• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "2014 NFL Draft" Thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clowney is a great prospect, but just based on position, hype, etc. he could bust. Not saying he will. but the potential is there mostly because of the hype surrounding him.

To your point...the coaches @ SCAR didn't do him any favors...they had another NFL caliber DE on the other side in Chaz Sutton, but they mostly played Clowney @ RDE so teams knew where he be lined up making it easy to bring help.

Plus...it's pretty clear that an agent type got to Clowney LY and said...you're already the top pick in the draft...don't get hurt. That's noteworthy that he kind of bagged the season, but I can't blame him for that.

Repeating myself here, but the safest play for HOU imo is to take Clowney, and get a QB via trade...hoping somebody slips to the 2nd round is putting somebody else in control.

I think they can wait though till the 2nd round before having to make too much of a decision. Let's say a guy like Bortles or Carr is sitting there at the back half of round 1 with the way the draft is set up now it wouldn't cost too much to really trade back into the 1st. Or at least it would be cheaper than trading for one of the other guys plus gives your team more years with the quarterback on a low salary.

I would also say there will be guys in later rounds with starting ability. Mettenberger comes to mind as well as Aaron Murray. He is a bit undersized but I have heard he is definitely the smartest quarterback in this draft and is reminding quite a few people of a guy like Drew Brees.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say a guy like Bortles or Carr is sitting there at the back half of round 1
Bortles has a 0% chance of making it out of the top 5 barring something catastrophic.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortles has a 0% chance of making it out of the top 5 barring something catastrophic.

Well he is viewed as a project. I agree there is very little chance he falls to that point. I would give it a 5% chance as every once in a while if a quarterback makes it out of that top 5-10 (and this goes for any of the top 3 just Bortles name seems to be the one that is all over the draft board) they seem to free fall to the end of the 1st where some team trades up to get them. Look at Rodgers and Quinn as examples of that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can wait though till the 2nd round before having to make too much of a decision. Let's say a guy like Bortles or Carr is sitting there at the back half of round 1 with the way the draft is set up now it wouldn't cost too much to really trade back into the 1st. Or at least it would be cheaper than trading for one of the other guys plus gives your team more years with the quarterback on a low salary.

I would also say there will be guys in later rounds with starting ability. Mettenberger comes to mind as well as Aaron Murray. He is a bit undersized but I have heard he is definitely the smartest quarterback in this draft and is reminding quite a few people of a guy like Drew Brees.

If it played out like that...yes, HOU could get the 4th QB off the board @ the top of the 2nd rd or like you say...trade to move back into the bottom of the 1st. I'm going out on a limb and say Carr is that player...I think if he slides by CLE @ 26, there's a good chance he slides all the way to 33.

I think the real board will go much the way our board has gone and 3 QBs will be taken in the top 10 picks and then you're on pins and needles...I like Cousins enough to call WAS and offer them #33...if you want a bigger arm, call NE for Mallett.

Later round QBs...I'm with you on Mettenberger I would take a chance on him (33 is kind of high with his knee. I've seen a ton of Aaron Murray...nice kid, pretty good arm, but durability concerns me...imo a career backup.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he is viewed as a project. I agree there is very little chance he falls to that point. I would give it a 5% chance as every once in a while if a quarterback makes it out of that top 5-10 (and this goes for any of the top 3 just Bortles name seems to be the one that is all over the draft board) they seem to free fall to the end of the 1st where some team trades up to get them. Look at Rodgers and Quinn as examples of that.
The thing with Bortles is that he is the only one of the top 3 QBs that looks like he won't snap in half the first time he gets hit in the NFL. He is the clear #1 QB prospect from everything Im hearing but he isn't the #1 overall by any stretch of the imagination. That said, Darren McFadden and Aaron Curry were #1 overall types in the past so they can bust, too

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post Combine

1. Texans - Blake Bortles QB

Safest QB pick just due to his size. I think if Clowney had 10 sacks last year, he goes in this spot but he didn't and the Texans already have a good pass rush.

2. Browns* - Teddy Bridgewater QB

Browns have a #1 WR and just invested in a freak pass rusher last year. Id say they could fall back on Hoyer but they fired Lombardi so thats probably a sign that they are going in a different direction. For this hypothetical, Im assuming they trade up with the Rams to get Bridgewater because he is more pro ready than Manziel. The Browns seem like an organization that wants to win now.

3. Jaguars - Jadeveon Clowney DE

Clowney is just a safer pick than Manziel and has a higher upside than Matthews.

4. Rams* - Jake Matthews OT

Jeff Fisher drafting an offensive lineman high never happens but he also strikes me as a loyal guy and he played with and coached Matthews' dad. There is also the argument that he is BPA at this point and Barksdale is probably best served as a backup OT anyways. Saffold is likely going to command too much on the open market and is very injury prone so I dont see the Rams going all in on him.

5. Raiders - Johnny Manziel QB

Someone has to roll the dice. Raiders seem like a good candidate to do so.

6. Falcons - Greg Robinson OT/G

Physical freak that should start inside but might eventually take over at LT a year or two down the road and certainly has pro bowl potential.

7. Bucs - Khalil Mack DE/OLB

Mayock's #1 guy. This is probably as low as a Von Miller type prospect can realistically go.

8. Vikings - Kony Ealy DL

Ealy is an every down guy that can play the run or pass. Not sure he has even come close to his potential yet. 90% chance Vikings go defense with this pick and Barr seems more like a 3-4 guy

9. Bills - Anthony Barr OLB

The Bills need offense but you never pass on an elite pass rusher at this point in the draft.

10. Lions - Sammy Watkins WR

The perfect fit for the player and team. As low as Watkins can go but dont be surprised if he falls this far if only because of how deep this class.

11. Titans - Stephon Tuitt DL

I'm not huge on Tuitt but hasn't even remotely come close to his potential and has great measurables. Tuitt is also scheme flexible which is a bonus but is probably best as a 3-4 DE

12. Giants - Taylor Lewan OT

BPA pick. The Giants have to get better on offense and Eli has to stop turning the ball over.

13. Rams - Justin Gilbert CB

Rams gave up more yards than anyone else to #1 Wide Receivers last year and that was with a dominant pass rush. Finnegan is probably going to get cut and that frees up a need at CB. Verrett is probably a better fit for that specific role but Gilbert is the better talent and could eventually be a #1 CB.

14. Bears - Aaron Donald DT

If the Giants and Rams don't take him, the Bears gladly will. This is likely going to be the popular pick to be mocked to the Bears.

15. Steelers - Mike Evans WR
16. Cowboys - Timmy Jernigan DT

These picks probably don't need much explanation

17. Ravens - Eric Ebron TE

I think most Ravens fans would want a WR here but Ebron is the best receiving target on the board.

18. Jets - Odell Beckham Jr WR

If you can catch footballs from Mettenberger, you can catch footballs from anyone.

19. Dolphins - Zach Martin G/T
20. Cardinals - Morgan Moses OT

With the Alabama OT falling out of the first round and Richardson maybe having knee issues, I think this is the end of the 'safe' picks at OT.

21. Packers - CJ Mosley ILB

A top 15 talent who falls due to positional value.

22. Eagles - Darqueze Dennard CB

This is probably as low as Dennard can go but a 4.5 40 time is still likely a turnoff unless he can woo people with his technique. He certainly had production at Michigan St but it makes you wonder why teams challenged him in the first place

23. Chiefs - Marqise Lee WR
24. Bengals - Jason Verrett CB
25. Chargers - Bradley Roby CB
26. Browns - Jordan Matthews WR

I'm assuming the Rams get something less than this pick for trading down. If the Rams got this pick, they'd take Pryor and Matthews would go somewhere in the next 4 picks.

27. Saints - Dee Ford OLB
28. Panthers - Calvin Pryor S
29. Niners - Ra'shede Hageman DL
30. Patriots - Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE
31. Broncos - Ryan Shazier OLB
32. Seahawks - Brandin Cooks WR

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think Watkins will fall to #10 and the Rams won't draft him??

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are so many damn good WR's, CB's, and DL/OL-man in this 1st round. So be interesting because there are so potential great players, teams could go different ways.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think Watkins will fall to #10 and the Rams won't draft him??
The reality is that the Dolphins let go of Jake Long for a reason and even though he was good last year, he has a very high probability of getting hurt. Fisher thinks so highly of Saffold that he kicked him inside to play Guard. He played well at Guard but someone is going to give his injury prone self a big contract and its not going to be the Rams.

The Rams could take Watkins. I just dont know if back to back 1st rounders on WRs is smart. Ever. Unless one totally busts or one is Jerry Rice

Its crazy how good this draft is. You could talk me into any of these guys being top 15 picks

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The chances the Cardinals take a LT outside of the top 3(Matthews,Robinson, & Lewan) @ #20 are slim to none. Arizona is a BPA team. Besides that, it is very likely that the Cardinals sign a LT in free agency.

If the draft panned out like you have it when the Cardinals pick, the likely pick is Prior, Clinton-Dix, Dennard, or Ford.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The chances the Cardinals take a LT outside of the top 3(Matthews,Robinson, & Lewan) @ #20 are slim to none. Arizona is a BPA team. Besides that, it is very likely that the Cardinals sign a LT in free agency.

If the draft panned out like you have it when the Cardinals pick, the likely pick is Prior, Clinton-Dix, Dennard, or Ford.
Ill admit that I had Dennard in there at first because he was BPA but I'm not sure how invested the AZ Cardinals are in the rest of the secondary. I had him and Mosley as the BPAs but I do think the tackle out of Virginia is going in that range.

fearthepelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if the Saints go with Ford. I really like him as a player, but the Saints have not drafted a LB in the first 2 rounds under Loomis.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton...good stuff.

#6 ATL...a little local flavor here. Right now it's about 50/50 OL or edge rusher in terms of the fans.

The owner has flat out said he wants protection for his $100 mil investment. Robinson...I love the pick for the Falcons...they would likely plug him in at RT this season and eventually swap sides with Sam Baker.

But...Given this mandate, Dimitroff is not real comfortable with Baker (suffered a season ending injury LY) on the left side and he really, really wants to fix this pass rush...look for ATL to go hard after Albert in FA, and take Clowney/Mack/Barr with the 6th pick.

On #15...jmho...if it played (Evans and Ebron on the board) I think Colbert might take Ebron and look to buffer the WR corp with a later pick.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ebron to the Steelers definitely makes a little more sense than Evans for a couple of reasons. 1) Talent wise not sure there is much of a difference and it does seem with the way the NFL is going TE's are the flavor of the month. 2) Just thinking down the road a bit but TE's are cheaper to resign so if you are getting similar skill level TE makes much more sense cap wise. 3) With how deep this receiver class is I do think 2nd and 3rd round guys in this draft truly can develop into at least low end #1 receivers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your pick for the Broncos by the way is one I have thought long and hard about. I really like Shazier and think he brings such athleticism to our Linebacker core that already has two very good Linebackers. My only question with him is his size but then again it is hard to pass him up. To me he is Ogletree without the question marks. Maybe not quite to his athleticism but close.

Now I will say the Broncos have been linked already to really like Mosley and Pryor. If both of them fall that far honestly I think the Broncos make a move to trade up for one of them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ebron to the Steelers definitely makes a little more sense than Evans for a couple of reasons. 1) Talent wise not sure there is much of a difference and it does seem with the way the NFL is going TE's are the flavor of the month. 2) Just thinking down the road a bit but TE's are cheaper to resign so if you are getting similar skill level TE makes much more sense cap wise. 3) With how deep this receiver class is I do think 2nd and 3rd round guys in this draft truly can develop into at least low end #1 receivers.

1 & 3)...I agree 100% there...if they feel Haley can be creative and use a hybrid type TE...he does make more sense.

2) I didn't think about that, but if he's a great player you're gonna have to pay dearly to keep them but position wise...less than a WR.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really, Really, REALLY hope this is how it plays out the Ravens have Evans fall into their lap. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath. I was hoping for a poor combine showing and the freakin' exact opposite occurred. A measly .03 seconds slower than De'Anthony Thomas? 37-inch vertical leap? Are you kidding me???

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really, Really, REALLY hope this is how it plays out the Ravens have Evans fall into their lap. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath. I was hoping for a poor combine showing and the freakin' exact opposite occurred. A measly .03 seconds slower than De'Anthony Thomas? 37-inch vertical leap? Are you kidding me???

I like both players and honestly you can't go wrong with either. I would say Evans and Ebron are two of the safer picks in this draft. They both offer a lot for whatever team drafts them. Ebron just makes sense more on the money side of it in my opinion and is why I would take him over say Evans but like I said getting either sounds good to me. If Evans were to fall that far to say the Ravens pick I honestly wouldn't mind the Broncos going after him as he has already said he wants to play for the Broncos and I think he fits our offense perfectly. Although I don't know of many offenses that he doesn't work for.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like both players and honestly you can't go wrong with either. I would say Evans and Ebron are two of the safer picks in this draft. They both offer a lot for whatever team drafts them. Ebron just makes sense more on the money side of it in my opinion and is why I would take him over say Evans but like I said getting either sounds good to me. If Evans were to fall that far to say the Ravens pick I honestly wouldn't mind the Broncos going after him as he has already said he wants to play for the Broncos and I think he fits our offense perfectly. Although I don't know of many offenses that he doesn't work for.

TEs contracts will begin to skyrocket. They just haven't caught up yet with how "receiving" TEs are used now, but they will. We are talking 4-5 years down the road before this guys will need to be re-signed.

The Broncos don't need any more weapons. Enough already. Leave some for the offensively challenged teams.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm low on Evans. His range is 9-15, though, after the combine. I don't think he can make it to the Ravens without a trade.