• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "2014 NFL Draft" Thread

DK7000

Busting Posey's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Board opinion of Carr is really, really low. Honestly, I think the Hoop is on to something.

I think people just associate him with his brother and they automatically think he's going to be a bust. Carr will be the best QB out of the bunch.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people just associate him with his brother and they automatically think he's going to be a bust. Carr will be the best QB out of the bunch.
Well, you've seen him more than most. I think people are putting more weight on the USC game than the rest of his body of work. That in addition to the bulk of his numbers coming off the screen game.

DK7000

Busting Posey's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you've seen him more than most. I think people are putting more weight on the USC game than the rest of his body of work. That in addition to the bulk of his numbers coming off the screen game.

He has arm, accuracy and leadership to be an elite QB. His footwork and how he handles pressure need to improve if he wants to be an elite QB. With his work ethic and the right QB coach, he could be dangerous. Personally, I hope he falls to the 2nd round and the Rams take him, but that's a pipedream.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I hope he falls to the 2nd round and the Rams take him, but that's a pipedream.
It could certainly happen though I think the 'stockpile a 1st for next year' scenario is more likely.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Carr. His brother David could've been a lot better than he ended up to be. He was stuck in a horrible situation with a horrible coaching staff. He honestly did a lot better than most QBs would've done. By the time the Texans had given up on him, it was too late for him. So I think unless Derek ends up on the Jags, he'll do great.

GoldenTate

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Texans were smart they would trade down, but they aren't smart.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its also extremely difficult to trade out of the top spot

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. Bridgewater could be the guy or he could be the bust. Trading they could ge more picks, but Clowney is the guy of the draft---special player. He is the best player in this draft. The Texans depending on if they get one earlier can still pick up a Carr or late rounder who could be a good starter for know or backup.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see how picking Clowney would help the Texans when their defensive line/pass rushers are already the best part of their team.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see how picking Clowney would help the Texans when their defensive line/pass rushers are already the best part of their team.

If you think Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel are franchise QB's that can change the team pick them. But if they aren't, what is the difference bewteen picking up a FA or drafting a guy later and paying him much less. But for me it is more about 1 great player that can change a game at his position and they will have 2 of them on the d-line. They can't double team both of them.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel are franchise QB's that can change the team pick them. But if they aren't, what is the difference bewteen picking up a FA or drafting a guy later and paying him much less. But for me it is more about 1 great player that can change a game at his position and they will have 2 of them on the d-line. They can't double team both of them.

I understand that, but you have to look at the domino effect of that. They have a rotation of pass rushers that play the other positions. If you plug Clowney in, that's going to counteract what they have built up there, and it will be a lateral move. They would likely have to trade or just let one of their other pass rushers walk. The pick just doesn't make since to me personnel wise, financial wise, etc.

Ok. I'll come out and say it. Picking Clowney makes no sense for the Texans. Its like buying another car when you already have 3 reliable ones. Picking a QB though. That's like buying a new car when you have 1995 Plymouth Voyager with 400,000 miles on it.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, but you have to look at the domino effect of that. They have a rotation of pass rushers that play the other positions. If you plug Clowney in, that's going to counteract what they have built up there, and it will be a lateral move. They would likely have to trade or just let one of their other pass rushers walk. The pick just doesn't make since to me personnel wise, financial wise, etc.

Ok. I'll come out and say it. Picking Clowney makes no sense for the Texans. Its like buying another car when you already have 3 reliable ones. Picking a QB though. That's like buying a new car when you have 1995 Plymouth Voyager with 400,000 miles on it.

Yeah, but are any of these QB's worth it. You could take chance and pay one big bucks, but none look worthy. Clowney is a sure pick, you have others behind for depth or injuries in case but with Swat and Clowney. They are lockdown for the next 6 or 7 years at least.

I agree, the pick is a QB for sure, but who is worthy?? Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel??

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick one right now, I'd go with Bortles. He seems like the safest bet. Big build, big arm, a lot of experience. But we'll have to see what happens at the combine and workouts before we can really answer this question.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick one right now, I'd go with Bortles. He seems like the safest bet. Big build, big arm, a lot of experience. But we'll have to see what happens at the combine and workouts before we can really answer this question.

I wanna say Bridgewater. And Bortles haven't seen a ton from him, but like you said he is the NFL QB prototype---build, strong arm, and has some wheels too.

Right now before the combine, Bridgewater. But I still take Clowney, if I'm not sure about those guys.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade down or stand pat

If the Texans were smart they would trade down, but they aren't smart.

HOU has turned the page on Shaub...they must get a QB from this draft or trade for one (WAS - Cousins is available).

Trade the pick...no king's ranson imo...ATL imo is the strongest suitor. But, they won't over pay... at 6 they're going to get a much needed plug n play OT....I don't expect more than swapping 1st + a 3rd rounder from them.

That would be the best spot imo for HOU to trade down, still get a QB and an extra pick.

Picking Clowney, then trading a 2nd for Cousin or Mallet, and getting a WR in the 3rd might be the safest thing to do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but are any of these QB's worth it. You could take chance and pay one big bucks, but none look worthy. Clowney is a sure pick, you have others behind for depth or injuries in case but with Swat and Clowney. They are lockdown for the next 6 or 7 years at least.

I agree, the pick is a QB for sure, but who is worthy?? Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel??

No doubt Clowney is the safest pick...regardless of which QB you take, (imo Manziel talent wise is not in the conversation) if you miss on the position...it's a slippery slope to get off (see CLE Browns, PIT post Bradshaw & pre Rothilsberger)

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney will be a bust. Mark it down and remember it. The guy bought into his own hype and then effectively sat last season out. I see him JaMarcus Russelling his way out of the league in under 3 years.

You haven't a clue what your talking about. Clowney was double and triple teamed all year long.
Additionally, teams in the SEC planned around him and either ran right at him with a double team or even triple teamed including a FB blocking him.

Clowney is everything he is advertised to be big dominant and fast. At the next level teams will noybbe able to double and triple team him all the time.

:laugh3:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't a clue what your talking about. Clowney was double and triple teamed all year long.
Additionally, teams in the SEC planned around him and either ran right at him with a double team or even triple teamed including a FB blocking him.

Clowney is everything he is advertised to be big dominant and fast. At the next level teams will noybbe able to double and triple team him all the time.

Why would NFL teams not be able to double team him? I could see that, if he was playing on the Texans perhaps, having to worry about Watts, but nobody knows which team will land him at this time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Clowney is a great prospect, but just based on position, hype, etc. he could bust. Not saying he will. but the potential is there mostly because of the hype surrounding him.

To your point...the coaches @ SCAR didn't do him any favors...they had another NFL caliber DE on the other side in Chaz Sutton, but they mostly played Clowney @ RDE so teams knew where he be lined up making it easy to bring help.

Plus...it's pretty clear that an agent type got to Clowney LY and said...you're already the top pick in the draft...don't get hurt. That's noteworthy that he kind of bagged the season, but I can't blame him for that.

Repeating myself here, but the safest play for HOU imo is to take Clowney, and get a QB via trade...hoping somebody slips to the 2nd round is putting somebody else in control.