• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2018 Recruiting Thread

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly are you referencing in saying PSU has problems getting recruits because of their jerseys? You're making the assumption, but it doesn't have any substance. Oklahoma's uniforms are boring and they still have elite kids. Notre Dame has been the same basically for decades and they have no problems. Is PSU any less flashy than Alabama, Auburn, or Texas A&M? It's a baseless point.

I know weather goes into the decision-making process, but when you're having success it matters a lot less.

That OSU win was huge. It speaks volumes when a kid sees an enormous stadium completely full and loud as hell to knock off a top 2 team nationally. You made the point about quality over quantity. That was without question one of the biggest wins any team had last year. Then they beat #6 Wisconsin. That's two huge wins in one season. You think kids are gonna care about wins from 3-4 years ago?

One Ray Lewis is worth a lot, sure. How about guys like Paul Pozslusney, NaVarro Bowman, Tamba Ali, and Allen Robinson? Those are just off the top of my head, and all have made recent Pro Bowls. They're nowhere near the level of Bama, OSU, FSU, or LSU, but they're hardly slouches.

I think you're making a LOT of sweeping assumptions about what is important to kids today. PSU is absolutely on the upswing. Franklin is young and exciting as a head coach. They're putting guys in the pros and their team now is stacked and is poised to start the year in the top 10 nationally. They've been routinely pulling in top 15-20 classes in recent years with minimal success, why would they not be able to recruit better with more success on the field?

They've only had 2 guys drafted in the 1st round in the last decade. That's rather startling. But Penn State is such a unique case(not trying to be insensitive, I'm not not sure of another word to use) with everything that's gone on at the University, it's put a black cloud over the entire football program.

I just think it's going to be another 3-4 years before they can even entertain the thought of bringing in a top 5 -7 class.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've only had 2 guys drafted in the 1st round in the last decade. That's rather startling. But Penn State is such a unique case(not trying to be insensitive, I'm not not sure of another word to use) with everything that's gone on at the University, it's put a black cloud over the entire football program.

I just think it's going to be another 3-4 years before they can even entertain the thought of bringing in a top 5 -7 class.
I'd be shocked if they completely fell out of the top 10 this year. Not sure what happened with this Fields kid. He said he's still got PSU in his final list but who knows. If they go out this year and have another successful, top 10 finish sort of year, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a top 10 class in 2019, and it could also give them a big boost for 2018.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if they completely fell out of the top 10 this year. Not sure what happened with this Fields kid. He said he's still got PSU in his final list but who knows. If they go out this year and have another successful, top 10 finish sort of year, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a top 10 class in 2019, and it could also give them a big boost for 2018.

They might be able to finish 10th or so. But that will only be because of Franklin IMO. It won't be because of the program or University.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might be able to finish 10th or so. But that will only be because of Franklin IMO. It won't be because of the program or University.
Well, yeah. That was a main crux of my argument. Kids like playing for young, energetic coaches. Franklin fits that bill.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah. That was a main crux of my argument. Kids like playing for young, energetic coaches. Franklin fits that bill.

Right, I'm just saying, they could go out and have another top 10 finish in 2017, but I don't think that type of success will "sell" kids on PSU. As of right now the program doesn't offer much as far as what kids are looking for, except for Franklin.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, I'm just saying, they could go out and have another top 10 finish in 2017, but I don't think that type of success will "sell" kids on PSU. As of right now the program doesn't offer much as far as what kids are looking for, except for Franklin.
To be fair, what does any program offer outside of the head coach? What program is recruiting well without a head coach that has demonstrated success at this level? If anything, I'd argue Penn State has the least successful coach of any team in the top 10 of the current recruiting rankings.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, what does any program offer outside of the head coach? What program is recruiting well without a head coach that has demonstrated success at this level? If anything, I'd argue Penn State has the least successful coach of any team in the top 10 of the current recruiting rankings.

I'm just saying as far as what kids are concerned with. PSU hasn't(at least in the last decade) put elite players into the NFL. They don't have a recent track record of success(until last year), location isn't ideal, and there's still a cloud over the program and University in general.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying as far as what kids are concerned with. PSU hasn't(at least in the last decade) put elite players into the NFL. They don't have a recent track record of success(until last year), location isn't ideal, and there's still a cloud over the program and University in general.
The cloud seems to be dissipating at least. I don't think it's as important to the upcoming classes as it was a few years ago. They underwent a complete overhaul of everyone involved. Besides, the NCAA sanctions are through with.

Who has Miami put into the NFL recently? The best Miami player in the last 5 years is... Duke Johnson? They have the current #1 class. I know they obviously have the location in their favor, but why should this team have the #1 class? I'd argue that Pozslusney and Bowman are elite, just not at a sexy position. Robinson was a stud a couple years ago, and would've been better with a better QB this past year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cloud seems to be dissipating at least. I don't think it's as important to the upcoming classes as it was a few years ago. They underwent a complete overhaul of everyone involved. Besides, the NCAA sanctions are through with.

Who has Miami put into the NFL recently? The best Miami player in the last 5 years is... Duke Johnson? They have the current #1 class. I know they obviously have the location in their favor, but why should this team have the #1 class? I'd argue that Pozslusney and Bowman are elite, just not at a sexy position. Robinson was a stud a couple years ago, and would've been better with a better QB this past year.

Being close to the situation, there still is a cloud over the program and University. The sanctions might have come and gone, and for football purposes that is good, but it's going take another 3/4 years for it to be put on the back burner. It's just still too raw right now and they aren't fully recovered from it, at least publicly.

Miami has put 5 guys in the first round in the last decade, compared to Penn State's two. I wasn't talking about what a player has done once in the league, just as a factory in terms of getting there. With that said, Miami hasn't been great either, but they have a lot more going for them than Penn State does.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being close to the situation, there still is a cloud over the program and University. The sanctions might have come and gone, and for football purposes that is good, but it's going take another 3/4 years for it to be put on the back burner. It's just still too raw right now and they aren't fully recovered from it, at least publicly.

Miami has put 5 guys in the first round in the last decade, compared to Penn State's two. I wasn't talking about what a player has done once in the league, just as a factory in terms of getting there. With that said, Miami hasn't been great either, but they have a lot more going for them than Penn State does.
Is 3 guys over the course of a decade really anything?

I've never said PSU is a recruiting juggernaut, but they're on the upswing with a young, talented coach. Look at the talent on this team this year. Unless they somehow completely fall flat on their face, there's nothing to suggest they can't start pulling in regular top 10 classes. They're still 5th right now after losing the #4 overall prospect, and they're currently the favorites for another 7-9 guys ranked 4* by 247. That would easily put them in the top 10. They've had 3 straight classes ranked top 20 with two being ranked 15th, and that's after going 6 straight years with single digit wins.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is 3 guys over the course of a decade really anything?

I've never said PSU is a recruiting juggernaut, but they're on the upswing with a young, talented coach. Look at the talent on this team this year. Unless they somehow completely fall flat on their face, there's nothing to suggest they can't start pulling in regular top 10 classes. They're still 5th right now after losing the #4 overall prospect, and they're currently the favorites for another 7-9 guys ranked 4* by 247. That would easily put them in the top 10. They've had 3 straight classes ranked top 20 with two being ranked 15th, and that's after going 6 straight years with single digit wins.

No, 3 players isn't that big of a deal as I stated. But Miami has a lot more advantages. Franklin is a heck of a recruiter, no doubt. I just think there's a ceiling as to how many elite kids he can get because of the cloud over the program that still exists. That and location, were my main two points, them not putting guys into the NFL was on the back burner.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State has been fairly inconsistent in recruiting since the Rivals/Scout ERA (2002)

They've had some good classes but they've also had some classes that weren't even in the top 30. A few of these due to the Sandusky stuff, but even Joe Pa had a few years where the classes ranked in the 30-50 range.

They aren't the worst by any means but they also arent anywhere near the best. Middle of the road (By power 5 standards) with potential to land really big time players here and there is what i'd say about them recruiting wise.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly are you referencing in saying PSU has problems getting recruits because of their jerseys? You're making the assumption, but it doesn't have any substance. Oklahoma's uniforms are boring and they still have elite kids. Notre Dame has been the same basically for decades and they have no problems. Is PSU any less flashy than Alabama, Auburn, or Texas A&M? It's a baseless point.

I know weather goes into the decision-making process, but when you're having success it matters a lot less.

That OSU win was huge. It speaks volumes when a kid sees an enormous stadium completely full and loud as hell to knock off a top 2 team nationally. You made the point about quality over quantity. That was without question one of the biggest wins any team had last year. Then they beat #6 Wisconsin. That's two huge wins in one season. You think kids are gonna care about wins from 3-4 years ago?

One Ray Lewis is worth a lot, sure. How about guys like Paul Pozslusney, NaVarro Bowman, Tamba Ali, and Allen Robinson? Those are just off the top of my head, and all have made recent Pro Bowls. They're nowhere near the level of Bama, OSU, FSU, or LSU, but they're hardly slouches.

I think you're making a LOT of sweeping assumptions about what is important to kids today. PSU is absolutely on the upswing. Franklin is young and exciting as a head coach. They're putting guys in the pros and their team now is stacked and is poised to start the year in the top 10 nationally. They've been routinely pulling in top 15-20 classes in recent years with minimal success, why would they not be able to recruit better with more success on the field?
Why are you struggling in grasping this so hard?

I'm not taking PSU specifically in this instance. You said "why wouldn't a recruit want to go to PSU" and there are a variety of reasons.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we even arguing about this? In the grand scheme, who cares? :pound:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not taking PSU specifically in this instance. You said "why wouldn't a recruit want to go to PSU" and there are a variety of reasons.
I'm grasping it, I just don't think it's valid. You can pick apart damn near every program in the country in regards to why a recruit wouldn't wanna go there outside of like OSU, Bama, Clemson and FSU.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm grasping it, I just don't think it's valid. You can pick apart damn near every program in the country in regards to why a recruit wouldn't wanna go there outside of like OSU, Bama, Clemson and FSU.

Exactly. In today's recruiting game it's impossible to say "there's no reason a recruit wouldn't want to be there"

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what happened with this Fields kid. He said he's still got PSU in his final list but who knows. If they go out this year and have another successful, top 10 finish sort of year, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a top 10 class in 2019, and it could also give them a big boost for 2018.

Many, if not most folks have a pretty good idea what happened with Justin Fields decommitting from Penn State......

The employment status of PSU Offensive Coordinator Joe Moorhead.

Joe Moorhead did a masterful job of turning around the Penn State program in one year!

James Franklin struggled his first two years at PSU, especially on offense... the Nittany Lions sucked on offense. Some folks were even saying Franklin was on the verge of being on the hotseat! Franklin had to shake-up the coaching staff, pronto! In a brilliant move, Franklin hired Joe Moorhead as offensive coordinator.

Many folks believe Moorhead is going to get a head coaching gig..... soon. That is definitely a big factor in recruiting top-notch offensive talent to Penn State. Moorhead simply could not promise Justin Fields that he would be at PSU to coach him.

Will Penn State revert offensively after Moorhead leaves? Remember, the PSU offense sucked prior to Moorheads arrival!

Kids pay attention to coaches' employment status.... that's a huge factor in a recruits decision. Weather and uniforms?? Come on man.... those things are minutiae compared with who is coaching.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma looking at two commits this week possibly. Not sure who but one is supposed to be a big one.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum is apparently on flip watch.