• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's probably going to have to "settle" for another show me 1 year contract for close to what he was making last season (2.5 million to 3 million). If the Flames could find someone to take Dennis Wideman, I'd gladly take Russell back, alas, there are no takers for Dennis.
Kinda hard to find someone to take a dude who goes around attempting to end referee lives.

#refereelivesmatter

:behindsofa:

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard Russell has interest from 8 teams.

I highly doubt he's PTO material.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to stop tossing those R.A. Dickey knuckleballs your way.
Or Sanchez sinkers.

Or any Blue Jays pitches these days.

I feel like I'm watching the baseball version of a Randy Carlyle coached team down the stretch.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Sanchez sinkers.

Or any Blue Jays pitches these days.

I feel like I'm watching the baseball version of a Randy Carlyle coached team down the stretch.

I was watching the game last night and when Smoak was up with the bases loaded and they flashed the stat at the bottom of the screen that he's a career .130 hitter with the bases juiced (1 GS though), I can't say I was surprised when he grounded into an inning ending double play.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the game last night and when Smoak was up with the bases loaded and they flashed the stat at the bottom of the screen that he's a career .130 hitter with the bases juiced (1 GS though), I can't say I was surprised when he grounded into an inning ending double play.
Thank god they gave him a contract extension. Definitely the potential FA I was worried most about was Justin fucking Smoak!

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It's a big problem if we have too many super talented elite players"

Said no right-thinking team ever.

Nash - Johansen - Gaborik
Carter - Anisimov - Voracek

Oh, you said "right thinking" team...

Well, here's a dman with a NHL level skill set still looking for a team...From Elliotte Friedman:

“Kris Russell, I hear, has got some interest out there and that he’s probably getting close to make a decision in the next few days. He’s a Western guy. I think in a perfect world he would stay out West, but right now he’s kind of got to wait. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if maybe he wants to go back to Calgary. Calgary has got a really crowded blueline. Unless they can do something there with one of their existing contracts, I’m not sure there’s room. But I think you’ll hear Russell signing probably within the next few days.”

Does he bloc-

Sorry, habit.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League leader in blocked shots the last couple of seasons.

I'm lisssstenninnggg...

8577536.jpg

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell would be a great fit on Ottawa, hope we're one of the 8 teams in on him.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell would be a great fit on Ottawa, hope we're one of the 8 teams in on him.

As long as he comes cheap, plays on the 3rd pair and allows us to fire Mark Borowiecki into the sun (or at the pressbox), I'm fine with having Russell join the Sens.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he comes cheap, plays on the 3rd pair and allows us to fire Mark Borowiecki into the sun (or at the pressbox), I'm fine with having Russell join the Sens.

I'd love to have Russell back, but not when his presence only serves to block a spot for Werenski, Kukan or Goloubef,

In place of Savard, Johnson or Prout? Hells yeah.

So, uhhhhhh, this happened:

Pronger and Parros. Two guys who have dedicated their careers to helping other guys not get hurt.

And, this happened:
Carey Price says P.K. Subban simply didn’t fit into Canadiens’ system

That explains it. Subban's game didn't fit in with the Habs' system. It just was not a place where he could be successful.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have Russell back, but not when his presence only serves to block a spot for Werenski, Kukan or Goloubef,

In place of Savard, Johnson or Prout? Hells yeah.

So, uhhhhhh, this happened:

Pronger and Parros. Two guys who have dedicated their careers to helping other guys not get hurt.

And, this happened:

That explains it. Subban's game didn't fit in with the Habs' system. It just was not a place where he could be successful.

Eh, Parros is probably the smartest player of the last decade, it's a great hire.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe it has been 5 years. RIP Yaroslavl.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, this happened:

“P.K. is an offensive defenceman and a risk-taker,”

I sent this to a friend yesterday:

WATCH: Everything that went wrong for Shea Weber in Game 7

and he nailed it - "On every one of those goals he was guilty of the "hanging offenses" many always laid against PK. The missed bum hit, going for a hit and getting caught, coughing up the puck, falling for no apparent reason."

The trade makes less sense as time goes on.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"On every one of those goals he was guilty of the "hanging offenses" many always laid against PK. The missed bum hit, going for a hit and getting caught, coughing up the puck, falling for no apparent reason."

Honest to God, I thought this was a synopsis of Phaneuf's game.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why, because he went to an Ivy League school? Means nothing. Why didn't they hire Craig Adams then?

Shrug, every time I've heard him speak, I've been impressed.

What did Parros do to earn a negative reputation in terms of player safety? Yea, he was a fighter/grinder, but a cheap player? I don't seem to remember...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shrug, every time I've heard him speak, I've been impressed.

What did Parros do to earn a negative reputation in terms of player safety? Yea, he was a fighter/grinder, but a cheap player? I don't seem to remember...
I don't think he earned a "negative" rep, per se, it's just weird that they keep appointing enforcers and cheap shot artists to dole out suspensions. With the absolutely shit job the NHL has historically performed this function, especially in recent history, I think fans (and the PA, for that matter) deserve better explanations as to why the people that are being appointed to these roles are qualified to carry out the task at hand.