on him.

Most are, and I do understand.

I hope late this season all you guys are having a good time with, "weren't you the guy" blah-blah-blah and we'll all have a laugh at my expense. I'm good for it.

All I want is for him to produce and earn it, just like Brinson and Mazara are. And it's not like I don't "necessarily" think he can't do it.

Proofs in the pudding eh? This fair?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most are, and I do understand.

I hope late this season all you guys are having a good time with, "weren't you the guy" blah-blah-blah and we'll all have a laugh at my expense. I'm good for it.

All I want is for him to produce and earn it, just like Brinson and Mazara are. And it's not like I don't "necessarily" think he can't do it.

Proofs in the pudding eh? This fair?
Fair enough. I wonder how their stats last year would have been different if Gallo had stayed down and the other two had come up?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this kid is going to be someone to watch this year.