• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a Ken Campbell article, but it's actually pretty good...It discusses the Habs analytics guy who was let go following the Subban - Weber trade.

‘Analytics hasn’t reached maturity in the NHL yet': Matt Pfeffer | The Hockey News
“There’s nothing wrong with being average in the NHL,” Pfeffer said. “An average NHLer is worth a heck of a lot and that’s what Shea Weber is.”

Not to defend this trade, but that's a pretty dumb thing to say. Maybe it's because stuff like that comes out of his mouth that he got the sack more than his dislike of Subban-for-Weber.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion announced today the club has acquired forward Derick Brassard and a seventh-round draft pick in 2018 from the New York Rangers in exchange for forward Mika Zibanejad and Ottawa’s second-round draft pick in 2018.

I think the Rangers win this trade.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion announced today the club has acquired forward Derick Brassard and a seventh-round draft pick in 2018 from the New York Rangers in exchange for forward Mika Zibanejad and Ottawa’s second-round draft pick in 2018.

I like this trade, so, yeah.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers will trade the draft pick away so it's more a wash to me.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not often that you hear that phrase uttered.

It's more often than you hear someone say "That's a great free agent signing by the Rangers" but still...

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Sens MIGHT get the better of this in the short-term. MIGHT. Zib has been inconsistent and has shown up to camp out of shape twice in a row now. Brassard is probably the better player right now

However, I think Zibanejad figures it out as early as this year and then this trade might look pretty bad for Ottawa. He's a 23 year old who got 51 points last year. I think his upside is greater than Brassard's. Maybe something I don't know here but I'm not a fan of this trade.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brassard is Guy Bouchers guy right ... had him in juniors?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers will trade the draft pick away so it's more a wash to me.
Ya but why is Ottawa giving the draft pick when they're sending the younger, cheaper (right now) talent who is about equal skill and points-wise at the moment with growth potential?

Weird.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya but why is Ottawa giving the draft pick when they're sending the younger, cheaper (right now) talent who is about equal skill and points-wise at the moment with growth potential?

Weird.
The forensic capologist in me see the Rangers paid out all of Brassard's signing bonueses so his contract is cheaper than it appears. Higher cap hit lower actual dollars. The draft pick is kind of surprising though - the fact the Rangers even know what one is and the fact it was a second rounder to boot.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The forensic capologist in me see the Rangers paid out all of Brassard's signing bonueses so his contract is cheaper than it appears. Higher cap hit lower actual dollars. The draft pick is kind of surprising though - the fact the Rangers even know what one is and the fact it was a second rounder to boot.

Exactly. Brass makes slightly less than Zib this year and will ikely make much less (3.5) next year and moving forward. Melnyk's internal budget strikes again. I'm not a huge fan of this trade but I'm OK with it for now because of three things:

1) Brassard is LH. This was an issue for Ottawa's centers with Turris, Zib and Pageau all being righties.

2) Brassard is more of a true center. Zibanejad has a winger's skillset but happens to be a C (not much playmaking). Strangely he never really worked on the wing though. :noidea:

3) I'm pretty sure that this means management is convinced that by the end of Brass's contract Colin White and/or Logan Brown will be ready to play in the top 6. I hope they're right.

I don't like giving up on Zib's potential and I don't like giving up a 2nd rounder (FFS!!) but at least this trade probably makes my team more competitive for the next year or two. And hey!!! We got a 7th rounder out of it!!:L

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have missed it, but what are people's thoughts on the Jamie Benn re-signing in Dallas (8 years with an AAV of $9.5 shmill).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have missed it, but what are people's thoughts on the Jamie Benn re-signing in Dallas (8 years with an AAV of $9.5 shmill).
I think they'll only be paying him and Seguin less than Toews and Kane once Seguin is re-upped and that is a win for the Stars.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile in Calgary, we're still waiting for Johnny Hockey and Moneyhands to sign on the dotted line...

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Getting rid of Brasshole = win

I think the Sens MIGHT get the better of this in the short-term. MIGHT. Zib has been inconsistent and has shown up to camp out of shape twice in a row now. Brassard is probably the better player right now

However, I think Zibanejad figures it out as early as this year and then this trade might look pretty bad for Ottawa. He's a 23 year old who got 51 points last year. I think his upside is greater than Brassard's. Maybe something I don't know here but I'm not a fan of this trade.

Brass has (hopefully) matured some, but when he was here he was constantly bitching about ice time and whether he was the top center. He shared a locker room with Vermette, Fuck Jeff Carter and a rookie Ryan Johansen and was cheesed that he wasn't the de facto #1. And he made so much stink in the room that they eventually traded Vermette, a decision that I think the Jackets regretted terribly (and not just because they got McIlhiney).

And then they moved Nasher and brought in Dubinsky and Brass threw another fit. Locker room Cancer, candy ass who runs from battles, and a general douchebag. He should be playing in Anaheim.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly are the Sens thinking!? Zibanejad is 5 and a half years younger, $2.35 million cheaper and also a RFA after this season. Brassard can walk after three seasons. Then they toss in a 2nd round pick too!?!

The trade is hugely lopsided in favor of the NYR.

Besides, Zibanejad is probably one of the more underrated players in the league.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sens are now sans second round pick for the next two drafts (Leafs have next year's thanks to Celine).

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting rid of Brasshole = win

Brass has (hopefully) matured some, but when he was here he was constantly bitching about ice time and whether he was the top center. He shared a locker room with Vermette, Fuck Jeff Carter and a rookie Ryan Johansen and was cheesed that he wasn't the de facto #1. And he made so much stink in the room that they eventually traded Vermette, a decision that I think the Jackets regretted terribly (and not just because they got McIlhiney).

And then they moved Nasher and brought in Dubinsky and Brass threw another fit. Locker room Cancer, candy ass who runs from battles, and a general douchebag. He should be playing in Anaheim.

Rangers fans don't exactly feel the same way.
LOL at some of these reactions.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly are the Sens thinking!? Zibanejad is 5 and a half years younger, $2.35 million cheaper and also a RFA after this season. Brassard can walk after three seasons. Then they toss in a 2nd round pick too!?!

The trade is hugely lopsided in favor of the NYR.

Besides, Zibanejad is probably one of the more underrated players in the league.

I'm a big fan of Zibby's but if anything he's overrated. His POTENTIAL is through the roof but it's looking less and less likely that he'll reach that (for what it's worth I think he probably will). His inconsistency issues/poor starts to the year have become a problem.

He was also passed on the depth chart last year by J-G Pageau when Turris got hurt. Now that I think of it I would bet that was a big impetus for him being moved. Pageau is a good 3rd line center who can fill in short-term for a 2nd liner.

Also, the Rangers have already paid out 2 Mil this year to Brass so his salary is $3MIL to Zibaneajd's $3.25MIL.
That bonus being paid out is probably the reason for the 2nd round pick. 2nd round picks are kind of meh assets but this kind of cheapness from our owner kind of pisses me off. That's the part of the deal that I don't like the most at this point.