• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "2014 NFL Draft" Thread

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEs contracts will begin to skyrocket. They just haven't caught up yet with how "receiving" TEs are used now, but they will. We are talking 4-5 years down the road before this guys will need to be re-signed.

The Broncos don't need any more weapons. Enough already. Leave some for the offensively challenged teams.

Jimmy Graham's deal will likely set a new bar, but it's not going to be #1 WR money.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Graham's deal will likely set a new bar, but it's not going to be #1 WR money.

Agreed, but it will be a step towards that direction. I think TE money replaces RB money.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB has definitely fallen, FB even more in terms of how the game is being played today...it was comforting to see the last two SB winners be a little more old school in that regard.

The hybrid TE still has quite a ways to go imo to really push the envelope towards being the norm rather than the exception. I do think we'll see more kids in the 6'5" to 6'7" range that are not locks to play big time CBB, or in the NBA trying their hand @ TE.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walterfootball has a rumor that 17 teams have Carr rated above Manziel. I dont think its out of the realm of possibilities that Houston gets Clowney and Johhny Football

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walterfootball has a rumor that 17 teams have Carr rated above Manziel. I dont think its out of the realm of possibilities that Houston gets Clowney and Johhny Football

Carr can't sell tickets like Manziel can. No one is getting excited to see Carr be your QB even if he might be the better QB. I just don't see all three of Jacksonville, Cleveland, & Minnesota passing on him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr can't sell tickets like Manziel can. No one is getting excited to see Carr be your QB even if he might be the better QB. I just don't see all three of Jacksonville, Cleveland, & Minnesota passing on him.
As more of the 'scouts rumors' on their site come in, the more things point to Bortles being the only elite guy. Bridgewater, Carr and Manziel sound like they'll go in the first round but apparently teams are going soft on these QBs in a draft that has really good players at other spots.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JAX...they do need to sell tks but they will pass, they're in great position for one of the top 2.

CLE...maybe, with the 26th pick, but not 4, they don't need a cash cow.

MIN...another maybe, but @ 8, they will get Mack or Barr, don't see it.

If the reports of OAK not being interested are true I think JM will slide down to the bottom of the 1st round to CLE or maybe out of the 1st round altogether...imo he needs to throw on his pro day to stick in the 1st round.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JAX...they do need to sell tks but they will pass, they're in great position for one of the top 2.

CLE...maybe, with the 26th pick, but not 4, they don't need a cash cow.

MIN...another maybe, but @ 8, they will get Mack or Barr, don't see it.

If the reports of OAK not being interested are true I think JM will slide down to the bottom of the 1st round to CLE or maybe out of the 1st round altogether...imo he needs to throw on his pro day to stick in the 1st round.

Unless something crazy happens he is going to throw at his pro day. Pretty sure he and Evans have both secured that this is going to happen. Most of the top quarterbacks don't throw at the Combine as they don't usually have much to gain but a ton to lose if they have a bad day since they would be throwing to receivers they have never practiced with.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless something crazy happens he is going to throw at his pro day. Pretty sure he and Evans have both secured that this is going to happen. Most of the top quarterbacks don't throw at the Combine as they don't usually have much to gain but a ton to lose if they have a bad day since they would be throwing to receivers they have never practiced with.

Yeah, I understand about the combine...and I get that, but there was a report somewhere I thought that he wasn't going to throw at his pro day....good for him if he does...I agree his stock did slide some and he needs to have a good showing to stay at the top of the draft...he would literally be burning cash otherwise.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so just did a bit of research. He is not throwing at the Texas A&M Pro Day but is throwing at his own private Pro Day later in March. Don't think this is a great decision for him. 1) he would have ever team at that Pro Day because of all the other players available so why not throw. 2) If I were a team I would begin to question his selfishness as a player. I look at a guy like Evans who is trying to make a name for himself as well and needing as many opportunities to show he deserves to be that 2nd WR taken so by Manziel not throwing that hurts his chances a bit. 3) Part of the draft process is seeing players in an element where they are not completely comfortable. By waiting until he can have the perfect environment to throw it would make me question how is he going to handle when things are not going well in a game.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every year, the QB value goes up as the draft gets nearer.
If it was a stock you could get rich off it.

so your proposed scenario has about a 1 in a million chance of happening. Manziel will go in the first, Carr may also. QB is too important to NFL teams, even Tebow went in the first.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so just did a bit of research. He is not throwing at the Texas A&M Pro Day but is throwing at his own private Pro Day later in March. Don't think this is a great decision for him. 1) he would have ever team at that Pro Day because of all the other players available so why not throw. 2) If I were a team I would begin to question his selfishness as a player. I look at a guy like Evans who is trying to make a name for himself as well and needing as many opportunities to show he deserves to be that 2nd WR taken so by Manziel not throwing that hurts his chances a bit. 3) Part of the draft process is seeing players in an element where they are not completely comfortable. By waiting until he can have the perfect environment to throw it would make me question how is he going to handle when things are not going well in a game.

Oh, okay I thought for sure I'd seen that somewhere...agree with all 3 points...having a private pro day...my lord...this kid was a great college player, but is a border line NFL prospect. This could/should turn off some teams.

stammer78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report@BleacherReport [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]442445100799369216[/MEDIA]"]2m[/ame] Houston is interested in trading for Patriots QB Ryan Mallet and drafting Jadeveon Clowney, per @NFLDraftScout http://SportsHoopla.com/1lhv6MR

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report@BleacherReport 2m Houston is interested in trading for Patriots QB Ryan Mallet and drafting Jadeveon Clowney, per @NFLDraftScout http://SportsHoopla.com/1lhv6MR

But the question should be what is the "price" the Patriots are asking for the rights to Mallet? Is it gonna cost the Texans that #1 pick since Mallet is already in the league, and the head coach (Texans) knowing that Mallet is gonna be a star?

Last edited by a moderator:

stammer78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the question should be what is the "price" the Patriots are asking for the rights to Mallet? Is it gonna cost the Texans that #1 pick since Mallet is already in the league, and the head coach (Texans) knowing that Mallet is gonna be a star?

Mallet is a back up. So, 2nd round at best. I am sure the Patriots will look at the way the Texans handled the Matt Schaub situation when he was backing up Vick in Atlanta.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cassel played well for a whole year and got a 2nd rounder in return. Mallet is a total unknown and quite frankly it would be a stretch to say he is worth a high 2nd rounder.

I'm not sure the way the Chiefs handle the QB position is the way to build a team. These QB prospects would really have to suck to not take a chance on one of them

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably what I'd do if I were Houston.

Big mistake if they do. Mallet is not going to be a quality starting QB in the NFL IMO. Other then a good arm he's lacking. He's a frigging statue and I'm not impressed with his ability to read defense, pocket awareness or character.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Big mistake if they do. Mallet is not going to be a quality starting QB in the NFL IMO. Other then a good arm he's lacking. He's a frigging statue and I'm not impressed with his ability to read defense, pocket awareness or character.

I'd rather trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Mallett than the #1 overall on the QBs in this draft.

Regardless of what they do at QB I'd take Clowney & not look back.

stammer78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kind would not matter if Mallet has a big arm or not. As long as he does turn the ball over like Schaub did this past season and if the defense performs like it looks on paper they will be just fine.