• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems like the same old to me.
I do not know Andrew Shaw at all so I cannot accurately have an opinion on the trade or the the signing. First instinct is I do not like either very much. But no matter what, whenever the Habs sign someone over the summer they always grossly overpay according to people here. Particularly some people here.

Bright side is he will probably be better utilized than Eller was and he is younger. He will probably be the Canadiens 2nd line center - or first if they keep moving Galchenyuk back and forth - or if Galchenyuk ODs on coke.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems like the same old to me.
I do not know Andrew Shaw at all so I cannot accurately have an opinion on the trade or the the signing. First instinct is I do not like either very much. But no matter what, whenever the Habs sign someone over the summer they always grossly overpay according to people here. Particularly some people here.

Bright side is he will probably be better utilized than Eller was and he is younger. He will probably be the Canadiens 2nd line center - or first if they keep moving Galchenyuk back and forth - or if Galchenyuk ODs on coke.

I'm inclined to hate Shaw from the get go because he's very hateable...but I guess my biggest question with the move is: how much better is he than Eller? Don't get me wrong, Eller's time in MTL was done, no matter how well he played moving forward, just seemed like he was never part of the plan. But the Habs essentially traded Lars Eller, two 2nd rounders for Andrew Shaw, two 2nd rounders. So, the two 2nds they gave up were higher, but we'll call that a wash, and this is basically Eller for Shaw. Shaw is two years younger, and is a slight upgrade with points (averages about 8-10pts more in a season), although this year he did have some top line minutes with injuries. There's more to it than this, but for an extra $400k a year (negligible) and 4 added years (ehhhhh...), I'd probably just have kept Eller. Story 1 (8).png

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lars Eller, you mean player 81?!?

/Paul Maclean likes this.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw has shown the ability to use his head and hands in a way that Eller hasn't.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm inclined to hate Shaw from the get go because he's very hateable...but I guess my biggest question with the move is: how much better is he than Eller? Don't get me wrong, Eller's time in MTL was done, no matter how well he played moving forward, just seemed like he was never part of the plan. But the Habs essentially traded Lars Eller, two 2nd rounders for Andrew Shaw, two 2nd rounders. So, the two 2nds they gave up were higher, but we'll call that a wash, and this is basically Eller for Shaw. Shaw is two years younger, and is a slight upgrade with points (averages about 8-10pts more in a season), although this year he did have some top line minutes with injuries. There's more to it than this, but for an extra $400k a year (negligible) and 4 added years (ehhhhh...), I'd probably just have kept Eller. View attachment 132137

From what I hear he goes to the net, besides Gallagher no other regular on the team does that, besides a few youngsters who play sporadically.
I'd be surprised if Shaw is as talented as Eller, but I would be surprised if he is as inconsistent as Eller though I blame Coach T for a lot of that.
I liked Eller, I thought he was grittier than advertised and overall was a good player if not as good as it was thought he was going to be. I hope he does well in DC.

Shaw has shown the ability to use his head and hands in a way that Eller hasn't.
Also homophobic comments.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following tweets are discussing Joe Colborne:

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Dreger/Colborne: "They still feel confident they're going to be able to get him signed to a contract." #Flames

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Dreger/Colborne: "Whatever that term is, the money is going to come in probably between $3.5-4 million per year." Had good arb case.

No way do I want to pay Joe Colborne more than $3 million per season and the most term I would go is 3 years (I would prefer 2 years). I like Joe, but if they can't get him signed, you let him walk on July 1st.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not put a lot of stock in those comparables. Probably because I do not completely understand them.

I got a D in algebra 1 and 2.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay Isles fans, apparently the Flames have reached out to talk to Matt Martin, I need details. I believe he is truculent, so that box is ticked.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay Isles fans, apparently the Flames have reached out to talk to Matt Martin, I need details. I believe he is truculent, so that box is ticked.
He's no Buttercup

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As others have stated on Twitter...meh. The Bruins can only offer the biggest deal since they're missing a bunch of draft picks. Methinks this is Troubas agent leaking info for his client. There's nooooo way the Bruins want to part with four 1sts. This is also one of very few teams that can afford this deal, so just seems really fake to me. That said...Sweeney hasn't instilled a ton of confidence, maybe he really thinks Trouba is worth that. Brings up a good topic: who do you trade four 1sts for? That's a small list to me.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Lucic to Edmonton for 6x6 means they won't be able to afford all of the young'uns soon.
sounds good to me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have stated on Twitter...meh. The Bruins can only offer the biggest deal since they're missing a bunch of draft picks. Methinks this is Troubas agent leaking info for his client. There's nooooo way the Bruins want to part with four 1sts. This is also one of very few teams that can afford this deal, so just seems really fake to me. That said...Sweeney hasn't instilled a ton of confidence, maybe he really thinks Trouba is worth that. Brings up a good topic: who do you trade four 1sts for? That's a small list to me.
Boston drafted 4 firsts in the past two years. Maybe they figure they've got enough in the farm to go after Trouba.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yesterday, Jarmo said pretty foolishly on TSN Radio "If someone wants to put in a crazy high offer sheet for Jones, we'll match it". Careful what you wish for.