• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "Jameis Winston" Superthread

Will Winston Finish the Season For FSU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the by-law:

Title:12.5.2.2 - Use of a Student-Athlete's Name or Picture Without Knowledge or Permission.
If a student-athlete's name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, sweatshirts, serving trays, playing cards, posters) or is used to promote a commercial product sold by an individual or agency without the student-athlete's knowledge or permission, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics. Such steps are not required in cases in which a student-athlete's photograph is sold by an individual or agency (e.g., private photographer, news agency) for private use. (Revised: 1/11/97, 5/12/05)

As for why, who really knows?:noidea: It's the NCAA and they have a lot of stupid rules.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he knows his signature is being used to promote a product even if he does not get paid it is a violation. Only the NCAA and Schools are allowed to profit from that.

And I do not advocate for paying players.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I don't read it that way.

If I tweeted Winston that I was gonna sell an autographed jersey that he signed at a baseball game he's guilty? No.

I read that to say Walmart can't sell a T-shirt with Winston's name or face on it.

Nebraska fall camp opens up with autograph sessions the day before. Pretty much every big school does it. "Run of the Gumps" etc..

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What product is being promoted?

It's not like it's a Ford or McDonalds commercial.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I don't read it that way.

If I tweeted Winston that I was gonna sell an autographed jersey that he signed at a baseball game he's guilty? No.

I read that to say Walmart can't sell a T-shirt with Winston's name or face on it.

Nebraska fall camp opens up with autograph sessions the day before. Pretty much every big school does it. "Run of the Gumps" etc..

Doesn't matter how you read it or whether you and I agree with it. It's how the NCAA interprets it and it is considered to be promoting commercial items and therefore against NCAA rules. Doesn't matter if it's Wal-Mart or some collectibles seller. It's still a commercial item.

The punishment isn't as harsh as if he gets paid, but it's still a violation and still punishable.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter how you read it or whether you and I agree with it. It's how the NCAA interprets it and it is considered to be promoting commercial items and therefore against NCAA rules. Doesn't matter if it's Wal-Mart or some collectibles seller. It's still a commercial item.

The punishment isn't as harsh as if he gets paid, but it's still a violation and still punishable.

So why was nothing done to JFF or Texas A&M?

It says their "institution" is just as responsible to put a stop to it.

There is nothing Winston or FSU can do to me for selling a mini-helmet that he signed for me.

Nothing.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought pleading ignorance made everything ok. Just ask CamCam

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why was nothing done to JFF or Texas A&M?

It says their "institution" is just as responsible to put a stop to it.

There is nothing Winston or FSU can do to me for selling a mini-helmet that he signed for me.

Nothing.

Actually, JFF was suspended for a half or something. Also, there's a difference between him signing a mini-helmet for you and signing over 900 items for you and all of those items ending up for sale.

I don't agree with it. But it's the NCAA's rule whether I agree with it or not.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, JFF was suspended for a half or something. Also, there's a difference between him signing a mini-helmet for you and signing over 900 items for you and all of those items ending up for sale.

I don't agree with it. But it's the NCAA's rule whether I agree with it or not.

Yeah. I think A&M made a deal with the NCAA for him to sit for one half.

Looks like FSU is all in on it. Jimbo's saying prove it.

FSU might do something if they lose a game, but if they keep winning I bet he keeps playing.

I'd assume Winston and FSU have sent cease and desist letters to everybody trying to sell a Winston signed mini-helmet or jersey on E-Bay. I assume they've sent the same to E-Bay, because they're profiting off the sales as well.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo is a pro, an HOFer, and an icon. This idiot kid has played 1 season of college football - but thinks he has nothing to learn.

:bullshit:

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he is to be quiet which brings speculation. Or say something and get speculation. Whether he speaks or stays quiet he is screwed.

He should stay quiet. Words can't come back to haunt you if you don't say them in the first place.

He's gonna make FSU go back to having to write statements for him.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has had more virtuous men than Bo talk to him. He should not be upset that he has not heeded his advice.
More virtuous perhaps. but how many two-sport, Heisman winners, from his home town? Bo would be a good person for Jameis to listen to. But alas. He skrong.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston is a straight up piece of shit and Jumbo Fisher is painting himself into a corner. Yea I understand wanting to win but not at that cost. It's embarrassing to watch a grown man totally whore himself out to a trophy. Gotta be more to life than that and FSU is heading toward learning that lesson the hard way.

They know that sanctions are coming and all the decision makers are going to get fired anyway so why not get as much cash as you can? The "higher ground" thing went out the window a long time ago.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They know that sanctions are coming and all the decision makers are going to get fired anyway so why not get as much cash as you can? The "higher ground" thing went out the window a long time ago.

You're including the president too, right?

He's the man in charge.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is interesting how the last few days many people have been praising his ability to "compartmentalize" , which I guess means he's still able to play at a high level when he has done so many stupid things and it is blatantly obvious that he is lying about the autograph thing. My question is Doesn't that make him a psychopath? Aaron Hernandez was good at compartmentalizing things too. He could off a guy who pissed him off here and there and still make 5 or 6 catches a game. It seems like no matter how great he is on the field eventually he will do something that keeps him from playing