• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Harbaugh Will Not Save michigan Thread

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he may be teetering on the edge of being Top 5, maybe, but "greatness"??? Never going to happen. He just doesn't seem to have it in him. In a down year for the B1G East, he could pull off an 11 or 12 win season and maybe even a Conf Title, but he'll never get them a Natl Title.

I think he's more suited for the NFL. By the end of his 4th season in ann arbor I thought he would have accomplished more. But some meeeechegan fans will insist he just needs more time.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan still only has five 11+ win seasons since 1906.

Ohio State has seven 11+ win seasons just under Meyer.

Michigan has only two 12+ win seasons in school history.

Ohio State has six 12+ win seasons under Meyer.

That is a little misleading considering for the VAST majority of the Big Ten's history as a conference, it's fb teams only played 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 games.

So you discount Michigan's many 11-14 win seasons from 1899-1905.

And current or recent success is always more relevant or "special" if you might say, and so you are taking advantage of OSU's doing good right now while Michigan's struggling a little in comparison. Which is fine, and OSU fans have earned the right to rub their recent success in Michigan fans faces, lol. But still got to point some of these things out.

Because I think several of Minnesota's 8 win seasons are FAR MORE SIGNIFICANT than some of OSU's 11 and even 12 win seasons, since those 8 win seasons were undefeated Natl Title winning seasons.

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's 100% accurate. I saw it tweeted out yesterday by some ESPN guy. In 4 seasons Harbaugh is 38-14. OSU is 47-6 in that span. Penn State is 36-17 in that span.

It might be easier to try and list more than 6 other teams who've had a better four year span. Off the top of my head I'd guess Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, OSU, OU and...maybe Washington are the top 6. Michigan comes in at 7.

I can't begrudge a fan having optimism, but it takes some mental gymnastics to say UM has been a top 6 or 7 team in Harbaugh's tenure.

There are 6 B1G teams that have won their division and played for a conference title in that time. Objectively, that's achieving more than UM has. Though I'll grant you UM would have done he same at least a couple times if they played in the West division.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just can't keep sitting there acting like things are going to change or get better. We're at the end of year 4, and it's yet another 3+ loss season, this one complete with an embarrassing bowl loss. When will the time come when they realize they have all the attributes of a top-end program minus the head coach?
Two thoughts and a question:

First, the question...why are you so concerned? Seriously I would like to know

Thought #1: Yes, he has overstayed his welcome. For $9 million a year (salary+annuity) he should be beating rivals, stockpiling talent, and competing for national titles now. He is not.

Thought #2: David Ross owns the Dolphins. He was one of the major players in bringing Harbaugh back to Ann Arbor and kicked in a lot of his own cash. The Dolphins are not keen on Adam Gase and he will be gone sometime next year. Harbaugh is the next coach of the Dolphins.

Bonus thought: His refusal to adapt to the college game and not having a clearly defined offensive scheme are major reasons for mediocrity.

Last edited:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't begrudge a fan having optimism, but it takes some mental gymnastics to say UM has been a top 6 or 7 team in Harbaugh's tenure.

There are 6 B1G teams that have won their division and played for a conference title in that time. Objectively, that's achieving more than UM has. Though I'll grant you UM would have done he same at least a couple times if they played in the West division.
Are you saying that what northwestern did this year was better than what Michigan did because they won the garbage west?

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two thoughts and a question:

First, the question...why are you so concerned? Seriously I would like to know

Thought #1: Yes, he has overstayed his welcome. For $9 million a year (salary+annuity) he should be beating rivals, stockpiling talent, and competing for national titles now. He is not.

Thought #2: David Ross owns the Dolphins. He was one of the major players in bringing Harbaugh back to Ann Arbor and kicked in a lot of his own cash. The Dolphins are not keen on Dirk Koetter and he will be gone sometime next year. Harbaugh is the next coach of the Dolphins.

Bonus thought: His refusal to adapt to the college game and not having a clearly defined offensive scheme are major reasons for mediocrity.

Koetter coaches the Bucs.

But they aren't fond of him either.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, you are partially right, but many of those same teams had sort of a roller coaster ride over that same time period. MSU had at least one down year that cut into their win total.

I mean, just as an example, over a 4 year period, 2 teams could have seasons like this...

Team A = 10-3, 11-2, 11-2, 6-7

Team B = 9-4, 10-3, 10-3, 10-3

Team A has a total of 38 wins. Team B has 39. So Team A had a better season 3 of the 4 years, but Team B still won more games. LOL, that is the manipulative way that Michigan fans are claiming Top 7 status. It's legit, depending on how you look at things.

Team C = 13-0, 11-2, 8-5, 6-7 equals only 38 wins as well, but includes a Natl Title. Most people would prefer to be fans of Team C, then Team A, not Team B, because despite having more wins overall, Team B was still nothing special

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you are partially right, but many of those same teams had sort of a roller coaster ride over that same time period. MSU had at least one down year that cut into their win total.

I mean, just as an example, over a 4 year period, 2 teams could have seasons like this...

Team A = 10-3, 11-2, 11-2, 6-7

Team B = 9-4, 10-3, 10-3, 10-3

Team A has a total of 38 wins. Team B has 39. So Team A had a better season 3 of the 4 years, but Team B still won more games. LOL, that is the manipulative way that Michigan fans are claiming Top 7 status. It's legit, depending on how you look at things.

Team C = 13-0, 11-2, 8-5, 6-7 equals only 38 wins as well, but includes a Natl Title. Most people would prefer to be fans of Team C, then Team A, not Team B, because despite having more wins overall, Team B was still nothing special

Yep, and I'm sure most fanbases would love to have the rollercoaster ride that Auburn or FSU had if it included the natty that those schools had recently.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One day Fred ... you may be there ....

Gopher's were Top 7 All-Time all the way into the 80's I bet. But outside of the Lou Holts years, the 80's and early 90's pummeled our historic reputation. 2005 to 2013 didn't help much either. And all Glen Mason did was slow our dropping way way down.

But in Fleck I trust, Ski-U-Mah, Row the Boat Baby!!!

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying that what northwestern did this year was better than what Michigan did because they won the garbage west?

I'll say it ... Northwestern made it to the dance ... we didn't. That said; Why is everybody worried worried about who our head coach is?

I will support anyone who is the head coach of Michigan ... Michigan is where my loyalty is.

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same conference record and played for a title.

If a division needs to be garbage for UM to win it, you aren't where you need to be. This will be looked at as a wasted year for every B1G team other than OSU because it will never be easier to win the B1G or the East.

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say it ... Northwestern made it to the dance ... we didn't. That said; Why is everybody worried worried about who our head coach is?

I will support anyone who is the head coach of Michigan ... Michigan is where my loyalty is.

As you should. At least with Harbaugh it's never boring.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They did, but not because they were a great team but because all of the B10's talent is in one division. Harbaugh got crucified for an 8-5 season, where NW won their division with an 8-5 season. Wins and losses mean something. And in that area, what harbaugh has done at Michigan is stupendous. We're winning a hell of a lot of games. We just need to start winning the big ones.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same conference record and played for a title.

If a division needs to be garbage for UM to win it, you aren't where you need to be. This will be looked at as a wasted year for every B1G team other than OSU because it will never be easier to win the B1G or the East.
We had all 3 rivalry games away and get all of them at home next year. OSU is sans Meyer and MSU is losing what little talent they had. PSU is losing a generational QB. I'd argue that next year should actually be significantly easier for us to hit that mark.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on who comes and goes, next season looks to be a rebuilding year, relatively speaking. The defense will probably take a step back and the offense will probably be similar to this year. I think they have good WR's, but when you have a Harbaugh calling the plays it doesn't matter.

Yeah they'll be reloading in the defensive line. The secondary should be good with Metallus and Hill returning, Long could could also be coming back.

Really wish there was more throwing and tempo on offense. ugh. This might be the best group of receivers they've had since Arrington/Manningham/Breaston, and they could also have Gentry back. would also love to see Evans utilizied in the passing game more.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had all 3 rivalry games away and get all of them at home next year. OSU is sans Meyer and MSU is losing what little talent they had. PSU is losing a generational QB. I'd argue that next year should actually be significantly easier for us to hit that mark.

Michigan may have a banner year next year, with the East being down. But keep thinking all the talent is in the East, like it's a permanent thing and next year a Western team may upset your Wolverines.

Nebraska, Minnesota & Wisconsin should all be significantly better next year. NW could be as well. Don't know about the other 3.

For the short term, the B1G Champ will probably still come out of the East, but the West is improving.

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, hoping for a garbage division? The fact that it's the source of your hope is telling. I doubt you'll face half your schedule with an injured starting QB next year either, that made this year a bit easier for you.

Who are these many MSU departures you speak of? We had a ton of starters back from last year, but a majority missed major time with injuries.

The most significant departure would be or OC, God willing that happens. I can't root for my team to play poorly but I'd choose putting up 0 points tomorrow if that brings change.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So is next year Revenge Tour 2.0?

But why does Michigan have to wait to beat teams when they are down rather than when they are their best?