• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Schultz, bad top pair d-man and good third pair d-man, re-signs in Pittsburgh as a good third pair d-man. 1 year/$1.4 mil.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't quite understand what the Caps are doing. I'm all for making no rash or significant changes, but the GM said they wanted more speed and the coach says he wants more production from the bottom 6.

So they let Chimera (the fastest guy on the team and the top scorer in the bottom 6) walk and have replaced him with what speed or scoring depth?

A contender I still think, but don't really understand letting Chimmer's tiny contract go.

Any thoughts on who they should have grabbed? Or still should?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't quite understand what the Caps are doing. I'm all for making no rash or significant changes, but the GM said they wanted more speed and the coach says he wants more production from the bottom 6.

So they let Chimera (the fastest guy on the team and the top scorer in the bottom 6) walk and have replaced him with what speed or scoring depth?

A contender I still think, but don't really understand letting Chimmer's tiny contract go.

I would not be surprised to see Eller have much better numbers on the Caps than he did on the Habs. Talented creative player so of course it didn't work out for the Habs. They had to see how often they could switch him from center to wing, kind of like they are doing with Galchenyuk now. Lars is more physical and hits more than you would think. Plus he is Danish.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't you mean Grabnered?

I'd take a shot at Pirri - I think he's still available but I haven't checked since June.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised to see Eller have much better numbers on the Caps than he did on the Habs. Talented creative player so of course it didn't work out for the Habs. They had to see how often they could switch him from center to wing, kind of like they are doing with Galchenyuk now. Lars is more physical and hits more than you would think. Plus he is Danish.

Cheese or Cherry?

Seriously, thanks for the backgrounder on him, Comeds.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Medline pays the price for not bringing Stamkos to the Leafs
I posted this in the other thread but it seems like a better fit here. Enjoy.

The Eye Test Test

I get it better now, but there's a difference here as well. In a real "eye test," you aren't shown two random teams. You are shown players you are familiar with. If this was a clip of the Caps, I'd know all the answers to the questions and tell you who it was because not only do I know the teams numbers, but just based on body style, mannerisms, stride, I can tell the guys on my team. Most of you probably can as well.

I think their point is that analytics is not based and doesn't have selective observation. I agree with that generally. But I think the "eye test" is valuable, too.

And I don't think this video proves what they think it's trying to prove. It proves that I can't memorize and don't know two teams' rosters I rarely see. Not something a fan of these teams or especially an NHL scout or manager would have a hard time with.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it better now, but there's a difference here as well. In a real "eye test," you aren't shown two random teams. You are shown players you are familiar with. If this was a clip of the Caps, I'd know all the answers to the questions and tell you who it was because not only do I know the teams numbers, but just based on body style, mannerisms, stride, I can tell the guys on my team. Most of you probably can as well.

I think their point is that analytics is not based and doesn't have selective observation. I agree with that generally. But I think the "eye test" is valuable, too.

And I don't think this video proves what they think it's trying to prove. It proves that I can't memorize and don't know two teams' rosters I rarely see. Not something a fan of these teams or especially an NHL scout or manager would have a hard time with.

Keep in mind that you only watched a couple of minutes. Even if it is possible to adequately evaluate players using just the eyeballs it's still going to involve a lot more watching than that, making the process much more challenging. I mean, some (I think probably most?) of the people who swear by the "eye test" aren't just using it for their favourite team/players either, so that's even more shifts/games/seasons we're talking about.

I haven't looked at the comments on the site since I first posted the link but I would assume that the readers of the blog are quite familiar with the Red Wings. Are many of them saying that the questions were easy for them?

I know "my team" very well and watch games very closely with a lifetime of knowledge about hockey and how it's played. And I know and will admit that I miss all kinds of stuff in the process of watching a game. There's just too much going on.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't really think that anyone is saying that it isn't, eloco.