• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait until Dennis Wideman gets the liaison position between players and officials.

And Garth Snow heads up the goalie pad sizing committee.
snowpads-380x356.jpg

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not understanding the jokes here :-/.

Dude is highly intelligent and wants to contribute positively towards the game. It's not Matt Cooke or Raffi.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude is highly intelligent and wants to contribute positively towards the game. It's not Matt Cooke or Raffi.

I think we're just clowning around (well I am at any rate), I've always liked Parros, he's a well spoken guy and I think he's a good hire.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually makes sense to get the physical players involved, they know better than anybody what's going on in terms of dangerous play. It's like using a mobster to help crack down on the mob.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he earned a "negative" rep, per se, it's just weird that they keep appointing enforcers and cheap shot artists to dole out suspensions. With the absolutely shit job the NHL has historically performed this function, especially in recent history, I think fans (and the PA, for that matter) deserve better explanations as to why the people that are being appointed to these roles are qualified to carry out the task at hand.

If Pierre Turgeon was the head of player safety we might have suspensions every game. I don't mind having the tough guys keep some toughness in the game. You'll never see an explanation for a hire though....as much as that would make sense.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually makes sense to get the physical players involved, they know better than anybody what's going on in terms of dangerous play. It's like using a mobster to help crack down on the mob.
Yeah what you said......

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It just feels a bit hypocritical of the league to hire a guy for a department that's stated mission is to protect players when his entire career was based on hurting other players. I know we'd rather have tougher guys and not candy asses in that role, but he wasn't a "tough" guy he was an enforcer. He was fists. It's not like Shanahan, or someone like Andreychuk or Scott Stevens heading it up.

I'd rather see a player, executive and ref work together on that committee. Get the perspective of the players, the guys who run the teams (and what injuries do to the organizations) and the ref (whose job it is to keep games from becoming donneybrooks). You need more than a player point of view.

If he's intelligent and wants to contribute to the game, great. There has to be a better place for him. Maybe he can head up the commission on looking into what being punched in the face did to Rypien and Probert.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just feels a bit hypocritical of the league to hire a guy for a department that's stated mission is to protect players when his entire career was based on hurting other players. I know we'd rather have tougher guys and not candy asses in that role, but he wasn't a "tough" guy he was an enforcer. He was fists. It's not like Shanahan, or someone like Andreychuk or Scott Stevens heading it up.

I'd rather see a player, executive and ref work together on that committee. Get the perspective of the players, the guys who run the teams (and what injuries do to the organizations) and the ref (whose job it is to keep games from becoming donneybrooks). You need more than a player point of view.

If he's intelligent and wants to contribute to the game, great. There has to be a better place for him. Maybe he can head up the commission on looking into what being punched in the face did to Rypien and Probert.

In the end, an "enforcer's" main goal is to in a sort-of-backwards way, protect the game. Normally a few punches to the head is a lot less damage causing than a knee-to-knee shot or an unsuspecting elbow thrown at 30MPH. It seems to be like your gripe is that you'd prefer a "skill" guy who had some sandpaper as opposed to a guy who made a living fighting, which is certainly a fair stance. I'd take a guy like Parros, who is level-headed and intelligent and can look at it from the eyes of a "protector", without being a brainless meathead version of the type.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end, an "enforcer's" main goal is to in a sort-of-backwards way, protect the game. Normally a few punches to the head is a lot less damage causing than a knee-to-knee shot or an unsuspecting elbow thrown at 30MPH. It seems to be like your gripe is that you'd prefer a "skill" guy who had some sandpaper as opposed to a guy who made a living fighting, which is certainly a fair stance. I'd take a guy like Parros, who is level-headed and intelligent and can look at it from the eyes of a "protector", without being a brainless meathead version of the type.

I will admit that I know very little about George Parros as a person.

But you have to concede that I can't be blamed for assuming him a meathead based on his career on the ice. That role is typically the meathead.

And as long as eloco is not around we can discuss the enforcer role and it's value to the overall game. Which I agree with. I just don't want the typical enforcer making decisions on what is, and is not, a dangerous and harmful play. That's all. If Parros has the capacity to decide for himself what he'd go out and pummel someone for, that's good for him. I was thinking more like a guy such as Jared Boll who is "UNGH KRONK NO LIKE OTHER JERSEY!"

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit that I know very little about George Parros as a person.

But you have to concede that I can't be blamed for assuming him a meathead based on his career on the ice. That role is typically the meathead.

And as long as eloco is not around we can discuss the enforcer role and it's value to the overall game. Which I agree with. I just don't want the typical enforcer making decisions on what is, and is not, a dangerous and harmful play. That's all. If Parros has the capacity to decide for himself what he'd go out and pummel someone for, that's good for him. I was thinking more like a guy such as Jared Boll who is "UNGH KRONK NO LIKE OTHER JERSEY!"

Yea, there's definitely the stereotype (Reading "Boy on Ice" about Boogaard was a really, really (sad) eye opening book about Derek for example...) but George is definitely the exception to the rule. He's a really classy guy.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your new captain of the Nashville Predators - Mr. Underwood.

“It is the right time for Mike to be the captain in our history,” Poile said. “In my mind, he could’ve easily been the captain many times in his career, but this is his time; it’s the perfect fit… In terms of the type of player that Mike is, he’s played over 1,000 games in the National Hockey League, he comes to play every game, he’s respected by his teammates, his coaches, his opponents, referees, and Mike is a guy the players go to when they need something. Whether it be some advice of what to do on the ice, and equally, if not more important, some advice off the ice. This is a perfect fit for our franchise today.”

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your new captain of the Nashville Predators - Mr. Underwood.

“It is the right time for Mike to be the captain in our history,” Poile said. “In my mind, he could’ve easily been the captain many times in his career, but this is his time; it’s the perfect fit… In terms of the type of player that Mike is, he’s played over 1,000 games in the National Hockey League, he comes to play every game, he’s respected by his teammates, his coaches, his opponents, referees, and Mike is a guy the players go to when they need something. Whether it be some advice of what to do on the ice, and equally, if not more important, some advice off the ice. This is a perfect fit for our franchise today.”

Most def a solid choice. Seems a bit weird to me though, given that this is obviously not a long-term appointment. But it's really just a figurehead in today's NHL so really who cares? Nice cherry on the top of his stellar career though.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most def a solid choice. Seems a bit weird to me though, given that this is obviously not a long-term appointment. But it's really just a figurehead in today's NHL so really who cares? Nice cherry on the top of his stellar career though.

Just keeping the "C" warm until Ryan Johansen stops gorging on hamburgers and starts to be a pro.

Kidding, Fisher's a solid guy. Always liked him.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stamkos reportedly asked for $14M from the Leafs

I mean, if this was indeed the ask I'm happy as tits they ducked it.

I think it's possible. The way he apparently left the Leafs meeting and almost immediately instructed his agent to agree a deal with TB makes me think he was blunt about dollars and the Leafs quickly realised it was hopeless and both sides left with a "well, we tried" attitude.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stamkos reportedly asked for $14M from the Leafs

I mean, if this was indeed the ask I'm happy as tits they ducked it.

I think it's possible. The way he apparently left the Leafs meeting and almost immediately instructed his agent to agree a deal with TB makes me think he was blunt about dollars and the Leafs quickly realised it was hopeless and both sides left with a "well, we tried" attitude.

Stamkos is an amazing player, however, I have seen him taken out of many games. If you rough him up a bit he's a completely different player. He's a beast but to be taking up that much of a team's cap he's not worth it.