• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally.

Orioles Sign Yovani Gallardo

The Orioles have agreed to sign Yovani Gallardo to a three-year, $33MM deal with a $13MM club option for 2019. He will be paid $9MM in 2016, $11MM in 2017, and $13MM in 2018. The 2019 option comes with a $2MM buyout, pushing the total guarantee to $35MM. The deal is pending a physical and does not include a no trade clause. The only incentives are small bonuses for awards (tweet).

That's not bad deal for Baltimore. Decent price for a solid #3.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power remains Joey Gallo's calling card as he continues to grow

While scouts have compared Gallo to the likes of Adam Dunn and Russell Branyan, Baltimore’s Chris Davis might be the more accurate comparison. The Rangers point to Gallo’s strong arm, athleticism and baserunning instincts as evidence that he’s more than just a one-trick pony. During a late-June game in Toronto, Rangers manager Jeff Banister threw everyone a curve when he started Gallo in center field.

Banister, adhering to a time-honored theory about struggles being beneficial to prospects unaccustomed to failure, thinks Gallo’s short-term travails will make him more resilient in the long run.

“You gotta get punched,’’ Banister said. “You’ve got to learn how to overcome it, so that when you have those obstacles again in your career, you know they’re not so devastating. He had early success and he was Superman for a few days, and then the league said, ‘Hold on, big man.’ The thing I love about him is how hard he works. He’s very determined.’’

Gallo channeled his disappointment over his 2015 numbers into some rigorous offseason workouts with Jason Giambi and Rockies catcher Nick Hundley in his native Las Vegas. When Gallo arrived in camp, the Rangers told him he should expect to log a lot of time at third base. But if Josh Hamilton is slow to return from offseason knee surgery, Gallo could wind up in the left-field mix with Justin Ruggiano, Ryan Rua and several others.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a good look at some of our younger prospects.

Previewing the 2016 Hickory Crawdads - Notes From The Sally

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I wouldn't have complained if he hung around for that. Well maybe that 11 million option, but other than that not so bad.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wouldn't have complained if he hung around for that. Well maybe that 11 million option, but other than that not so bad.

I would have to agree with both yours and Romeo's sentiments. Seems like a good deal for a guy that makes almost every one of his scheduled starts and gives you a chance to win lots of those

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The headline isn't quite in line with what the article says.

"They'd like to bring in somebody who could play some center field, but that may become a secondary priority if they need to strengthen the left field platoon. In that case, a left-handed hitter might be a bigger priority."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant was on the Ticket this morning and he feels Beltre is looking for 2 years guaranteed, with a 3rd year having a vesting option. And the 2 years would be for around $16 each.

He thinks the 5th spot in the rotation is Chi-Chi's to lose, and if he fails, Guthrie will get first look.

He's a "little" surprised to see Holland showing up in camp 5-7 lbs heavy. Not a huge deal, just somewhat surprised.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're both right.

But for me, I'm glad he's gone b/c that SOB made me miserable damn near every time out. Those 20+ first innings made me a crazy person before the sun was down.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine 5 pounds would be a hassle for Dutch to lose in camp.

Yeah, I'm sure.

He didn't make a big deal about it. His thoughts were, "for all practical purposes, he hasn't pitched the last 2 years. Now that he's almost 30, hasn't pitched, he thought Holland would show up in the best shape of his life."
He didn't dwell on it.

Apparently Holland is giving him a bunch of grief for even bringing it up. Good naturedly of course. Grant will end up wishing he'd never mentioned it is my best guess.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers’ concern for Hamilton could lead to deal with Murphy

The Rangers have been in contact with several free-agent outfielders in addition to Murphy. No official offer has been made to Murphy, who played with the Rangers from 2008 to 2013 and lives in Trophy Club, but the Rangers have talked to him about a minor-league deal.

That could be come a big-league deal should Hamilton’s knee require a surgery that would keep him out a significant stretch.

The Rangers have a deep pool of internal players who could play left field, a group that includes their top three prospects. The general thinking is that Joey Gallo, Nomar Mazara and Lewis Brinson won’t be able to contribute until later in the season.

Hence, the need for a veteran. The Rangers have also checked in with Drew Stubbs, who finished 2015 with them, as well as Ryan Raburn and Austin Jackson.

Those three are right-handed hitters, which could put them in a disadvantage to Murphy.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant was on the Ticket this morning and he feels Beltre is looking for 2 years guaranteed, with a 3rd year having a vesting option. And the 2 years would be for around $16 each.

He thinks the 5th spot in the rotation is Chi-Chi's to lose, and if he fails, Guthrie will get first look.

He's a "little" surprised to see Holland showing up in camp 5-7 lbs heavy. Not a huge deal, just somewhat surprised.
I would have to think Martinez would get a shot before Guthrie. I think Guthrie will be lucky to land a starting spot in AAA.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to think Martinez would get a shot before Guthrie. I think Guthrie will be lucky to land a starting spot in AAA.

this was my thought as well.