• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they can trade Elvis and move Desmond to SS. What will really change? Nothing, but we will be paying less to an error prone less than average hitter. (this is mostly sarcasm as I know he's going to be playing LF)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they can trade Elvis and move Desmond to SS. What will really change? Nothing, but we will be paying less to an error prone less than average hitter. (this is mostly sarcasm as I know he's going to be playing LF)

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this were a precursor to Elvis being traded.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desmond will be interesting. His stats have declined the last 4 years with 187 K's and a 674 OPS last year in 583 ABs. Plus this will be new territory for him playing LF. If he could produce somewhere between his 2012 and 2015 years that would be nice. But he had a lot of ABs those 4 years and am not sure what to expect if he is platooned.
The salary isn't very costly, but the draft pick could be very costly. His regression over the past several seasons coupled with what you mentioned about him being platooned makes me wonder if he can put up better numbers than what we already had. Then there is the whole defensive side to this. Some were already questioning DeShields' defense and now we are going to have two converted infielders playing next to each other. This move is a definite head scratcher to me.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salary isn't very costly, but the draft pick could be very costly. His regression over the past several seasons coupled with what you mentioned about him being platooned makes me wonder if he can put up better numbers than what we already had. Then there is the whole defensive side to this. Some were already questioning DeShields' defense and now we are going to have two converted infielders playing next to each other. This move is a definite head scratcher to me.

I am sure they thought about that before they signed him. If there was a player they absolutely had to have a 19 they would have signed Austin Jackson. They can offer him the QO and get the pick back.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Josh Hamilton: Could see playing time drain with Ian Desmond aboard

Hamilton (knee) could see less playing time than previously expected when he returns from injury, due to the Rangers' acquisition of Ian Desmond.

The Rangers' current plan is for Desmond to play left field with the door open to several other positions, per James Wagner of the Washington Post. That would leave Hamilton as the fourth outfielder, behind Desmond and Shin-Soo Choo, but with a healthy amount of playing time while Desmond moves around. This is all still up in the air, as Desmond's play in April could lead to a different path, but it's looking increasingly likely that Hamilton won't be breaking 400 plate appearances this season, which he hasn't done since 2013.

Not sure about playing time dwindling, we are talking Hamilton here. Anyone that thought he would play more than 90 games was seriously kidding themselves.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure they thought about that before they signed him. If there was a player they absolutely had to have a 19 they would have signed Austin Jackson. They can offer him the QO and get the pick back.
If he doesn't rebound substantially I don't think they will risk giving him a QO in November.

I think the move is based on them gambling that Desmond does rebound to look like the player he was a few years back. I just don't know if that is a good gamble to take.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Josh Hamilton: Could see playing time drain with Ian Desmond aboard

Hamilton (knee) could see less playing time than previously expected when he returns from injury, due to the Rangers' acquisition of Ian Desmond.

The Rangers' current plan is for Desmond to play left field with the door open to several other positions, per James Wagner of the Washington Post. That would leave Hamilton as the fourth outfielder, behind Desmond and Shin-Soo Choo, but with a healthy amount of playing time while Desmond moves around. This is all still up in the air, as Desmond's play in April could lead to a different path, but it's looking increasingly likely that Hamilton won't be breaking 400 plate appearances this season, which he hasn't done since 2013.

Not sure about playing time dwindling, we are talking Hamilton here. Anyone that thought he would play more than 90 games was seriously kidding themselves.
I would be surprised if Desmond isn't the 4th OF when Hamilton is healthy. Even if Hamilton doesn't get healthy anytime soon there is no guarantee that Desmond is going to be able to hold onto an OF job.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profile: As of this writing, Desmond is team-less and a key suitor just went out and nabbed Alexei Ramirez. Meanwhile, the former National sits at home wondering what could've been had he accepted the seven-year, $107 million dollar offer the Nationals gave him in the fall of 2014. Instead, he bet on himself to have another big year and cash in even more. Maybe the pressure of passing up that offer and needing to perform got to him. It's tough to prove, but he himself alluded to as much in the aftermath of what turned out to be a disaster for the team at large, not just Desmond. Despite the struggles, he was steadfastly regarded as the consummate teammate and leader. Plus, for as bad as it all was, he did still rebound and post a second half that was right in line with his 2013-14, with his .777 OPS from mid-July on actually topping the .764 he posted in those two seasons combined. The added swing-and-miss over the last two seasons (28%) leaves his batting average at risk, but he still had the fourth-best isolated slugging percentage at shortstop. At 30, he may be done with the 20+ stolen base seasons (he had four straight in 2011-14), but he should be good for at least a repeat of last year's 13. The hype is gone and there aren't too many landing spots that would greatly boost his value in the draft market, so all of sudden he looks like a bargain at a tough position to fill. He has played 154 games in all but one season, too. (Paul Sporer)

The Quick Opinion: The allure of Desmond was that he was a shortstop coming off of three straight 20-20 seasons headed into his walk year on a fantastic team. Two of his first three months were nightmares (including a vomit-inducing .463 OPS in June) which tanked his season and covered the fact that he actually rebounded quite nicely in the second half (.777 OPS with a 28 homer/18 stolen base full-season pace).

I think he rebounds ok

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that if they were going to trade Elvis that it would be in the offseason when Desmond is a free agent again. That might change if Profar is tearing it up in AAA and another playoff team desperately needs a SS come deadline time. To trade a major clubhouse presence in mid-season during a pennant race would probably require a trade that is simply too good to pass up and I don't look for that to happen.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profile: As of this writing, Desmond is team-less and a key suitor just went out and nabbed Alexei Ramirez. Meanwhile, the former National sits at home wondering what could've been had he accepted the seven-year, $107 million dollar offer the Nationals gave him in the fall of 2014. Instead, he bet on himself to have another big year and cash in even more. Maybe the pressure of passing up that offer and needing to perform got to him. It's tough to prove, but he himself alluded to as much in the aftermath of what turned out to be a disaster for the team at large, not just Desmond. Despite the struggles, he was steadfastly regarded as the consummate teammate and leader. Plus, for as bad as it all was, he did still rebound and post a second half that was right in line with his 2013-14, with his .777 OPS from mid-July on actually topping the .764 he posted in those two seasons combined. The added swing-and-miss over the last two seasons (28%) leaves his batting average at risk, but he still had the fourth-best isolated slugging percentage at shortstop. At 30, he may be done with the 20+ stolen base seasons (he had four straight in 2011-14), but he should be good for at least a repeat of last year's 13. The hype is gone and there aren't too many landing spots that would greatly boost his value in the draft market, so all of sudden he looks like a bargain at a tough position to fill. He has played 154 games in all but one season, too. (Paul Sporer)

The Quick Opinion: The allure of Desmond was that he was a shortstop coming off of three straight 20-20 seasons headed into his walk year on a fantastic team. Two of his first three months were nightmares (including a vomit-inducing .463 OPS in June) which tanked his season and covered the fact that he actually rebounded quite nicely in the second half (.777 OPS with a 28 homer/18 stolen base full-season pace).

I think he rebounds ok
I sure hope he does.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if Desmond isn't the 4th OF when Hamilton is healthy. Even if Hamilton doesn't get healthy anytime soon there is no guarantee that Desmond is going to be able to hold onto an OF job.

It'll end up being some combination of this, Desmond and Hamilton will probably split the LF time, and Ruggiano and Desmond will probably backup in CF in case DDJ goes down for an extended period

I think this move provides roster flexibility in that Desmond can probably cover every position but 1B and catcher

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll end up being some combination of this, Desmond and Hamilton will probably split the LF time, and Ruggiano and Desmond will probably backup in CF in case DDJ goes down for an extended period

I think this move provides roster flexibility in that Desmond can probably cover every position but 1B and catcher
I wondered about him playing CF, but thought since no one has mentioned that that the thinking was that it would be easier to learn LF for now and not worry about CF.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Desmond agreed to a one-year, $8 million deal with the Rangers on Sunday and it might be the most disappointing day of his professional career.

In 2014, Desmond turned down a seven-year, $107 million deal from the Nationals. Last November, he turned down a one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer in order to hit free agency.

Do the math and the shortstop — he will likely move to left field in Texas — has turned down a combined $122.8 million over the last two years.

After declining the long-term offer from Washington, he hit .233/.290/.384 with 19 homers and 62 RBI. From 2012-2014, Desmond produced an average WAR of 4.5. In 2015, that number dropped to 1.7.

Even with the dip in production, getting Desmond for $8 million has to be considered a steal for the Rangers. He’ll add some athleticism to the lineup and has enough pop in his bat to produce a 25-homer season.

On MLB Network Radio, former Nats general manager Jim Bowden said he’s “never seen a worse contract for a player.”

“That’s a shocking number,” Bowden added. “What a great job by [Rangers general manager] Jon Daniels to hang around long enough to get Desmond for one year at eight. So he went from 107 million to losing 99 million over the last 12 months? You want to talk about a humbling sport?”

If Desmond can bounce back, he might be able to recoup some of the money he’s lost; but it’s unlikely he’ll get anything close to what Washington was offering just 15 months ago.

Desmond will need a good year to try and recoup some value for his next contract, I don't see playing LF being that big of a deal. Hell Napoli was stuck out there during a pennant race and was just short of a non factor really.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the talk about moving a middle infielder to the OF makes me wonder what could have been if Kinsler would have been willing to move to the OF. Of course that would have meant no Prince, but then that money could have went to another free agent I guess. It is also assuming they didn't yo yo Kinsler back to 2B when Profar went down and Odor was still allowed a shot at 2B.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One way they could make up for losing the draft pick is if Desmond does rebound but other canidates prove ready for LF as well. Then they could trade Desmond at the deadline and possibly get a return comparable to the draft pick they are giving up.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the talk about moving a middle infielder to the OF makes me wonder what could have been if Kinsler would have been willing to move to the OF. Of course that would have meant no Prince, but then that money could have went to another free agent I guess. It is also assuming they didn't yo yo Kinsler back to 2B when Profar went down and Odor was still allowed a shot at 2B.

Kinsler in LF would've been a waste. His power numbers have continued to plummet. And like you said, we'd probably see no Odor if he'd stayed.