• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that is what i said --"Not sure DDJ can be effective off the bench" translation - I want him to start here or be traded for value if Brinson earns the spot

OK....OK......"Got ya down."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bet the farm he will be a crown jewel for someone.

Whoa buddy, old friend, and fella-follower of our Rangers. Crown Jewel is too lofty of a "Throne" for Mr DeShields Jr to date.

But ya know, I'm really, really anxious to see this young man, in his sophomore season and all, show up in CF, and let's see what a year of growth has done for him; mentally and physically.

This kid won me over last season. His attitude and how he adjusted to a "new position/new team/no-one-expected-anything-other-than-failure from me" gives me great hope!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa buddy, old friend, and fella-follower of our Rangers. Crown Jewel is too lofty of a "Throne" for Mr DeShields Jr to date.

But ya know, I'm really, really anxious to see this young man, in his sophomore season and all, show up in CF, and let's see what a year of growth has done for him; mentally and physically.

This kid won me over last season. His attitude and how he adjusted to a "new position/new team/no-one-expected-anything-other-than-failure from me" gives me great hope!

Crown jewel a generic for a good one and not necessarly this year but in the future. As Romeo stated, he should get us a good return in a trade and I really think so too.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they brought in Stubbs instead of Murphy. I didn't want to see Another year of Murph striking out every other AB. I'd hope that bannister, unlike Wash, would have the sense to pull him at some point tho.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they brought in Stubbs instead of Murphy. I didn't want to see Another year of Murph striking out every other AB. I'd hope that bannister, unlike Wash, would have the sense to pull him at some point tho.

There's so many things wrong with this post I'm not sure where to start.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's so many things wrong with this post I'm not sure where to start.

Well, you could start with the fact Murphy hit .283 last season in 361 AB, and had 50 RBI.

But he's never let the facts get in his way before. :pound:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey DT. Some metrics re our all time great CF assessment

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pending physical Rangers sign Ian Desmond to one year deal.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting how things are viewed. Willie would be my pick.

Mays Is my all time pick although the Kid in his prime was also great. (Think chart is more career stats). I am big on constructing a team strong up the middle. Need premium CF, SS, and catcher. So thus my excitement re Brinson a premium athlete. Trout is a phenom minus his arm. Getting excited re baseball again. Our National pastime

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Rosenthal, it is a one year deal for 8 mil.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Versatility is key and no pressure to bring up youth. Huge for depth

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super utility guy, can play the infield and LF, costs the 19th overall pick and 8 mill for 1 year. Guess the are pretty sure Rua, Gallo, or Mazara weren't going to be options, at least until midseason or later?

Rangers To Sign Ian Desmond

By Zach Links | February 28, 2016 at 9:07am CST

9:07am: It’s a one-year, $8MM deal, per Rosenthal (on Twitter). Desmond turned down a one-year, $15.8MM qualifying offer from the Nationals earlier this offseason. In 2013, The Nationals reportedly made Ian Desmond a seven-year, $107MM extension offer.

Financially, Desmond might have a few regrets about his past decisions. On the flipside, if Desmond can have a strong 2016, he’ll have another opportunity to cash in next offseason.

8:29am: The Rangers have agreed to sign Ian Desmond to a one-year deal, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The deal is still pending a physical, but there is an agreement in place between the two sides. Ian-Desmond-vertical-242x300.jpg

Days ago, it was reported that the Rangers were eyeing Desmond as a left fielder and a club source has confirmed to Jim Bowden of ESPN (on Twitter) that he will indeed be moving to the outfield. Desmond, who has spent the overwhelming majority of his career as a shortstop, will be Texas’ starting left fielder in 2016.

Throughout the offseason, there’s been talk that Desmond could draw interest from clubs at a position other than shortstop, though there were a number of obstacles that seemed to be standing between Desmond and an agreement with the Rangers. For starters, Texas has repeatedly been said to be averse to adding further payroll, as they’re already looking at what projects to be a club-record payroll north of $145MM. Beyond that, the Rangers will have to surrender the No. 19 overall pick in the 2016 draft in order to sign Desmond. However, if the Rangers make Desmond a qualifying offer next offseason and he turns it down to sign elsewhere, Texas can recoup a first-round pick.

The Rangers picked up the No. 30 overall selection in the draft when Yovani Gallardo signed with Baltimore, though, so they will still have their first-round selection after coughing up their top pick for Desmond. That selection wouldn’t move up a spot, however, as the Nationals, who finished with a worse record than the Rangers, will gain a compensatory pick that would slot in ahead of the Rangers’ No. 30 selection.

Desmond endured perhaps his worst full season in the Majors last year, but he did rebound with a .262/.331/.446 second half, during which he homered a dozen times and stole eight bases. As it stands right now, Josh Hamilton is atop the Rangers’ depth chart in left field, but Hamilton is already slated to open the season on the disabled list and is unlikely to be relied upon as an everyday contributor even when fully healthy; given his recent injury history, Hamilton will probably require frequent rest in order to avoid the DL over the course of the season.

Earlier this month, we heard that the White Sox, Rays, and Rockies all reached out to Desmond’s camp in recent weeks. In January, the Padres were reportedly giving heavy consideration to signing Desmond before inking Alexei Ramirez. Desmond is represented by Sports One Athlete Management, as shown in the MLBTR Agency Database.