• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2018 Recruiting Thread

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, things just got interesting for Oklahomas recruiting.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out WHY any 5 star would choose to go to Penn State to begin with. Or why ANY recruit would willingly go to Baylor.

To each their own I guess.......
Penn State has a talented, young coach coming off a Rose Bowl birth and conference title that also plays in one of the largest stadiums in the world, and happens to be just below blue blood status. What's not to understand?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out WHY any 5 star would choose to go to Penn State to begin with.

To each their own I guess.......

Wasn't he like a 3* when he committed?

It's been pretty widely expected he decommit ever since his recruitment started blowing up

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State has a talented, young coach coming off a Rose Bowl birth and conference title that also plays in one of the largest stadiums in the world, and happens to be just below blue blood status. What's not to understand?

Child r*pe cover-ups
Boring uniforms
Mediocre weather
Limited to virtually no on-field success during the life of a 17-18 year old kid
Few big-time NFL players during the life of a 17-18 year old kid

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, Penn State usually recruits fairly decently.

Definitely not on the level of the Ohio State, Bama and Florida State's of the world. but they put up at least top 15-20 range classes somewhat consistently.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Child r*pe cover-ups
Boring uniforms
Mediocre weather
Limited to virtually no on-field success during the life of a 17-18 year old kid

I don't think the "BIG TIME NFL PLAYERS" thing is as big as people think. I mean it doesn't hurt but It's really all about getting drafted and getting that money, if a school proves it can get you that that attracts recruits.

This is from last year

LSU leads colleges with most alums on Week 1 NFL rosters

But in week 1 Penn State had the 10th most players on a NFL roster.

I mean, Miami still reels in top recruits and they havent won dog shit for well over a decade. But they do put players in the league.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the "BIG TIME NFL PLAYERS" thing is as big as people think. I mean it doesn't hurt but It's really all about getting drafted and getting that money, if a school proves it can get you that that attracts recruits.

This is from last year

LSU leads colleges with most alums on Week 1 NFL rosters

But in week 1 Penn State had the 10th most players on a NFL roster.

I mean, Miami still reels in top recruits and they havent won dog shit for well over a decade. But they do put players in the league.

I lived next to, and and became pretty good friends with a multi-year all-ACC olineman at VT who was from GA. If you asked him what initially turned him on to VT, his answer was "Mike Vick."

Quality > Quantity for 16 and 17 year old kids. Kids going to Miami can look at the NFL and see a slew of pro-bowlers who went to Miami.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived next to, and and became pretty good friends with a multi-year all-ACC olineman at VT who was from GA. If you asked him what initially turned him on to VT, his answer was "Mike Vick."

Quality > Quantity for 16 and 17 year old kids. Kids going to Miami can look at the NFL and see a slew of pro-bowlers who went to Miami.

It depends on the kid I guess. There's no exact science to recruiting

UCLA has thrown together some pretty good classes in the last few years, landing some big time guys. And they had really been rather mediocre performance wise and NFL production wise. Just for example. There's a million different situations.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on the kid I guess. There's no exact science to recruiting

UCLA has thrown together some pretty good classes in the last few years, landing some big time guys. And they had really been rather mediocre performance wise and NFL production wise. Just for example. There's a million different situations.

Everyone has their sales pitch. UCLA can sell location, weather, and chicks a hell of a lot more than Penn St can. Even the blue bloods have their negatives.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Jaqualyn Crawford is now visiting Texas this weekend after this news. He was supposedly a silent commit to OU.

Not sure why he'd come to Texas tho.......I don't think there's anyway to fit him into our class. Too many other kids at his position.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Jaqualyn Crawford is now visiting Texas this weekend after this news. He was supposedly a silent commit to OU.

Not sure why he'd come to Texas tho.......I don't think there's anyway to fit him into our class. Too many other kids at his position.

The 247 guys who predicted him to the dirt burglars this week have to be banging their heads against the wall.

This will be fun to see how their class works out.

Brey Walker is a great wrestler. I wonder how he would feel about being a 2 sport athlete at a legendary wrestling program.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guard and black dewd who liked to hunt, fish, and listen to kuntry musik?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 247 guys who predicted him to the dirt burglars this week have to be banging their heads against the wall.

This will be fun to see how their class works out.

Brey Walker is a great wrestler. I wonder how he would feel about being a 2 sport athlete at a legendary wrestling program.

Lol. No.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Brey Walker isn't leaving the OU class. That kid has more or less been committed for 2 years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Child r*pe cover-ups
Boring uniforms
Mediocre weather
The PSU uniforms are routinely rated as some of the best in college football. If that's all that mattered, Oregon would have top 5 classes every year.

Weather? Pretty sure that idea has been put to bed as being such a major factor considering how teams like OSU, ND and michigan are able to pull kids from warm weather places all over the country.

Virtually no on-field success? They just won the B1G. Since 2000, they have a better winning percentage than Notre Dame, Tennessee, Stanford, UCLA, Ole Miss, and Washington, among others, and those programs have no problem recruiting at a high level.

They have done a fine job of putting players in the NFL. Hell, their team this year is loaded with NFL talent.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Brey Walker isn't leaving the OU class. That kid has more or less been committed for 2 years.
Yeah but you know that kid has probably had his phone ringing off the hook in the last 18 hours.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PSU uniforms are routinely rated as some of the best in college football. If that's all that mattered, Oregon would have top 5 classes every year.

Weather? Pretty sure that idea has been put to bed as being such a major factor considering how teams like OSU, ND and michigan are able to pull kids from warm weather places all over the country.

Virtually no on-field success? They just won the B1G. Since 2000, they have a better winning percentage than Notre Dame, Tennessee, Stanford, UCLA, Ole Miss, and Washington, among others, and those programs have no problem recruiting at a high level.

They have done a fine job of putting players in the NFL. Hell, their team this year is loaded with NFL talent.

You're thinking like an adult, not a 15 or 16 year old kid.

Uniforms DO matter. The brand on the uniform matters. PSU uniforms look great to my dad and the dudes writing Bleacher Report articles, but kids like the flash.

Just because they 'get guys' doesn't mean it's not something that doesn't go into their decision making process. There's a multi-page thread on PSUs 247 site now about "is recruiting in the south worth it?" Because they know for the most part, guys from the south like that weather. It matters.

Win % matters less than winning big time games, winning your conference, winning big bowl games. Aside from beating OSU, what are PSUs 5 biggest wins over the last 5-7 years? A higher winning % than Ole Miss, TN, or Washington since 2000?? Not super impressive since many of those teams haven't been good since then.

As I said with NFL talent, quality > quantity. One Ray Lewis is worth a whole lot more to the look of a school than a team of Matt McGloins.

You can fight it however you like, but it's easy to find flaws in basically any school. Just approaching recruiting with the attitude of "why WOULDNT someone want to go to PSU" is ignorant.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're thinking like an adult, not a 15 or 16 year old kid.

Uniforms DO matter. The brand on the uniform matters. PSU uniforms look great to my dad and the dudes writing Bleacher Report articles, but kids like the flash.

Just because they 'get guys' doesn't mean it's not something that doesn't go into their decision making process. There's a multi-page thread on PSUs 247 site now about "is recruiting in the south worth it?" Because they know for the most part, guys from the south like that weather. It matters.

Win % matters less than winning big time games, winning your conference, winning big bowl games. Aside from beating OSU, what are PSUs 5 biggest wins over the last 5-7 years? A higher winning % than Ole Miss, TN, or Washington since 2000?? Not super impressive since many of those teams haven't been good since then.

As I said with NFL talent, quality > quantity. One Ray Lewis is worth a whole lot more to the look of a school than a team of Matt McGloins.

You can fight it however you like, but it's easy to find flaws in basically any school. Just approaching recruiting with the attitude of "why WOULDNT someone want to go to PSU" is ignorant.
What exactly are you referencing in saying PSU has problems getting recruits because of their jerseys? You're making the assumption, but it doesn't have any substance. Oklahoma's uniforms are boring and they still have elite kids. Notre Dame has been the same basically for decades and they have no problems. Is PSU any less flashy than Alabama, Auburn, or Texas A&M? It's a baseless point.

I know weather goes into the decision-making process, but when you're having success it matters a lot less.

That OSU win was huge. It speaks volumes when a kid sees an enormous stadium completely full and loud as hell to knock off a top 2 team nationally. You made the point about quality over quantity. That was without question one of the biggest wins any team had last year. Then they beat #6 Wisconsin. That's two huge wins in one season. You think kids are gonna care about wins from 3-4 years ago?

One Ray Lewis is worth a lot, sure. How about guys like Paul Pozslusney, NaVarro Bowman, Tamba Ali, and Allen Robinson? Those are just off the top of my head, and all have made recent Pro Bowls. They're nowhere near the level of Bama, OSU, FSU, or LSU, but they're hardly slouches.

I think you're making a LOT of sweeping assumptions about what is important to kids today. PSU is absolutely on the upswing. Franklin is young and exciting as a head coach. They're putting guys in the pros and their team now is stacked and is poised to start the year in the top 10 nationally. They've been routinely pulling in top 15-20 classes in recent years with minimal success, why would they not be able to recruit better with more success on the field?